Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:24 PM   #1

Here is a sunset that I took the other day. There was no visible yellow, to the naked anyway, in the scene. However, as you can see, the sensor of my DL dealt with the lighter areas in yellow and white. The second picture isprocessed to look more or less likewhat I saw with the naked eye.If I got the sun to actually look red, as it really did, by adjusting the exposure everything else was black. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it to be more natural? Thanks,

Glenn
Attached Images

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:25 PM   #2

Here is processed picture.
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:50 PM   #3

If you're able to process the RAW files, I would try shooting RAW, setting the ISO to 200 and getting the sun to look right. Then when you adjust the RAW, you should be able to bring back the sky that became black.

The other option is to bracket the photo with multiple exposures and blend them together, but without using a tripod it's difficult to merge them properly.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:59 PM   #4

Thanks Corpsy, I'll give both of thosea try next time I have a chance.

Glenn
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:05 PM   #5

The main problem with sunsets like this is the dynamic range. Last year I tried several times to get the sun setting through significant smoke from the near-by brush fire, but couldn't manage to capture the red sun (its an odd color) and the red in the sky. I could get one or the other but not both, wasn't very successful with pp to get it right. Think doing multiple exposures and HDR will be my nect try if the situation comes up again (hope it doesn't happen this year, last year was a little too exciting for my tastes!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:05 PM   #6

Thanks mtngal,

Glenn
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:17 PM   #7

Hi Glenn,

How about this variation? With the title Sunset or Nuclear blast.

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:43 AM   #8

Auto white balance?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:44 PM   #9

This is the remaining gap to be closed between digital and film..... as mentioned its called dynamic range..... how much there is between black and white. before they become JUST that.

It can olso cause color bleed when it does blow out and there are thin clouds/haze around.

It does get better with each chip/processor generation.... not too many years ago it was just impossible.

My C Rebel was better than any P&S I had before it, and my new K10D is much better than that. Sun until just on the horizon will be white (can always color it later) but the edges and surounding area blow out much less than the older cameras.

Below is an example which as you mention is necessary... darker than it actually apeared to not blow out the sky, but again better than my 2 gen old Rebel would have done, and still some water detail. (again the ever increaed dynamic range... likely would have been completely black on the C Rebel 300D)

Even with film you are going to end up with dark ground area, though (with either) in the right conditions you can us a gradient filter to cut down the sky and give the ground more exposure.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the input, Rudy, Calvin and Hayward. Next time I have a sunset picture I will try some new stuff. Thanks again.

Glenn