Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1

I have the Pentax K100D and ever since I found out the power of shotting raw, I been shotting raw ever since. I have no problem processing raw with CS2 and viewing it with CS2 bridge.

But sometimes I just wish I can view my raw photos in windows itself without having to open up a different program to view it. Is there any plug in that you know of that can view a raw file in the windows folders like I can view jpeg?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2

I believe microsoft has made available an explorer plug-in that will do just that. You can google for it or search microsoft's home page.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:24 AM   #3

If I remember correctly the Microsoft add on only supported Nikon and Canon RAW formats, no Pentax or DNG support.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:51 AM   #4

ishino wrote:
Quote:
If I remember correctly the Microsoft add on only supported Nikon and Canon RAW formats, no Pentax or DNG support.
Ant that makes me:whack: :evil::-x

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 3:55 AM   #5

Normally I use http://www.faststone.org/ (faststone maxview) to view the raw formats, it's free for non commercial use, they also have a more than descent image/viewer/editor an screencapture program.

You can also view tumbnails of your dng files in windows explorer,
http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...ws-xp-sp2.html has on the bottom the reg.key to enable this.
Only remember that having a lot of these on a directory might slow your system down.

I only tested it with windows XP (pro and home edition)

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:19 AM   #6

What's wrong with using the Pentax PhotoBrowser that came packaged with the camera - it works OK.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:20 AM   #7
PDL

In this forum search for the "Vista update for Windows" thread - RAW viewing in Windows Vista and to some extent XP was beaten to death pretty hard.

There is a explorer plug-in that works on XP - the site states it does not work for Vista - at the following URL:

http://www.idimager.nl/FreeWare/setup_RSE.msi

It is OK but does not show portrait images in portrait mode. It does work for both my *ist Ds and K10D PEF files. And as you can see there are other applications that you can launch to view thumbnails - they are not plug-ins but they do work.

To refresh what is going on with Vista and the 'Vista update for Windows" thread. Last summer Microsoft decided to create WIC (Windows Image Component) a vendor driven interface that allows for proprietary image file manipulation. There is one program - PhotoInfo - from Microsoft that runs on XP that uses WIC. Note: WIC is native to Vista. The threadreferenced abovehas a link to the PhotoInfo tool - but it and WIC does not work with PENTAX.

Codec's have been written by N*KON, OLY*PUS and S*NY, C*NON and Adobe are working on codec's for their formats. PENTAX is not mentioned as a vendor on any Microsoft site dealing with imaging. I sent a inquiry to PENTAX asking for a status and they responded that "they are looking into supplying a patch" --- BBBZZZZT --- Wrong answer - a codec is not a patch.

The thing to remember is - for Vista and WIC it is up to the vendor to supply the codec not Microsoft. Just like it is up to Epson to supply drivers for their printers - it is the responsibility of PENTAX to supply the codec. So until PENTAX supplies a codec - we are out in the cold on this issue. We have to look for alternate solutions --- and although it is painful to say this -------- OS-X on the Mac supports native filesystem thumbnail viewing of PEF files (although I am sure that PENTAX did not write the code).

-- OK bring on the flames, my heat resistant underware has just been cleaned --

PDL

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:54 AM   #8

I still use Picasa as my library software. It supports PEF files from my k100 without a problem.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:38 PM   #9
PDL

Yes - there are third party viewers like RSE, faststone - there are web based viewers like Picasa, but what the OP was asking for was the same ease of use and convenience as going into explorer and choosing thumbnail view. That is all he (and I want)- no web (it is not available when out "in the field") no third party packages (subject to the whims of the programmer) or registry hacks (does the term re-image come to mind) - just plain old thumbnail viewing of PEF images.

The ball is in PENTAX's court - but I have the feeling that PENTAX does not know where the court is. I also doubt that they like to play ball.

Now don't get me wrong, I will not give up my PENTAX cameras just for the sake of thumbnail views, big overpriced lenses, 2.5 lb bodies and frame rates that fill 4GB cards in a single press of the shutter. I just want PENTAX to act like the other recognized camera vendors - and support their customers.

PDL

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:02 PM   #10

And there is always the option of shooting RAW + JPEG

I have used that a bit.... allows for quick review in any browser, and if something needy of RAW's abilities then go to a processor.... if the JPEG is sufficiently good dump the RAW file.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote