Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1

Hi, I have just bough a new *istD with lens FAJ 28-80. But I very disappoited with it quality picture, evenif compare with pics. of *istDS that I saw in Steve, or other forums. I alway take a pic. with RAW format.
I bough It because I read in forums, most of members talk it quality is the same with *istDS to k100D in Raw format. But in actualy, it quality pic.s are very bad, evenif compare with Canon 530 that I used to have before. Pics. of *istD is not bright it is leaden, litle dark and blur . Most of pics almost underexposure, especially at >50mm or using outdoor.
Any oneplease give some advice about that? About lens or sensor ( I checked it, and found it had about3 hot pixel, but I am not in US so I dont know about warranty service of Pentax because I bought it in US). What should I do for improve quality of pics.?
Thank you so much!!!
thongnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2

thongnd wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I have just bough a new *istD with lens FAJ 28-80. But I very disappoited with it quality picture, evenif compare with pics. of *istDS that I saw in Steve, or other forums. I alway take a pic. with RAW format.
I bough It because I read¬* in forums, most of members talk it quality is the same with *istDS to k100D in Raw format. But in actualy, it quality pic.s are very bad, evenif compare with Canon 530 that I used to have before. Pics. of *istD is not bright it is leaden, litle dark and blur . Most of pics almost underexposure, especially at >50mm or using outdoor.
Any one¬*please give some advice about that? About lens or sensor ( I checked it, and found it had about¬*3 hot pixel, but I am not in US so I dont know about warranty service of Pentax because I bought it in US).¬* What should I do for improve quality of pics.?
Thank you so much!!!
Hmm Would you mind if you can post some bad pict as you have described.
BTW do you have a filter in front of the lens? Take that out and try again

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:43 PM   #3

It would be helpful if you were to post some examples. The first thing I might do, especially if you have been playing with the settings, is to reset everything to the factory default (there's a menu option to do that you'll have to check the manual as I have a K100 and don't know where it might be with the D).

A couple of things could be going on - you might be using spot metering and the camera is metering off of the brightest object, the batteries might be low (I've had underexposed pictures with both the K10 and the K100 when the batteries are low - this would be my guess as the probable cause), you've accidentally changed the EV to a minus number. If nothing else, try changing the EV to a + number and see if that makes a difference. I know that the DS had a tendency to underexpose more than the K series cameras do - I think that Pentax did that because they figured photographers would prefer that to blowing out the highlights.

Blur usually indicates either focus problems (too small DOF or the camera chose to focus on the wrong thing), camera shake (what was the shutter speed?)or a possible lens that's not very sharp to begin with. I'm not familiar with your lens, so don't know what type of repuation it has.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:44 AM   #4

All pics is taken by my *istD, Lens Pentax FAJ 28-80mm, RAW format, and convert by Pentax browser. Please comment me.
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:45 AM   #5

All pics is taken by my *istD, Lens Pentax FAJ 28-80mm, RAW format, and convert by Pentax browser. Please comment me. Itwas not clear and unfresh colours
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:53 AM   #6

All pics is taken by my *istD, Lens Pentax FAJ 28-80mm, RAW format, and convert by Pentax browser. Please comment me. Itwas not clear and unfresh colours
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:54 AM   #7

All pics is taken by my *istD, Lens Pentax FAJ 28-80mm, RAW format, and convert by Pentax browser. Please comment me. It now clear and unfresh colours
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:37 AM   #8

Thongnd, Those pix look pretty sharp, but the ones in the cloudy weather will always lack the vibrant colors you are looking for unless you brighten them up on your computer. You can play around with some of the in-camera processing as well to get more of what you are looking for. It appears it will be a matter of getting to know more about your camera! I hope it goes well for you!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:42 AM   #9

And remeber RAW MEANS RAW.... just little more than uncorrected pixel info.... downside almost always need fixing.... but GREAT LATTITUDE to do so.....

JPEG often looks fine.... but when NOT.... very little and difficult correction lattitude.

RAW if anything WB has been applied but again if preset not right for conditions... much more lattitude to correct vs JPG.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:47 AM   #10

Have to concur with all remarks, I do think the images are not that bad, as an example I went over 3 of them with some extra post processing.

So keep up your hopes, and I hope you don't mind messing up the shots

Ronny.

(image - apply image (linear light 5%) and a small bit of unsharp mask.

Attached Images

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote