Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:02 PM   #1

Hi All,

Took this a couple of days ago. The more I use the Tamron SP 300/2.8 LD IF with stacked converters, the more I'm impressed.

DS, Tamron 300/2.8, Tamron 1.4x, Pentax F 1.7x AFA, 1/250, f7.1 reported (f4.2 on the lens), ISO 400, handheld, only cropped to 8x10, resized, no other PP.

The resizing really doesn't do the shot any justice. . . and if he would only have popped his crest up. . .

Here's a crop of the center of the frame -- just cropped, no PP, no resize.

Especially considering the 2 TC's, I find this just amazing.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 2:43 PM   #2

Your set up seems to be doing a great job.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3

WOW!! scott
you're right about the resize. i've been trying for 3 years to get that shot and they are here all year. gotten 2 i might print but nothing like this. surely you are shooting from a tripod. right?

roy
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:25 PM   #4

Amazing shot with all that glass stacked together.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:10 PM   #5

Scott

What can I say except that nothing beats the brutal sharpness of an old fashioned prime (be it * or SP). I had one time thought of getting on myself but gave up on my ability to handle the weight

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:21 PM   #6

Wow! Excellent shot. OK, my new example is definately coming out to play this weekend!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:10 PM   #7

That is a great shot.

Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:31 PM   #8

Really impressive! Can't believe how sharp it is with the stacked TCs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:52 AM   #9

Roger -- The performance of this combo is much more than I could have ever expected, and is encouraging me to use this beast more than I would have ever thought.

Roy -- Yes, handheld -- luck is definitely a factor here, and with the DS even. We have a lot of cardinals too (our state bird) -- and this is easily the best I've gotten. I've been concentrating on them for the last few days -- and have already blown more good opportunities than you can imagine.

Tom -- It was just a fluke that I even tried this combo -- now it's a favorite, but carrying all this weight will probably get old quickly -- but the way I see it, it's like weight training, and using it should only make it that much easier to use the FA*300/4.5 the rest of the season.

Daniel -- I definitely felt the same way about the weight -- but I kept finding myself wanting more lens speed -- and now seeing how it can perform with the stacked TCs, it's gonna be awful hard to give up the reach. . . it spoils ya.

Tim -- I'm looking forward to seeing some shots with your new Tamron. I hope the Adaptall "fix" works for you.

Jim -- Thanks -- there was a lot of luck involved -- cardinals don't make it easy, but the extra reach I get with this combo does make it easier to get these kinds of shots.

Harriet
-- I'm also amazed and very pleased -- the downside is that now I don't have too many excuses for not getting this level of detail in my future work with this lens :-).

BTW, I've tried this substituting the Tamron F 1.4x TC and haven't gotten any results as good as this, so I think that the Adaptall II 1.4x TC is a significant factor here. . .I already know how good the P F 1.7x AFA is. . .

Thanks all for looking and commenting.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote