Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1

Hi All,

The migratory birds are starting to show up, but I only had a chance at a couple of the "usual suspects", guys that winter here. I only had a couple of shots at the downy, and she was @ 40 ft away -- this is a vertical crop of a landscape shot, PP'd to my taste (but not much)

DS, Tamron SP300/2.8 LD IF, Tamron SP 1.4x Adaptall II TC, Pentax F 1.7x AFA --stacked

1/2000, f9, ISO 1600

I heard two cardinals while driving down the street, but couldn't spot them -- turns out they were a mated pair, perched almost right above the car. The girl was just beyond the 8.5 ft min focusing distance, so this is what you get when you shoot at 714 mm at about 9ft -- Same lens combo, cropped vertically, minor PP.

1/500, f6.3, ISO 800. Notice the very narrow DOF.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:44 AM   #2

wow scott. the cardinal shot really shows off the lens. especially with all the glass on it. handheld i presume??

roy
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:28 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice shot of the Mama Cardinal... enough detail in the feathers, but soft at the same time which (to me) conveys the texture of the feathers. I'm also impressed by the low noise at 800ASA. Nice work! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4

Hi Roy and Jay,

Thanks for looking -- and yes these were handheld.

Here's one of the Dad:

It would have been a lot better without the intervening branches, but I really couldn't do anything about changing the perspective without scaring them off.

Scott
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:17 PM   #5

Wow the lens combo is amazingly sharp.
Great shots

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:08 PM   #6

Wow! It amazes me how you can get these incredible shots with such a long focal length and handheld with the DS, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:03 AM   #7

Hi Daniel and Harriet.

Daniel -- I was surprised (and VERY pleased) at how well this combo works. The focus is a little fussy, the DOF is very narrow, and it's really heavy, but compared to what I'd have to spend to get close to this speed, IQ, and reach in a lens without TCs . . . I'll accept the downsides. The problem now is that I'm liking this FL, and actually finding it too long for a lot of shots, and I find myself half-seriously looking for a real deal on an A*300/2.8. . .:shock:

Of course, it's not quite the same as birding with a Zenitar -- my hat's still off to you for those shots.

Harriet -- I think that the secret is to just disregard the shutter speed if it's over about 1/100 (from experience about the slowest I can shoot at and have any chance of success), and hope for the best. Even tho I don't often "machine gun", every shot like this that I post and/or print, there are usually 20 or more "almosts" on my hard drive -- good enough to keep, but not quite there for one reason or another. I really just try to get the exposure right, and pray that I'll get something useable -- the beauty of digital. . .

Thanks for looking. . .

Scott
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:22 AM   #8

That looks like a great lens, but looking for a deal on a A* 300/2.8 Pentax may be possible, but tha is a heavy lens and in my opinion a tripod only lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:11 PM   #9

Nice shots Scott,I think the first one shows of that lens well. I assume this is the adaptall lens? I just added one to the collection and I am hoping I can produce some pics almost this good with it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:18 AM   #10

Hi Tim and Tom,

Thanks for looking

Tom -- I wasn't really being serious about the A*300 -- a bit too rich for my blood -- o'course if I found one for under a grand, or I won a big lottery. . . about equal chances of either happening. . . but I'll never say never. . .

Tim -- congrats on the "new" lens -- and yes, it's the Adaptall II 60B -- the green one. I think that you'll like it -- I'm surprising myself in that I'm choosing to carry it more than I had anticipated when I got it. Tho I got mine last fall I didn't use it much then because I was having problems with the P/KA adapter, but now that I've got that straightened out, I'm really enjoying playing with it.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Scott