Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1

I have just bought a new Samsung GX 10 with the two lens18-55 lens and 50- 200., BeforeI even open and start to use the camera I thought I would look here and thereon what it has and what it can do . I know I should have researched a bit more but this was in the uk here a bargain at £500 with both lenses and a two year warranty I had no time to research just snapped it up rapido !. Ok I dounderstand it is a Pentax 10 mp camera with a Samsung badge, even the lenses are PentaxI believe, I learn it is weather sealed has IS built in loads of functions most at this price dont ect and dust removal mode, THIS IS what I am really upset about:-? it seems that the dust will be vibrated onto a:shock: STICKY ADHESIVE STRIP:shock:, Now I am a very tidy person and worries such as this adhesive strip bugs me enough to think shallI best sell the camera kit like now ,I think I can get whatI paid for it ok e bay ect and purchase anouther brand maybe without an awfull nasty sticky bit inside, The thing is this strip wont stay sticky for ever how can it be replaced? or it might break up leaving an awfull gunge in camera or even ruin the inside with glue and dust its such a bad idea this adhesive bit, I thinki a sticky strip cant be a good solution it cant be made to last for long and Iwant to keep the camera a long time, no I do need advise on the strip, or its possiblerenewal (but what good is that sending it away for a new strip if possible more expense and hassle?)or is there anyadvice on a similar priced camera and lens kitwithout this bad sticky strip idea thatI am not comfortable with (at all) on a £500 camera .bad bad bad me thinks thanks for any advice Rodo uk.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:25 PM   #2

I understand your concerns, but I think you will find that all the DSLRs have some form of sticky if they have dust removal.

The only way to avoid this, is to get a bridge camera, so you don't have to change lens, or a DSLR with no dust removal.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 2:29 PM   #3

i read somewhere that you really do need to think about this--- in about 50 years.
if the cam has dust removal it'll have a pad. actually if you are as anal about just the thought of some dust i'd recommend getting a film camera as eventually even with dust reduction you are going to have to clean that sensor or send it in to have it done.. absolutely no offense meant.. all dslr's are like this.

roy
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:19 PM   #4

Rodo "Misinformation Plant" Proove me wrong!

RODO's Posts at Pentax Forums, and my responses:

I am a new poster and please see my sticky post today any replies advice welcome before I sell my KD10 ?My worry is the sticky strip that collects dust , Will it beak up spewing bits and dust is it replacable is it able to remove and or replace , 2 or 3 years is it gonna peel off I worry it will cause more harm than good this sticky bit and should I buy a different pentax or even brand this sticky strip is not a great idea or am I wrong / Rodo uk

There is something quite strange about the posts by "RODO". Now Rodo, if you wish to respond to this post, please do. I have never taken an offensive stance, ever on a Forum. It has always been defensive or instructional. But, I think there is something very "Smelly" about this one. If I am off base, please forgive my impropriety.

Ben

PS...There is Honest Information and Dis-Information. I have been privy to both, if you catch my drift.

Here is his post:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ying-k10d.html

My second post to RODO:

Man...(Screaming very loudly!!!) OOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO...I was shooting at Sacre Coeur today and I didn't read page 237 of the K10D's user manual. S--T...Help someone please, my girlfriend is in Bali for twelve more days and I need help, I tried to call her, but it is six hours ahead and she is sleeping....OOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOO, why didn't they tell me that the sticky stuff holding my D--K in place could fall off if I don't press the Green Button on the Pentax while shooting Holy Architectural Sites and Artifacts...Oh Geez, There I've done it...It fell on the floor. Anyone got any sticky stuff I could use to put "it" back on? Perhaps you could just stick your finger below the sensor and put some of the "Stick Stuff" in a little plastic baggy thingy and send it off to me quick!...

Oh S--T...That's it...I'm selling my Pentax and going out to buy a new "N" or" C" that doesn't have this problem..."Sticky Stuff" My "Ar-"

Thanks for your help...

Ben

Silver Bullet stated:

It is a little strange that another forum had a post today from 'Rodo', in which he states that he has a Samsung GX-10, and asks the same question.

I said:

Well...I was accused of being a plant for Pentax. I guess being sponsored by them could be seen as such. But I have also been constructively critical at times and have passed the information on to them..I am not a conspiracy theorist, but...This stinks to high heaven of corporate or personal come up-pence to me. Plant the seed of doubt and off you go. You have effectively created a negative "BUZZ". By the time it gets out to the general marketplace as misinformation, innuendo and rumor, it has effectively become a major "Problem" that will invariably affect the decision of the potential customer. It is done in politics all of the time. My "Gut Feeling" on this one is "PLANT"... Time will tell I guess.

Ben
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:48 PM   #5

because I had the question myself I believe that it's a good question, only the tone of the start of this post feels a bit wrong, so here are my 0.05€
[line]
When buying my k10d I asked them about the sticky thing inside it and how to replace it when it gets full. I had the idea that it would have to be replaced.

I got a question back about how much dust I was going to get in the camera.
When you've got a tiny speck on your sensor you'll very soon start cleaning it.
Also when changing lenses you do this as fast as possible, so the amount of dust is going to be very very very very small.

Then they told me that the sticky thing would stay sticky for a very long time and if it wouldn't work anymore after several years (they told me more than 10) I would have a camera without the sticky thing, and the rest would just work.

So imho the sticky thing is nothing to be worried about

[line]
Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:15 PM   #6

And given the rate of tech change.... I doubt I will have the 10D that long, and on to something else, and sold, or maybe a back up body.

Been a while since I have had a camera more than 2-3 years, things just change to fast.

My used Rebel was getting toward 40,000 frames on it in about 2 years. (more than the shutter is MTBF rated for as I recall) Therfore I haven't sold it, as it would have to be cheap or I'd feel guilty, so just a back up camera now. Did sell some lenses though.

BTW has anyone heard a MTBF rating on the k10D shutter?

PS MTBF = mean time between failures, a statisical figure not an absolute)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:25 PM   #7

Rodo's Posting on Steves Forums vs Pentax Forums. Same complaint but, one is the Samsung GX10 and the other is the Pentax K10D so which is it?

Well it seems that RODO now owns a Samsung GX10 the counterpart to the Pentax K10D that he is "Threatening to sell":

Here is his exact post taken from Steves Forums:

I have just bought a new Samsung GX 10 with the two lens 18-55 lens and 50- 200., Before I even open and start to use the camera I thought I would look here and there on what it has and what it can do . I know I should have researched a bit more but this was in the uk here a bargain at £500 with both lenses and a two year warranty I had no time to research just snapped it up rapido ! . Ok I do understand it is a Pentax 10 mp camera with a Samsung badge, even the lenses are Pentax I believe, I learn it is weather sealed has IS built in loads of functions most at this price dont ect and dust removal mode, THIS IS what I am really upset about it seems that the dust will be vibrated onto a STICKY ADHESIVE STRIP, Now I am a very tidy person and worries such as this adhesive strip bugs me enough to think shall I best sell the camera kit like now , I think I can get what I paid for it ok e bay ect and purchase anouther brand maybe without an awfull nasty sticky bit inside , The thing is this strip wont stay sticky for ever how can it be replaced? or it might break up leaving an awfull gunge in camera or even ruin the inside with glue and dust its such a bad idea this adhesive bit, I thinki a sticky strip cant be a good solution it cant be made to last for long and Iwant to keep the camera a long time, no I do need advise on the strip, or its possible renewal (but what good is that sending it away for a new strip if possible more expense and hassle ?) or is there any advice on a similar priced camera and lens kit without this bad sticky strip idea that I am not comfortable with (at all) on a £500 camera .bad bad bad me thinks thanks for any advice Rodo uk.
Last edited on Tue Mar 27th, 2007 06:16 pm by rodo

Now here is his PentaxForums Posting:

I think ive come unstuck buying the K10D ?
I need advice please if any one can help , I am thinking of selling my brand new K10D because ive read it has a STICKY STRIP inside and that collects dust , I dont know if any one else has like me has cant sleep at night horror thoughts of in the future this sticky bit just might come away inside the body! or oh my god break up wreking the camera alltogether spewing its collected dust and sticky glue and bits inside the body also the sticky bit I expect looses its sticky so how about the collected dust, Is this glue strip bit replacable do you think can it be changed / removed by the user or what , I do wish it was not there to the effect I might get rid of my new as yet unused camera for piece of mind it could drive me stupid crazy just worrying about the sticky strip bit, I have both kit lenses so maybe a K 100 might be better as no sticky strip I think , any advice please .I am a new member first post,sorry I sure Am bad speller dyslexic bod please exuse that Rodo england.

Well...I rest my case.
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:47 PM   #8

Hi Hayward,

IIRC, Pentax specs the K10 shutter for at least 100,000 actuations.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:40 PM   #9

benjikan wrote:
Quote:
My second post to RODO:

Man...(Screaming very loudly!!!) OOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO...I was shooting at Sacre Coeur today and I didn't read page 237 of the K10D's user manual. S--T...Help someone please, my girlfriend is in Bali for twelve more days and I need help, I tried to call her, but it is six hours ahead and she is sleeping....OOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOO, why didn't they tell me that the sticky stuff holding my D--K in place could fall off if I don't press the Green Button on the Pentax while shooting Holy Architectural Sites and Artifacts...Oh Geez, There I've done it...It fell on the floor. Anyone got any sticky stuff I could use to put "it" back on? Perhaps you could just stick your finger below the sensor and put some of the "Stick Stuff" in a little plastic baggy thingy and send it off to me quick!...

Oh S--T...That's it...I'm selling my Pentax and going out to buy a new "N" or" C" that doesn't have this problem..."Sticky Stuff" My "Ar-"
okay ben, we're even. when i read this i ended up in tears and actually had to go outside to make sure my ''sticky'' hadn't fallen off. whew, it was a close call..

thanks,
roy
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:07 PM   #10

benjikan wrote: Yes i am totally embarrased because we have two a kd10 and gx10 one to replace my bros nikon d 40 one for me they both have Ive found out the glue strip and as ive read up the glue strip is bothering me and my bro , So fari have spent for us both £1000 on two ebay cameras ,and I am still to sellmy bros nikond 40 for him ,and this sticky strip is a major worry to us both now ,I do wonder if the 6 mp kd 1000 would be better long term as the issues with this sticky pad over a year or more it might come off or spew its glue and dust causing a lot of damage. Ive got a lot of (gluestick) fromI can only imagine GLUE SNIFFING posters on this and the not very friendly pentax forum and it was an honest and worried question i put and still am worried about the long term reliability of this glue stripin pentax and samsung cameras, rodo uk.
Quote:
Rodo "Misinformation Plant" Proove me wrong!

RODO's Posts at Pentax Forums, and my responses:

I am a new poster and please see my sticky post today any replies advice welcome before I sell my KD10 ?My worry is the sticky strip that collects dust , Will it beak up spewing bits and dust is it replacable is it able to remove and or replace , 2 or 3 years is it gonna peel off I worry it will cause more harm than good this sticky bit and should I buy a different pentax or even brand this sticky strip is not a great idea or am I wrong / Rodo uk

There is something quite strange about the posts by "RODO". Now Rodo, if you wish to respond to this post, please do. I have never taken an offensive stance, ever on a Forum. It has always been defensive or instructional. But, I think there is something very "Smelly" about this one. If I am off base, please forgive my impropriety.

Ben

PS...There is Honest Information and Dis-Information. I have been privy to both, if you catch my drift.

Here is his post:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ying-k10d.html

My second post to RODO:

Thanks for your help...

Ben

Silver Bullet stated:

It is a little strange that another forum had a post today from 'Rodo', in which he states that he has a Samsung GX-10, and asks the same question.

I said:

Well...I was accused of being a plant for Pentax. I guess being sponsored by them could be seen as such. But I have also been constructively critical at times and have passed the information on to them..I am not a conspiracy theorist, but...This stinks to high heaven of corporate or personal come up-pence to me. Plant the seed of doubt and off you go. You have effectively created a negative "BUZZ". By the time it gets out to the general marketplace as misinformation, innuendo and rumor, it has effectively become a major "Problem" that will invariably affect the decision of the potential customer. It is done in politics all of the time. My "Gut Feeling" on this one is "PLANT"... Time will tell I guess.

Ben
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote