Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:49 PM   #11

Kjell - I happened to notice that Crashman's sport picture doesn't feature a round ball, either! Good shot, by the way- I'm not very knowledgeable about various sports - is that a rugby ball?

Thanks for the complements, but these are only so-so attempts (getting there, though). The funny thing is that I don't have kids and really have no particular reason why I would want to suddenly start shooting sports. Perhaps its because I've heard so much about how you need big-time expensive equipment to do sports right, and I wanted to see what type of quality/limitations there would be for the "rest of us." It does seem to partly depend on the sport - some are more predictive than others, making the use of a manual focus lens more practical. It's a fun, interesting exercise (not yet completed), and a definite change from flowers and bees.

I do have much more respect for pro sports photographers!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:58 PM   #12

Good captures all despite the challenges you found in taking them and that you need to shoot alot to get those shots.

The Pentax can take some good action shots but the keepers are few in comparison with a camera that has a higher frame/sec. Thus, why I mentioned earlier about why I went with a camera capable of 5 frames per second at 100 shots per clip. Pentax just does not do that, but it can get great shots.

I tried out the differences in shooting a penalty kick for Football (voetball, futbol, calcio) aka. Soccer. It was quite big in fact. I love my Pentax and found if I go with spot meter and spot focus that I could improve on my success rate and works great for kid sports.

Whatever the camera though getting good action/sports shots is not so easy but can be learned with practice and patience.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:29 PM   #13

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The funny thing is that I don't have kids and really have no particular reason why I would want to suddenly start shooting sports.
Heck, who needs a reason? I have no interest in racing but it was cool to try to take pictures of the cars. I think your shots are good, especially the place kicker and the final long jumper (whom I would not want to meet in a dark alley). Remember also, the pros may have more expensive cameras and lenses, but they also have gobs and gobs of memory cards. I am sure they also are unhappy with most of their shots.

When I was trying to pan with thecars I was shooting at either 1/180 or 1/350 most of the time, so I would wager that you are right and that the jumping shots were motion blurred at 1/250, not out of focus.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:00 PM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Kjell - I happened to notice that Crashman's sport picture doesn't feature a round ball, either!
Well, I have heard that most of ozare "the outbacks", meaning it's very far from civilization. So let get it down right: round ball=civilization, weird shaped ball=still a li'll bit to go. :lol:

Nontheless, even far from Rome you find some really good photographers!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:28 PM   #15

we gave up on the round ball. the bounce was too predictable.. hehe

roy
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:31 PM   #16

You cheeky so and so Kjell, actually those in OZ are quite civilised, they even have traffic lights and sealed roads :blah:

Mtngal, yes that is a rubgy ball, they were playing a game of touch rubgy, actually called 'Oz tag" to tackle you have to remove one of the tags attached by velcro on the opponents hip to tackle.

The shot was one of many I took when I was in Tonga last year.

I have seen the local youth here in Timor play soccer on a gravel field just up the road from where I am staying and I keep meaning to go and shoot a few shots of them playing in rain and the mud.

Crash

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:37 PM   #17

Hi Crashman,

Is that a new lens from Sigma? It looks to be pretty good for sport shots. When did they release that model? I have not heard about the 28-700mm f2.8. LOL!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:49 PM   #18

Yeah an awesome lens 700mm f/2.8, I was actually in Australia when I took that photo all the way over in Tonga :lol::lol:

Sorry Typo..:sad:28-70mm lens.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:24 PM   #19

Sport is a slice of life and all life is interesting, so all photos are interesting.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:56 PM   #20

ROTFLMAO! All of you are just TOO MUCH - I had to let my hubby read this thread so he could see what I was laughing so hard about!

Spent a few more minutes at lunch looking for more sports subjects. Today it was back to track. After getting half of a back (nicely focused), decapitating someone else, and capturing a leading leg, I managed to get this shot. I learned that you can get too close for a manual focus 300mm lens, by the way, and that hurdles are much harder closer up than from the top of the grandstands. The other thing I learned is thatpractice hurdles are set up for the convenience of the runners - theydon't run into the sun,making it impossible to capture facial expressions whenits around noon.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote