Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:16 AM   #1

Regarding the jpeg from the k100d, though the coloursappearedmore defined and avarall image looked sharper than than that of the other 6mp DSLR, I am concernedabout the straight lines of objectslooking somewhat jagged, which was not present in the my test shots with other cameras (D40, 400D, E-400, even powershot S70!!). Here's a %100 crop to show what I'm speaking about. As a matter of fact they are also observable in the original uncropped image. I would beso happy to hear your kind comments in this issue.Do you think itis possible to get rid of jaggedness in RAWformat :?

Bahadır
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:08 PM   #2

Hi,

Well from the EXIF you were shooting in one of the scene modes. What setting was the jpeg on? Was it the largest setting or was it the two meg one?

On the ist D when I change batteries I have to remember to make sure my settings for JPEG are at the highest settings, As my camera defaults to the lowest after changing batteries.

I never use the scene modes. I either shoot in JPEG or RAW.

On a side note, did your mother tell you tha tyou will go blind from Pixel Peeping or Measurebating pictures.... LOL!!!!

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:22 PM   #3

I cannot quite remember the jpeg setting. But as theoriginal file is 833kb, it can't havebeen the highest setting IMO.I just cared about Btw, thanks for yourwarning for the measurebation causing blindness :-) Still,as they say, the concept of 'Normal' in these issues varies from person to person!!

Thanks for your kind interest, Rudy!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:00 PM   #4

Did you by chance rotate the jpg even a slight amount? Jpg's don't like to be rotated in less than 90 degree increments. I've never seen that type of bad jpg processing from any Pentax body. I suppose it could be possible w/ the lower jpg quality settings.
http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pho.../chapter11.htm
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:17 PM   #5

I did not do anything except resizing to be able to post. But, the original isn't any different.

Quote:
I've never seen that type of bad jpg processing from any Pentax body
That's a relief

Thank you for your kind interest and the link you provided.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:18 PM   #6

I don't think it has much to do with the settings you used, other than the fact that you shot JPG. Just about every digital camera would capture an image like that with jagged lines, then process the image with a de-mosaic (anti-alias) filter to smooth things out. Some cameras process more effectively than others, and in most regards I think Pentax has some very weak processing.

It's been noted that the K100d produces noticeably sharper images than previous Pentax cameras, and it's probably because the camera is using less filtering to smooth out the jagged lines which helps preserve details, but produces the effect that you're seeing. Also, the sharpness setting can affect how visible the aliasing is.

Shooting in RAW definitely gets rid of jaggies as the filtering is then done by your RAW processing software which would always do a better job than the computer built into the camera. Here's a 100% crop of a sample photo taken in RAW. In ACR the sharpness was set to 0.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:20 PM   #7

Here it is with the "sharpen more" filter applied, a filter that is more excessive than the highest sharpness setting of any camera. Even here, no jaggies appear, though the sharpening is very harsh.

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:24 AM   #8

That's been a very helpful comparison, Corpsy. Thank you so much!

I'd be so pleased if you could alsopost the uncropped RAW version : )
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:38 PM   #9

I've attached a resized version of the original. Normally I wouldn't give out my RAW files, but this photo is pretty worthless to me. Help yourself to the original file here:

http://www.sharebig.com/share.php?id=s10gqlrvoujXfCPk0

Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:06 PM   #10

Thanks for your courtesy Corpsy!It helped meregard the virtues of RAW conversion once again!! I also loved the dimentionalaspect of the image