Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:38 PM   #1

Was out tonight and bartender (a friend and fellow (but Can 20D) photog).... said get this shot.... didn't have the angle so handed My K10D off to him... you do it.

Handed it to him at 1600, (just happened to be).... and when he looked at the LCD review said wow that is IS/SR (shooting expecting to have it be a flash shot).... and again amazed when I said (after checking) and yeah that was 1/3 sec.

So the Canons go to 3200 ISO but without EXPENSIVE per lens IS HAVE too, with the SR they don't have I could likely done that shot (knowing the camera) at 800, maybe even 400 in the right situation and still enough subject. Actually I have done a sharper FULL SEC exposure of the bartender that took this under same (very dim) lighting at 4 or 800, but also him freezing still.

Below is the shot.... Is it perfect no... but elements are in semi sharp focus... some DOF stuff going on (looks like AF decided on her shoulder) and again stranger to the camera shooting (never shot the camera before) and subject not perfectly still.... yet 1/3 sec. exposure... they were impressed having actually taken the shot... compared what would have come out of their C 20D under the same conditions.

(PS I have since done color corection on it... this is just cropped a bit AWB out of camera.)
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:41 PM   #2

double post
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3

Hayward,

You did that with the kit lens?
I did touch up the pict and let us see if it is better

Daniel
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:47 PM   #4

I have found out that it is better off overexposing by say 1/3EV at 1600 than underexposing at iso800.

This is an almost clean shot at 1600 with same lens (FA135mm)

Over by 1/3 re the shirt at right)

Compare this with another noisy shot at 800 with same lens

I do not have any anti-noise SW at all. With simple tweaking of setting, Pentax low light shots are just amazing

Daniel , Toronto
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:39 PM   #5

Then again the first appears to be undr theater light and the other ordinary room lighting.... big difference in those things.

As to mine, as I said right out of camera except for some crop, and completely spur of the moment, just handed the K10Dto the bartender who had never touched it before... it was just set the way it had been for my last shot, and in VERY dim bar lighting.... not a lot over few candle light (note top of babies head is actually shadowed, yet exposed much the same because the illuminating light was so low.

Over exposing is nice when you have theater lighting, but that would have brought this down to at least a 7/10th sec exposure likely. (And again a complete stranger to the K10D, Can 20D owner doing the shot)

And no not the kit lens, it was a an old version Sigma 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5 (current are 2.8-4) at about 40mm.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote