Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:59 PM   #1

It has been a long time since I was aware of the fact that I am actually holding a device between myself and the subject I am shooting. I think the device is called a camera or a digital capturing device. I can't really recall. When that phenomena happened in my life is hard to define. I really am not aware of this device when I am in the process of capturing my image. In fact I often forget that I am actually holding anything in my hand. I become aware of this "appendage" when I think I have captured what I feel is "That Moment". If I don't feel I have captured the essence of the moment, the vehicle remains glued to my hand and remains the interpreter of the subject's and my soul until "That Moment" happens. Perhaps it happened in the same way as when I realized that I don't need a flash meter. I can feel the blast of light and based on the blast, I only have to choose from a very finite and small group of numbers to set on my device. I am usually on within a 1/3rd of a stop. One day, I will just blink my eye and the image will appear on a three dimensional projection in space. It will be transcribed to a crystal storage device that will be used to produce a hard copy, if need be. I guess after pressing the shutter a couple of million times in my 27 years of capturing images, it has become an extension of my "Id".

Ben
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:33 PM   #2

Ben, Artsy France sure has a hold on you! Gorgeousface, not so thehair! But obviously you know your craft well! Thanks for the post.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:31 PM   #3

zen and the art of photograpy..
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:39 PM   #4

I am flat out learning how to say "Can I take your photograph" in thelocal language. I need to establishsome sort of rapport before I can start clicking away.

Just out of curiosity Ben, do you have a chat with these models first before getting into the poses and shots, if so, for how long and about what?

There is a coffin maker up the road from where I am staying at the moment and all his wares are out on display on a dusty back road.I know the sort of shots I want to take of him at his work, shaving wood and painting. Sort of gritty grainy close ups usingmy 10-20mm, just need to work out how to break the ice and say I want to spend 30mins taking your picture whilst you build these things!!!!!

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:41 PM   #5

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I am flat out learning how to say "Can I take your photograph" in the*local language.* I need to establish*some sort of rapport before I can start clicking away.

Just out of curiosity Ben, do you have a chat with these models first before getting into the poses and shots, if so, for how long and about what?

There is a coffin maker up the road from where I am staying at the moment and all his wares are out on display on a dusty back road.**I know the sort of shots I want to take of him at his work, shaving wood and painting.* Sort of gritty grainy close ups usingmy 10-20mm, just need to work out how to break the ice and say I want to spend 30mins taking your picture whilst you build these things!!!!!**

Crash
Why don't you just say hello and watch him as he is working. Interact with him and sincerely get to know him in the short time you have being there. You might say that you love capturing people doing what most people would think are their daily "routines" and expressing to him that what he is doing is something special and unique. Because it really is. Ask him, "Do you mind if I photograph you while you are working?" I'll keep out of your way and won't distract you from your doing your craft. That is how I would approach the situation.

Ben
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:28 PM   #6

People once believed cameras captured your soul, you are certainly sharing yours.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:40 AM   #7

Ben

In any normal situation I would do something like that. I just need to find out if he speaks any english or if I need to strangle his language with my limited language skills.

If I get any I will post some.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote