Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:07 PM   #1

Fighting Elk - Wrong time of the year - Very Unusual

Normally during the rut ( mating season) (Sept. & Oct.) is when Bull Elk have serious fights. The rest of the year they may have practice fights but I have not seen a serious fight other than during the mating season. This was a serious fight.

Why did this happen??? My guess is a couple of reasons. They were not happy campers this day.

1. Very windy and elk do not like wind it interferes with their sense of smell & hearing. The wind was blowing around 30 to 40 MPH with stronger gusts.

2. This is the time of the year that their new Antlers are starting to push their old Antlers off and I believe it is painful. I think this from watching them over the years this time of the year they seem very uncomfortable.

3. Maybe they just don't like each other.

My guess is it was a combination of #1 & #2

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:48 PM   #2

Great captures here. I have seen them but never fighting like that. Thanks for your wildlife shots. It definitely has given me LBA for the Bigma.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:53 PM   #3

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Great captures here. I have seen them but never fighting like that. Thanks for your wildlife shots. It definitely has given me LBA for the Bigma.
vIZnguest thanks for looking and for the kind comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:29 PM   #4

I received a couple of E-mails asking if they were playing????

I have watched Elk Sparing & or practice fighting many times and this was not like that at all. IMHO they were serious. Why this time of the year??? I don't know all I could do is guess.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:57 AM   #5

Does anyone remember the old Bugs Bunny cartoons where the wolf and the sheepdog clocked in each morning and out each afternoon? I am starting to picture something similar for Roger's pictures. The wildlife line up at the extra's breakfast buffet eating bear claws and drinking coffee until Roger calls "action." He then directs the shots, does any necessary retakes, and, only after he has given a "Cut, that's a wrap," do they wander off to pursue their own devices. :lol:

Great shots, as always Roger!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone remember the old Bugs Bunny cartoons where the wolf and the sheepdog clocked in each morning and out each afternoon? I am starting to picture something similar for Roger's pictures. The wildlife line up at the extra's breakfast buffet eating bear claws and drinking coffee until Roger calls "action." He then directs the shots, does any necessary retakes, and, only after he has given a "Cut, that's a wrap," do they wander off to pursue their own devices. :lol:

Great shots, as always Roger!

Tim
Tim I thought that was a secrete. How did you find out????? Maybe I should change my Internet name to DIRECTOR roger.

thanks for the make roger smile post and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:20 PM   #7
TDN

Actually, I pictured him more like: "Be vewy qwuiet, I'm hunting wabbits"

great shots again roger!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:35 PM   #8

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'd like a 500mm lens, too, but it would also help if we had more elk and bald eagles in my neighborhood here in Dallas. I will have to contact my city councilman about that and see what can be done.

Heading up to Rocky Mountain National Park in eight weeks and will of course be able to have breakfast with the elk there. I'm going to have to stop looking at Roger's photos as they're making it hard for me to bear the wait!

Great shots as always, Roger.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:43 PM   #9

Polytrope wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'd like a 500mm lens, too, but it would also help if we had more elk and bald eagles in my neighborhood here in Dallas. I will have to contact my city councilman about that and see what can be done.

Heading up to Rocky Mountain National Park in eight weeks and will of course be able to have breakfast with the elk there. I'm going to have to stop looking at Roger's photos as they're making it hard for me to bear the wait!

Great shots as always, Roger.

Will
Hi Will, sounds like you have a fun trip ahead of you. Don't forget to post some photos from the trip. Thanks for looking and commentin. If your councilman doesn't help call the MAYOR.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:19 PM   #10

Great shots Roger.

Really like the action in the 2nd shot.

Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote