Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1

Hi All,

Went out yesterday to play with the Tamron SP300/2.8 LD IF, Tamron SP Adaptall 1.4x TC, and the P F1.7x AFA (714mm , f6.7) combo, even tho rain was threatening and it was generally pretty dark for daylight. The light was totally flat, so I wasn't too afraid of blowing highlights. I spied this grackle preening, and thought that by overexposing slightly, I could capture the colors that I was seeing better . Shutter speeds were longish, despite setting ISO to 1600, so I wasn't expecting super sharp from my handholding over 700mm with no SR on the DS.

I was surprised with the results after bringing the gamma down in PSP. The shots weren't tack sharp as I had expected, but better than I had feared. The background was almost monochromatic, and the grackle's colors were accentuated, but with a graphic novel quality -- kinda "dark" and spooky -- especially with the yellow eyes -- kind of a "Sin City" (the movie) look was my first impression.

Anyway, here are some of the shots -- not the best, but interesting IMO

All were shot with the DS, above mentioned lens combo, ISO 1600, between 1/125 and 1/200 shutter speeds, f8 reported (@ f11 actual with the TCs -- f4.5 on the lens)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2

i've wanted to see some examples from this lens. i'm surprised you got anything usable at these speeds. a steady hand with a very heavy lens. i noticed some CA. what's it like w/o the 1.7 ?

roy
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
TDN

the CA is most likely because of the TC...also the motion blur doesnt exactly help. using 1/200 where normally 1/500 would be the limit you can't expect too much
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:07 PM   #4

Roy. . . These were taken with stacked TCs for a mag factor of @ 2.4x. The lens by itself exhibits both CA and PF, but I find it at a tolerable level. It's easily taken care of by desaturating the appropriate colors and takes little time. I didn't bother trying to correct these because of the overall look of the pics. These aberrations also have a pretty smooth nature, and aren''t nearly as destructive of the edges they effect like on some other lenses. My FA*300/4.5 has almost none at f4.5, and it's totally gone at @ f6.3. The Tamron needs about f8 to get rid of it pretty completely.

I like this lens, the IQ is there, as far as I'm concerned, and with the 1.4x and 1.7x TCs that I have, it's versatile. I get a MF 300/2.8, a MF 420/4, an AF 510/4.8, and an AF 714/6.7, all with exceptional speed for the FL, acceptable sharpness IMO, and right at the ecge of weight that I can handhold (at least for a little while).

When I got it, I didn't anticipate using it all that much because of the size/weight, but now I'm thinking I'll be using it quite a bit (that 714mm reach @ f6.7 in a less than 5 lb lens is addicting) -- and unfortunately, because of this, I'm now half-seriously considering the possibility of an A*300/2.8, as I know that it's clearly a better lens than the Tam.:? Unfortunately, it's also at least twice as expensive -- more likely 3x -- and it's heavier. For the money it can be gotten for, I think that the Tam is exceptional. As the spring progresses, I'll be posting more from this lens.

TDN. . . Again, these were stacked TC's. Each of them accentuates the PF and CA that the lens already has, but not by that much IMO, even stacked. I was surprised by the sharpness and resolution despite stacking them -- The softness in these pics is mostly due to the slow shutter speeds, subject and camera motion, and the very narrow DOF. I couldn't focus on the head because I couldn't get him to sit still long enough, so I just settled for focusing on its shoulders the best I could. I didn't dare stopping down more and getting even slower shutter speeds.

Thx for looking

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5

These are impressive, especially considering the slow shutter speeds (how you manage to handhold at these focal lengths and shutter speeds is beyond me!). Interesting how much you can get with the stacked TC - makes me think about one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote