Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:42 PM   #1

Well, my Pentax 50-200 came last week and I am in love. It is an awesome lens. Great images for the money. I am selling my 28-300, I had it checked and was told it is fine so I am selling it. If anyone is interested let me know.

What I am looking for now is a good quality (sharp detailed pictures) macro lens, a prime is fine. It must be fully automatic and work well with the K10D. I would like to keep the price under $300 if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:18 PM   #2

automatic??? AF for macros is a PITA.. any dedicated macro lens you get will give you IQ that you'll be very pleased with.

roy
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:27 PM   #3

If you're willing to buy used, the last SMC FA 50 2.8 macro sold on e-Bay went for under $300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280095439606&r u=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsea rch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D280095439606%26fv i%3D1

There have been a couple offered since, but they had higher than retail starting prices or reserves, and they didn't sell.

If you can go to $350, the SMCP-D FA 50 mm f/2.8 macro is $349 at B&H after rebate. There's the plus that it's one of the few good Pentax lenses you can actually find in stock.

Another really good Pentax macro lens is the SMCP-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro ($439 after rebate and also in stock). You can sometiimes find a used SMC F 100 f2.8 Macro, but I'm not sure you could get one under $300.

The 50 and 100 are both reputed to be excellent lenses, and both offer 1:1 macro.

If it were me, I'd find a way to bump the top end to $350 and order the SMCP-D FA 50 mm f/2.8.
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:47 PM   #4

Thanks I will have a look at both the Pentax lenses. I am only buying Pentax brand lenses now and so it looks like choice is limited, but the lenses are good.

Robert
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:06 PM   #5

Keep in mind your intended use. As your focal length gets smaller, generally so will your minimum focusing distance (which is where you are getting your maximum magnification). If you are wanting to use it for insects, I would recommend a 90mm, 100mm, or 105mm macro as these will give you more working room. If you are wanting to take pictures of stamps, coins, or other stationary objects, this factor would not matter so much.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:13 PM   #6

I am thinking mostly flowers, bugs and things like that.

Robert