Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:34 PM   #11

you all know i've tried everything. today i went out had my first stalk of the year. got some great shots BUT i forgot i was trying to shoot an ambulance last night at iso3200. not resetting gave me some pretty horrid macro shots.

i'll post a few. what i did was shoot in raw and developed my normal way except i use luminous smoothing at about 15 and color noise at around 35 to try and get rid of the noise somewhat. then in PS i ran the files thru noise ninja at least once. did my final PP and the results still were pretty bad.

nothing is going to beat a dedicated macro lens but i've gotten outstanding results with all of the alternatives. also, just about any dedicated macro lens you get will produce excellent results. that's what it was made for.

up unto last year you could get 3rd party macro lenses for under 150usd pretty often, but it seems now under 175usd is a great buy. forget auto focus when shooting macros. use MF and the lean in/lean out technique. you'll get more consistent results.here's some of my results.
http://picasaweb.google.com/roysphoto/Macros

and here's some of today's hunt.

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:35 PM   #12

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:35 PM   #13

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:36 PM   #14

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:03 PM   #15

Robar, Love that spider. Tried some spiders last week, but they won't hold still for me.

Took this frog Sunday. It is about 3/4 in long. I think it is a Western Chorus Frog.

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.

Attached Images

macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:19 PM   #16

Well, you don't have to twist my arm too much to get me to post to a macro topic. I have mainly used the Kiron/Lester A Dine 105mm manual focus macro. Roy suggested I find one when I first expressed an interest in macro photography and I have never regretted following that advice. I do have a set of Kenko extension tubes with the electrical contacts and I have tried them with the macro lens. In my experience the depth of field was so shallow it was really difficult to work with, but maybe with a tripod or monopod. I also have a set of diopter filters that I have never used. The hibiscus stamen below was shot with the shortest extension tube and the Kiron 105mm macro, IIRC.

Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:26 PM   #17

The Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 lens focuses down to 1:2.5 and is a flat focusing lens; I have used it for a few macro shots. My Sigma 70-300mm also does 1:2 at 300mm and I have a few macros I have taken with it as well. Looking over all of my macros though, the Kiron has clearly received the most use and captured the best images. Both the bees were also from the Kiron.

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:28 PM   #18

Last one.The main advice I would have for someone interested in macro photography is to just go ahead and purchase a dedicated macro lens.I have read posts from a number of people who upgraded from other methods to a macro lens but I have yet to see one from someone who abandoned a macro lens in preferencefor extension tubes.

These are some links that I found useful as I was learning about equipment options for macro photography:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...yersguideid=12

http://www.edbergphoto.com/pages/Tip-macro-tools.html

http://www.geometer.org/beginner/macro.html

Tim

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:52 PM   #19

before i had the 1:1 vivitar f2.5 , i had the smc M100 f4. it only did 1:2 macros and it's an outstanding lens.

i wanted more, so i took a twist in body cap, i drilled a hole in it and glued an adapter ring on it. now i could mount a reversed lens on the camera.(make sure you glue the ring on in the proper direction) i found a 50mm works best. stop it down to about f16 and use flash.

roy
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:56 PM   #20

harriet, you're on my s!!t list for starting this thread. of course it is the right time of the year for it. LOL

roy