Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:49 PM   #21

LOL! Roy, I was thinking about you when I looked at the second poppy picture and realized that I didn't have much for DOF, but the bug was nicely in focus. I'm actually feeling rather flower-starved, since there's so little in the way of wildflowers out.

I was hoping you would post how you made the reversing ring - thought it was an interesting way to get your feet wet.

Tim - thanks for mentioning the diopers - I have one (think I know where it is) and haven't used it in a while. I'll have to dig it out and give it a try. I don't have a set and I don't know the strength because it had been bought by my father and was in a box that only said "close-up filter." As I recall, it works pretty well with the 50mm lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:29 PM   #22

i've got a set of 3 by hoya #1,2,3, paypal $17 shipped

roy
edit: tim, those are outstanding. what a great piece of glass. i know yours and mine are made by kiron but yours is f2.8 and mine is f2.5 (shows on the f2.4)
my serial is 22404468
what's yours ?

roy
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:56 PM   #23

robar wrote:
Quote:
What thread size are they out of curiosity.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:38 PM   #24

robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
edit: tim, those are outstanding. what a great piece of glass. i know yours and mine are made by kiron but yours is f2.8 and mine is f2.5 (shows on the f2.4)
my serial is 22404468
what's yours ?

roy
Hey Roy,
As I understand it, the actual maximum aperture was identical in the Kiron, Lester A Dine, and Vivitar lenses but Vivitar chose to make a more aggressive claim and called them f2.5. Mine is serial number 18911500. I know you can tell manufacturer on the Vivitars by the first two digits on the serial number but I don't think that is the case with the Dine lens.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:34 AM   #25

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
the largest i could get at the time. 62mm

the viv on my DS shows up as a 2.4.. go figure

roy
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:35 AM   #26

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
the largest i could get at the time. 62mm

tim, the viv on my DS shows up as a f2.4.. go figure

roy
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:04 AM   #27

Here are my best ones as of late, all taken with Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 (@f/22), 25mm extention tube, (and dust on sensor):

No1.

No2.

No3.

No4.

No5.

No6.

Also have the Sigma 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Macro (goes to 1:2) but haven't really gotten any use out of the Macro side of it yet.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:16 AM   #28

inneyeseakay,

Fabulous and great pict with simple extension tube.
It is a prime example what you can do as a simple DIY (for March Challenge) project.
I know somebody have bought junk (and cheap of course) TC and break the lens and use it as extension tube for macro shot. A lot of these TC are manual one. But who cares ? You do manual with most macro shots anyway.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:31 AM   #29

Daniel, Mine was a Tamron 2x Teleconverter, as well, that is before it underwent it's elementectomy ... Didn't even think about entering it into the March DIY Challenge.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 2:56 PM   #30

using extention tubes with a 50mm lens you will need about 50mm of tubes to get to a 1:1 ratio macro. i don't use them on a 50 anymore because i have a dedicated macro lens. i do use them on a 200mm. i put 63mm ETs on the 200 and i get little less than a 1:4 ratio and it's good for larger insects, flowers, etc. also, you get a good 30 inches of working space which if you are allergic to stinging insects as i am makes it a lot easier on the nerves.i usually always use flash. here's a couple Dflies as close as i could get using the ETs on a 200mm.

roy