Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:24 PM   #1

Hi. I am thinking of getting a SLR and as much as i would like to have the K10D, i probably should draw the line and get the K100D. What worries me a bit is that the iso starts at 200. For the type of pics i take, i always stuck with 64 or 100 asa in film. Tried 200 and 400 asa but didnt like it. Both my wife and son have Fuji s5600's and i notice a diference in the 64 iso and the standard 200 iso with the 64 being noticibly better. i relise that the 5600 [5200] isnt a SLR but still. Speed is speed. I have had Pentax's all my life and have Pentax manual lens's that will fit so would like to stay with that brand if i could. Id be greatfull if someone could give me some advice on this. Thankyou. Keith
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:34 PM   #2

Don't worry about the ISO 200. It's where Pentax decided the lowest ISO should start probably because it is noise(grain) free. I thought the same thing when I got my first DSLR 2 years ago. It was an istds and it started at iso 200 also. Not a problem.
It would be like including the old ASA25. Not needed. I have a K100d now with LBA! HaHa.
trvler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:38 PM   #3

welcome to the board kieth. the size of the sensor in your fujis are going to present a lot more noise at higher ISOs if that's what you are worried about. the pentax slrs are known for their low noise levels. if it's exposure times you are worried about then ND filters work well. hope this helps.

roy
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:35 PM   #4

Thanks for reply. Thought that would be right. Keith
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:46 PM   #5

Thanks Roy. I havnt got a problem with 200 iso. I dont do a lot of low light stuff so thought i could get away with having a lower iso as i did in film. I noticed in the reviews of the 2 cameras, the 100d was possibly less noisy than the k10d at 1600 iso. So maybe its how Pentax go about it. Im sure if i go the 100d way, ill be more than happy. Cheers Keith
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:49 PM   #6

and all your old lenses work.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:30 PM   #7

trvler wrote:
Quote:
Don't worry about the ISO 200. It's where Pentax decided the lowest ISO should start probably because it is noise(grain) free.
It even goes beyond that... current sensors (of most not just Pentax) their native ISO IS ABOUT 200... so below that you are actually artificially reducing sensitivity.... as much as over that boosting it.

Again can't speak for the 100D, (and maybe not actually sensor upgraded from the D* series 6MP's) but the 10D though slightly noticeable in certain lighting situations is quite clean even at 800.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:36 AM   #8

I happen to have both the K100 and the K10, and the K100 is better at ISO 1600 than my K10. Not really crazy about 3200 though (not offered on the K10). I actually don't see any difference between the K10 and the K100 at their lowest ISO levels (100 for K10 and 200 for K100) - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the K100, it's a very nice camera, and I still use it quite often. Take a look around here for pictures - quite a few people use the K100, and I've done several threads about comparing my two cameras, including some comparison shots with a SMC M 50mm 1.4 on one camera and a SMC M 50mm 1.7 on the other. Both those lenses were bought in the very early 1980s.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:43 AM   #9

Then again what are we comparing to????

Some IDEAL???? Even 400 ISO film is not squeaky clean.... let alone pushing it.

If anything in some case I would say if not equaled at film native 400 (and most digital chips already doubled at that point).... pushed to 1600 digital actually often does BETTER than film pushed to that point these days.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:50 AM   #10

Thanks very much for all your comments. Confirms what i had been thinking. Not sure which way i will go yet but im sure my wife would be happy if i went the 100d way. We will see. Will let you know. Keith