Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:43 PM   #11

He bought the 20D and rented a 300mm f4 IS for a day or so and the results were very nice indeed.

He is now selling his Pentax gear and then trying to figure out what lens he reallly needs for what he is doing with birds. This link will take you to his post using the rented lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10...7594572980064/

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:01 PM   #12

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
He bought the 20D and rented a 300mm f4 IS for a day or so and the results were very nice indeed.

He is now selling his Pentax gear and then trying to figure out what lens he reallly needs for what he is doing with birds. This link will take you to his post using the rented lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10...7594572980064/

Tom
If his consumer Tamron zoom could produce those bif pict, he will get used to Canon fast.
Hope the new DA*300mmF4 with SSM matches that of Canon. What worries me is the cost though.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:15 PM   #13
TDN

he had the Sigma 70-300 I think, not the Tamron.

I really don't blame him for switching to Canon, they're known for their excellent tele lenses
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:29 PM   #14

Hi,

If Royce was fed up with the High cost of lens fo Pentax wait till he starts pricing CANON Long lenses with IS. LOL!!!!

He might change his opinion of the cost of Older Pentax glass.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:17 PM   #15

I know this guy personally and he is located 1/2 hr where I work.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22591153

He is struggling and he has K10D and Bigma. He is on track.

I have not clue if his approach or Royce's approach is correct. They are better wildlife shooter than me. We are talking more than photography. It is about stealth , tracking skills and knowledge of the intended subjects. It is in another field almost

Interesting to see how they tackle problem.

Daniel, Toronto

Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:40 PM   #16

Fergit goodbye, I would hope that he would stop by from time to time and post! I have learned plenty of Pentax specific information on this forum, but 90% of what I have learned has been *photography*. Right now I am hoping to pick up a K10 in the next six months. We all know that there are lots of good cameras with different strengths and weaknesses.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:07 AM   #17

Hi Dan,

I don't think he struggling. He is doing quite well and learning fast. Royce is looking for the MAGIC BULLET. He is not going to find that in any brand. You have to learn your equipment first, Then go and find your niche.

You don't think Ben went out and did fashion shot right away. What do you mean birding is not your thing??? How many of us have gotten a picture of a bird using a manual focusing lens while feeding the bird with the other. You are just too modest Dan.....:G

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:15 AM   #18

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dan,

******* I don't think he struggling. He is doing quite well and learning fast. Royce is looking for the MAGIC BULLET. He is not going to find that in any brand. You have to learn your equipment first, Then go and find your niche.
Rudy,
I recall Royce had a couple post about stupid seagull pict which is what he has perfected. And unless he moves on other birds, it is not getting better.

Quote:
******* You don't think Ben went out and did fashion shot right away. What do you mean birding is not your thing??? How many of us have gotten a picture of a bird using a manual focusing lens while feeding the bird with the other. You are just too modest Dan.....:G

Rudy
That was overstatement. I have never mastered the art of BIF pict at all. My report card is zero.
But can I do better with another Magic bullet?
I think I may/should get better in stealth , tracking skills and knowledge of the intended subjects (whatever it is). If I cannot devote a full time job on this (more like a hunting job), I just have to take it easy and do it slowly.
My manual A300mmF4 is my tool for birding and that is my hardware limit. Badically I am to make up with closer shots than with longer reach lens (=$$$$). If my financial means only allows me to have consumer zoom, so be it. I will make do with whatever I have.

Daniel, Toronto
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:28 AM   #19

dan the A300 is a great lens.

anyway, hung could have at least offered his pentax equipment FS to us. guess he may have kept it. i hope he enjoys the nikon. they have a very good line up.

roy
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:14 PM   #20

*ahem*

I guess an explanation is in order...
First I'd like to thank everyone here in the pentax forum. I've have really enjoyed participating here. I have learned so much about dslr photography from everyone. This is a great place and yes I did struggle with the decision whether or not to switch to a different brand because that would mean I could not post here anymore.

As you all know, I really found a passion for birding/wildlife photography. I have enjoyed great results with my sigma 70-300mm apo dg macro. However, after spending 3 months researching and talking to various members on which lens to upgrade to next, I was quite frustrated with my lack of options. There were no Pentax telephoto lenses available new except for the 600mm which is not an option for me (definitely not hand holdable).

I was excited to see that there was some new pentax lenses coming out but it would probably not be for a while and the longest focal length was going to be 300mm which I already have. The nice thing was that it was going to have SDM (ultrasonic motor) which I really wanted. But since my k100d did not have that capability, it meant that I was going to have to switch camera bodies eventually to the K10D anyways.

Having concluded such, I decided to look at other brands to see what else I could get. This search focussed more on the specific lenses that I could get for birding photography. I found that canon has a great 400mm f5.6 lens that is highly regarded amongst birding enthusiast. Also at that time I came across a sale on ebay and was able to purchase a canon 20d body fairly cheaply so it was a done deal.

I have already sold my k100d and kit lens last week on ebay despite the efforts of a nigerian scammer who outbid everyone else to a final price of $1600. He then had the audacity to ask me to send my camera to Nigeria! Luckily I scrambled and sent out some second chance offers and was able to sell it for $455. Currently my sigma 70-300mm apo dg macro is on ebay. The auction actually ends today! Check it out if you are interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGMA-70-300mm-A...QQcmdZViewItem

After this auction, I will sell my smc-f 50mm f/1.7 lens.

I haven't bought any canon lenses yet. My wife is still annoyed that I am selling my camera gear to buy even more expensive camera gear! LOL! I will probably get my birding lens sometime next month. I plan on posting my pics on the wildlife forum here in steve's digicam, so I hope to keep in contact with you all.

Another reason for switching to canon was that all of my friends have canon dslr. They have quite a list of lovely lenses that I have always wanted to borrow but couldn't since I am Pentax. Now I have access to their lenses as well.

In the end, we are all photographers and our gear are our tools. I know that alot of camera people love their gear and brands, but I hope that this entry has explained my reasons for making the switch. It was by no means an easy decision and I actually did toss and turn many a night before making the decision.

sincerely,

Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote