Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1

Quite often someone brings up the topic of macro photography. So I thought it might be an idea if we all post examples of some of our solutions, like examples of various lenses, extension tubes, explanation and examples of reversing rings etc. That way we have a resource here that we can refer people to, like the wonderful flash thread.

My solution ended up being a dedicated macro lens. My budget isn't very big so it came down to either extension tubes or the very inexpensive Phoenix FA 100mm lens. I chose the Phoenix because I wanted the longer focal length (would have used a 50mm lens with the extension tubes).

The Phoenix has a matched adaptor that allows it to go to 1:1 (the object will take up the same size on the film/sensor as it does in real life), and 1:2 without the adaptor (the image on the film/sensor is half the size in real life). It is light-weight but that comes at a price - it is made out of light plastic and the auto focus mechanism clunks when it stops and hunts more than any other lens I have - I think it's build quality isn't the greatest. However, the optics are really excellent for a lens that costs little more than a set of extension tubes. If I had to do it over again, I think I might skip the FA and buy the same lens as a manual focus.

Yesterday I found a couple of California poppies blooming, but there's not many out there (terrible yeararound here for wildflowers). This was taken with the K100 and the Phoenix lens, cropped quite a bit and then resized (not 100% crop):
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:20 PM   #2

Same lens, different flower, taken with the K10 (also cropped and resized, not 100% crop):
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3

Nothing lately, but soon since it is getting warmer each day.

Tamron 90mm 2.8 hand held, istDS, jpg

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:32 AM   #4

Daffodil stem.

Reversed 50mm Stock Lens from my wife's Pentax ME-super. I think it was taken at f2 or f4, but pic shows f0 because the lens was on a reversing ring. I took a bunch of Daffodil photos for Pentaxium Day - most using that lens (reversed and not) and the stock 18-55.
Attached Images

thePrisoner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:27 PM   #5
TDN

After a lot of "almosts" with extention tubes, picked up a Kiron 105mm f2.8

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:53 PM   #6

Whats the going price for a Kiron/vivitar/lesterDine 105mm these days?

There's a brand new Vivitar on eBay BIN for $250us which I'd love to buy, but I just don't have that kind of money right now.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:33 PM   #7

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
Whats the going price for a Kiron/vivitar/lesterDine 105mm these days?

There's a brand new Vivitar on eBay BIN for $250us which I'd love to buy, but I just don't have that kind of money right now.
For awhile there around Christmas, $200-$250 was the going rate for a used one on ebay. I have only caught the end of two auctions in the last two months, one went for around $130 and the other went for around $160 IIRC. I have considered buying that $250.00 one as a second copy; I really think highly of that lens.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:09 PM   #8

I went with the Extension tube option - I have the 3 tube auto set from Asahi Pentax - the full 1:1 doesn't get used as much as I thought - very little working distance with this setup as well. Here is a poppy taken with just the smallest ring on the M50/1.7

Attached Images

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:12 PM   #9

Here is a 1:1 on a cactus

Attached Images

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:24 PM   #10

Lilac bud taken today. K100D with Tamron 90mm f/2.8
Attached Images

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote