Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:06 AM   #1

Asked this at DPreview also, but more opinions on the matter mean a lot to me.

I can buy a Pentax K110D with:
Pentax DA 18-55
Sigma 55-200
Batterycharger with four 2500mha batteries
Lowepro camerabag with room for 2 lenses
Sandisk SD extreme III 2GB
Cullmann 50041 monopod (30 cm folded, unfolded max 143 cm)
for € 640,--

I can buy a pentax K100D with:
Pentax DA 18-55
Sigma 55-200
for € 665,--

So for € 25,-- less I can have a monopod (to replace the SR), batteries + charger, camerabag and a 2GB SD card.

All available at an online camerashop.

And if I won't take the camerabag, I would pay € 594,-- that's a price my wife probably would agree on (still some arguing (how doe you spell that?) to do)

After I convinced my wife how important it is for me to buy a DSLR, maybe this week I order the K110D, unless some-one can convince me that I really should go for the K100D

The reason why I am not convinced to go for a SR system isif I wouldn't have bought the panasonic FZ30 a year ago, I probably bought the nikon D50 or maybe Pentax DL wich wouldn't have SR either. The VR lenses from nikon are a bit pricey also, and since I'm allways on a budget.....

Who can help me out on what to buy?

Rudo

Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:23 PM   #2

I do find this a funny question, one of the reasons for me to go to Pentax was the SR. I upgraded from a Panasonic FZ5.

Do you use shake reduction on you FZ30?
I guess you do, so for the fun of it turn it off for a day.
If you don't really need it go for the k110, in my case I went for the one with shake reduction. (only had someone sponsoring me so I got the K10d)

When you look at other brands they sell lenses with SR for big bucks so imho it matters.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:07 PM   #3

Hello Ronnie,

Thanks for the reply!

The OIS of my FZ30 is allways turned on, but I've tested the possibilities with it turned of.

At 300 mm and shuuter speed of 1/125 I could keep 90% of the pictures, at shutter speed of 1/100 I could keep 60 % of the pictures.

And with the two stop advantage of SR, I could be using 1/75 if I understand correctly.....

So if I really need it, that was the question I'd like an answer to.....

Rudo
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:02 PM   #4

I'd say go ahead and get the K100D. It will be a lot easier to convince your wife to let you buy batteries, memory, or a camera bag than it will be to convince her to let you upgrade to abetter camera body. Just my $0.02
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:18 AM   #5

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I'd say go ahead and get the K100D. It will be a lot easier to convince your wife to let you buy batteries, memory, or a camera bag than it will be to convince her to let you upgrade to abetter camera body. Just my $0.02
Maybe you're right!

Still, € 150,-- ( $ 275) is an awfull lot of money just to get an SR function, while I'm not sure that I really need it. My hands are allready more than 1 stop more steady than the average guide line, and if I need that extra stop, maybe I should turn up the iso one stop......

I'm still :?:?:?

Rudo
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:08 AM   #6

If you decide to go with the K110D, then I would highly suggest looking at the *istDS or *istDS2. You can pick these up A LOT cheaper still NIB w/ Warranty and they are essentially the same camera with TTL flash metering.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:10 AM   #7

Well I will add to the echo in here

Go for the 100D

My reason for ditching Canon was for the economical SR that will work on any lens ever made for a Pentax.... even antique manual ones (many of which are optically better than a lot of new stuff).... not just obscenly expensive new IS ones... the only choice with Canon and Nikon.

Because I was moving from a 6MP SLR (Rebel) already I to opted for the K10D, but fortunately it was announced at the 100D release AND actually delivered on scedule.... as I was almost considering the step just sideways....
and no sign of there every being a Canon 40D.... so bye by Canon hello Pentax.

There is another aspect of SR you maybe overlooking.... and that is added exposure lattitude..... the ability to go for deep DOF (small aperture) in low light for instance.

As well as being able to shoout in almost any light without flaqsh if a still subject.... I routinely pull off 3/10 and 7/10th sec sharp <70mm shots. Even 1.5 sec braced agains a pole. And nearly always first try.

The accessories are easy to pick up in installments as affordable along the way.... camera upgrade a major thing.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:42 AM   #8

Thanks Hayward!

I think you convinced me, I'll go for the K100D (that means I have to wait a little). The use of smaller arpertures is something I need at parties and so.

I allready learned that a monopod only helps at vertical shake and not with horizontal shake. So I need a tripod to replace the SR, and that is a little to heavy to travel with.

Thanks!

@ Inneyeseakay.

The K110D is sold cheaper here than the istDS or istDL, I don't know why, but it's true.

Rudo
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:25 AM   #9

WOW... That's very suprising... especially with the AF system of theDL only having 3 focal points. I have seen the *istDS NIB w/Warranty go for onlya little over $300-350.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:25 AM   #10

Call me old fashioned, but I've never had shake reduction other than using appropriate shutter speeds and steadying camera at slow shutter speeds.

When I bought my *istDS - it wasn't available & I'm not rushing out to upgrade just yet.

SR isn't that important otherwise we all would have problems since photography was invented.

HOWEVER. If your intended photo style is to use long focal lengths lens, then it will have some advantage.

So. IMHO, if you can afford it, buy SR but that dosen't mean that any non SR camera will be inferior.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote