Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1

I've been trying my hand at sports photography recently (something different than the turtles and flowers in the botanical gardens). Yesterday was overcast but I was fairly pleased with a couple I took of someone practicing kicking (taken from well over a football field away).

Today was sunny so I thought I'd try faster shutter speeds and bigger aperture, since I got so much motion blur the day before. The kickers weren't around and a center practicing snaps isn't very interesting from a long distance, so I headed over to the track. There I could get much closer, but discovered the major limitations of trying to shoot sports with a small DOF and a manual focus lens - far fewer "keepers" than the day before. Also found out why pros don't like photographing games on bright, sunny days.

All were taken with the K10 and A*300 lens.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:57 PM   #2

I had better luck catching the action with single shot than with continuous shooting. I got this one, but the next one in the series was too late to catch the ball.
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:00 AM   #3

Today's track takes. I like this one but it's really a lousy picture because of the clutter in the background.
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:02 AM   #4

This is one of the few where the focus was right on. I took two other pictures that were perfectly timed (one where a runner is just leaving the starting blocks and another of a hurtler at the top of a jump over the hurtle) but are both just a bit too much out of focus (focused either behind or in front of the person). Very frustrating, when the timing was so good!
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:07 AM   #5

Just thought I would throw this one in as a last shot, since the other one I took of a long-jumper wasn't very good (this girl had just finished raking the sand after the jump). I found out that 1/1250 isn't quite good enough for a shutter speed, or else my focus was off, but the person jumping wasn't in focus.

Since I had so much trouble photographing people, I now have much more respect for those who do sports photography on a regular basis. And I can't imagine being able to catch a speeding race car!
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:38 AM   #6

Well, I guess anythingwill bedifficult till you master it! You're well on the way, Harriet.

PS Did you tell the guy on the first pics that there's something wrong with his ball? It's not ball-shaped!:blahS

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:24 AM   #7

Kjell

Funny Shaped Ball. :lol:

mtngal

How dare you take sports pictures with a Pentax. That is not possible!!!!

Anyway, great shots

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:19 AM   #8

Sometimes you get get lucky.

These guys weren't running too fast, late in the afternoon. Shot with my DL 28-700mm f/2.8 EX Sigma lens, at ISO200, 1/160sec, f/4, 70mm.
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:23 AM   #9

IMHO you are doing good. As we all know anything new does take practice. Keep them coming.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:51 AM   #10

Mtngal, there is nothing wrong with those pictures. I like the shape of the ball. Who wants round, anybody can do round!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote