Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:34 PM   #1

well, where is royce/hung. you need to get back here son!!

roy
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:52 PM   #2

Sad to say, he sold his Pentax gear and now is using a 20D.

He was frustrated with the lack of Pentax long lenses for birding and the ultra high cost of old * glass.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:18 PM   #3

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Sad to say, he sold his Pentax gear and now is using a 20D.

He was frustrated with the lack of Pentax long lenses for birding and the ultra high cost of old * glass.

Tom
You had better be kidding. He was using a Tamron and pretty good with it too in all his bif shots.
Interesting. His last posting was Mar 3 in this forum. He is more active in wildlife though

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:

You had better be kidding. He was using a Tamron and pretty good with it too in all his bif shots.
Interesting. His last posting was Mar 3 in this forum. He is more active in wildlife though

Daniel
I too hope your kidding, his pictures always inspired me to take more myself and try to learn more.

Where's Royce ?
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:22 AM   #5

The last shots Royce uploaded to his Flickr account are with a canon 20d. :sad:
Just as good as with his pentax k100d.

If you're interrested in them there here http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10/

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Canon Digital Camera EOS 20D (Body Only) Au $1,740.20
I did not know The Pentax was worth that much now
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:23 AM   #7

you'd think he'd say good bye.

roy
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:15 AM   #8

He will be missed. To be fair, regarding camera brands, until Pentax has all of its new DA and DA* lenses available it is hard not to be lured away by Canon (or Nikon). Royce had a definitegoal to his photography which he could not pursue with "new" Pentax gear so he went with a proven product to fill that need. I wish him well.

When you look around here you find some users, Tom and Kjell in particular, who own some of the excellent * lenses. These lenses are as good, or better, than anything else available, but they are expensive and often hard to find. My aspirations are far more modest, as a result I am quite happy with more pedestrian lenses or third party glass such as my favourite Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5. I have no reason to leave Pentax behind, but that is just because I am not frustrated by the limitations (real or perceived). If I ever stray from Pentax it would probably be to SONY because I also have a rather excellent set of Maxxum lenses sitting in a large camera bag upstairs (two fixed aperture zooms a 50mm f1.7 and a nice Cosina 19-35mm).

I think Pentax is the best choice for me right now, the future is always a mystery.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:05 AM   #9
TDN

It is true that it is very tempting to switch to Nikon or Canon. Especially if you're interested in the long range zooms and fast AF.

I ended up with pentax purely by chance when seeing a 2nd hand offer for a DL I could not refuse.

If that auction had started 2 weeks later, I would have bought a new Nikon D50. (I also have a few old Nikon lenses here)

However I do not regret choosing for Pentax now. For someone like me who likes to experiment a lot with different focal lengths, Pentax is ideal. In total I maybe spent about 200 € for all the lenses I own, 7 in total, 5 of which primes. And all these lenses can be used with automatic exposure...

Nikon has excellent gear, but it's just too expensive for me...

Besides, since last year, pentax has made a huge leap, bringing some very interesting models to the market.

just my 2 cents...

We'll miss you royce!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:57 AM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
you'd think he'd say good bye.

roy
If I am considerate, I wouldn't if I were him. Why antagonising a whole bunch of Pentax users to say that Pentax AF sucks?
I could sense that his creativity was stifled somewhat with his bif pict. I have no clue if changing gear can improve his luck.
Ira is right. We all have our limitation (gear wise or personal). But we need to move on to circumvent that.

I had at one time toying with the idea of a FF 5D and just one wide angle Canon wide prime (and maybe their cheap 50mm1.8). Well. I stumble on a film Pentax body which is a lot less expensive than the Canon solution for wider shots. Costs me very very little and I have fun and hopefully some great shots.

robar
Quote:
well, where is royce/hung. you need to get back here son!!

roy
Also Roy's OP has told us a lot about this community. A simple line. Well said.

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote