Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:19 PM   #1

I know that this issue has been discussed and discussed and discussed. But when I have printed out 1600 iso images on to A3+ format prints, I have seen none what so ever. Is VPN something that is more dominant on screen? It seems that when translated to print, it just isn't there.
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:10 PM   #2

i've never seen it on the monitor here and never had a problem printing.

roy
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:05 PM   #3
PDL

I have seen it on a few shots with my K10D - however it was found when the subject was severly underexposed and I had to raise the "sensitivity" level to make the image presentable. I was an image of a person wearing a dark dark blue business jacket shot into a bright window. The exposure ended up being OK for outside not inside - the people are nearly silhouettes.

I also have seen it on my *ist Ds but it is horizontal. I was using ISO 3200 shooting the growing end of a pine tree. It is most visible on a LCD monitor - one that is cracked up a bit.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0qjko/s...ures/nei-4.jpg

This version is not full size so the horizontal banding may not be as obvious.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:46 PM   #4

I've seen it on my K10 on certain monitors, even when I haven't pushed the picture, it's more obvious when I push it. I posted some examples here, and can see it on my monitor at home, but not on either the good or the lousy monitor at home. Come to think of it, I still haven't printed the picture to see if it really is a monitor thing. My solution is to not use 1600 much (I don't use it very often, and haven't tried it since the last firmware update). I still am not sure whether it's a real thing or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:23 AM   #5

PDL wrote:
Quote:
I have seen it on a few shots with my K10D - however it was found when the subject was severly underexposed and I had to raise the "sensitivity" level to make the image presentable. I was an image of a person wearing a dark dark blue business jacket shot into a bright window. The exposure ended up being OK for outside not inside - the people are nearly silhouettes.

I also have seen it on my *ist Ds but it is horizontal. I was using ISO 3200 shooting the growing end of a pine tree. It is most visible on a LCD monitor - one that is cracked up a bit.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0qjko/s...ures/nei-4.jpg

This version is not full size so the horizontal banding may not be as obvious.

PDL
Beautiful image..I love the film look grain..No, can't see the banding..Sorry.

Ben

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:50 AM   #6
PDL

Thanks for the positive comment. I shot this during one of my first digital walks around the neighborhood, when I looked at it on my laptop's monitor - I was sold on digital. I also like the "grain" in the image.

I have shown this image to quite a few people - most like it but the noise hunters (C*non guys for the most part) tell me different ways to "remove the noise - that Pentax must have issues eh?". They have no experience shooting Plus-X pushed to 400 or Tri-X pushed to 800 and higher. They prefer all of their subjects to look like porcelain statues, frozen in time - no blur - dead center in the frame with over saturated colors. On this shot the grain inherent at ISO 3200 works I wish it were random like film not in bands. Oh well - wait for the quantum state sensors - then I might feel like it is the good old days again.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:56 AM   #7

PDL wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the positive comment. I shot this during one of my first digital walks around the neighborhood, when I looked at it on my laptop's monitor - I was sold on digital. I also like the "grain" in the image.

I have shown this image to quite a few people - most like it but the noise hunters (C*non guys for the most part) tell me different ways to "remove the noise - that Pentax must have issues eh?". They have no experience shooting Plus-X pushed to 400 or Tri-X pushed to 800 and higher. They prefer all of their subjects to look like porcelain statues, frozen in time - no blur - dead center in the frame with over saturated colors. On this shot the grain inherent at ISO 3200 works I wish it were random like film not in bands. Oh well - wait for the quantum state sensors - then I might feel like it is the good old days again.

PDL
Have you printed it out yet? I often shoot at 800 iso when I want "That Film Look"...Try using ADD GRAIN in PS sparingly to give it a bit more of a Fuji Film 1000 iso look.