Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1

Here's the situation...

I've been using the Kodak P880 for some time now but recently decided to upgrade but couldn't decide between another DSLR style model or just spend a little extra and buy a full DSLR.

Last week purchased a Fujifilm S9600 based on good reviews. However, having spend the last few days testing the camera I'm not really happy with it.

So now, I'm going to spend a little extra and get something with more features, but I can't decide between a higher end fixed lens model, or for the same price, the GX1L.

The fixed lens camera is the Samsung Digimax PRO 815.

The Pro 815 looks to be a very good camera packed with features, but I think that investing in an entry level DSLR might be the better option for me now since I'm looking to be more creative with my photography and develop my skills.

Advice from owners of the above cameras, and/or people who know their stuff would be much appreciated before I buy.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2

I may not be the best to answer this, but I went from a Fuji S602S to the Pentax DL. The Fuji was a prosumer camera and takes very good pictures, but the larger sensor size and the ability to focus through the lens and not having an electronic view finder was the most important to me. Having the ability to interchange lenses mayor may not be important to you.

I'm sure many here have there own reasons for going to a DSLR, instead of a Prosumer camera, but in the end I think picture quality will enter into it and the ability to clearly see in the view finder what you are taking a picture of. Of course if you like to hold the camera at arms length and view your picture in the LCD as you take it, you have an easy decision, although I think you can do that with the Olympus DSLR that has live preview- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:32 PM   #3

i'm with bruce here.. i moved up from a fuji s7000. still have it and it's still a wonderfully performing cam.. but.......... it can't compare to a slr. i bought it because i could not afford pentax's D at the time. when the DS came out i jumped on it. if you want to broaden your horizons and creativity then the choice is a no brainer. welcome to the world of pentax. we are a pretty loyal group..

roy
edit: i think that if you have to ask about getting another prosumer cam then i think you already know the answer. you'll be just as limited as you were with the last one. there is no cure for LBA tho..
Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:48 PM   #4

That Kodak is a pretty nice camera (a friend of mine has one). I'm not sure that any of the other fixed lens cameras will be much of an upgrade, though, and if you aren't happy with the Fuji 9600, I'm not sure you'd be any happier with the Digimax Pro (though I don't have any direct experience with it, so can't really say).

The Pentax/Samsung dSLR will always give you better image quality than a smaller sensor camera will. But it comes at a price - more weight, extra equipment and more cost down the line when you start adding lenses. Which is more important to you? We can't answer that question for you, its a personal thing.

I had been perfectly happy with a Sony F717 until it started having mechanical problems. I replaced it with a Panasonic FZ30 (no dSLR camera for me - been there, done that - too muchhassle!)and really hated it, preferring the picture quality of the old Sony (by the way, around this time my friend bought her Kodak, and its pictures were as good as, or better, than my FZ30). So I decided that image quality was more important than dealing with changing lenses and bought a DS. Funny thing - all of a sudden it wasn't a problem to carry extra stuff around and I re-discovered how much FUN an SLR can be, and didn't have to wait for the results, either. I now have both a K100 and a K10 and couldn't be happier with my cameras.

However, you might feel the opposite - that you'd rather trade image quality for ease of use and less weight. There's no right answer to this one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:13 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'm with bruce here.. i moved up from a fuji s7000. still have it and it's still a wonderfully performing cam.. but.......... it can't compare to a slr. i bought it because i could not afford pentax's D at the time. when the DS came out i ju
Thats interesting to know... that is the camera I had (still have also) before getting back to SLR's (Film ones before digital) . It is a great camera, butdefinetlly does have its limit though. Only difference was a used Canon Rebel 300D was first stop... beforegetting to the K10D.

As to this topic,, personally I would go for the DSLR... because if they are going to get at all serious about shooting, a all in one camera is soon or later going to get limiting feeling.

Mind you I still have a P&S I use time to time if I know I won't be shooting much (weather conditions etc) and just want somthing to catch the stray shot. Or to shoot in a situation that might be too dangerous to risk the SLR.... though with the K10D sealing weather and sea spay not as much of a concern as it was with the old Rebel.

There are times though I do miss the Fuji 7000's EVF especially shooting in bright sun where a rear LCDis are hard to critically view.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback here fellas. And to be honest, you're all telling me (a) what I already know (b) what I want to hear.

Having just spent almost £300 on the Fuji last week, I'm not in any real hurry to spend another £360 on the DSLR... But, I really have fallen in love with the little camera based on reviews, previews and demo shots I've read.

I just decided that I'm going to invest in the GX-1L, but guess what... OUT OF STOCK!!

The supplier I was going to use must have just sold the 1 they had in stock earlier today!! The next supplier is more expensive and only comes with the one 18-55mm lense, where this supplier throws a 55-300mm in with the deal.

It's not worth ordering from the US because with the cost of shipping, and customs TAX etc I'd end up paying much more than the camera is actually worth. And my chosen UK supplier won't have new stock for 10 days!!!

Story of my life really.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:54 PM   #7

Just a thought, but you may be better off buying the K100D which has shake-reduction built-in.

WarehouseExpress.com has it with the 18-55mm for £398. Gives a good starting point.

Or if you want it now, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Twin...504&sr=8-2

for £399.99

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:05 PM   #8

TheMachine wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback here fellas. And to be honest, you're all telling me (a) what I already know (b) what I want to hear.
did you expect different?? like i said-- it's a no brainer..

only a week??? seems like you could return it because it's not up to your standards..

roy
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the link there Dal. I'd already spotted that having searched Amazon. But, I'm not gonna pay £410 (inc postage) for one... Lets not forget this is entry level DSLR and I personally don't think it's worth that much when you consider mid-range models start from around £450.

Roy, I wouldn't say it's a no-brainer buddy. The GX-1L is the bottom of the DSLR food chain, whilst the PRO 815 is at the highest end of the prosumer market and in many ways a much better camera (as they come).
And yes I could probably return the S9600 but my girl has taken quite shine to it so I'll probably give it to her as a replacement for her basic and outdated Kodak DX7630.