Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:53 AM   #1

Hi all,
I am shopping for a dslr. I was thinking to buy a new K100. But now found some good deal over here in NL. A 2nd hand *ist ds. The owner sounds very precise, had the camera professionaly cleaned and I will save about 200 euro compared to a new K100. What are your thoughts on this camera? The price will be around 375 euro (incl 18-55mm pentax lens). Is it a good alternative to a new K100?
thanks for any input!
Paul
paulhek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:30 AM   #2

I have a DS and I love it.

The K100 may have some features, mainly shake reduction, over the DS but if the price is good value then the DS I would seriously consider the DS.

You could then spend the savings on lenses.

Both though are very good cameras though and I suggest you wpuld be happy with either model.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:25 AM   #3

Get the DS. Use the money saved in getting another lens. I have both and I do find the SR feature to be useful for certain situations with the K100D. Some users leave it on all the time. I choose to only use it in certain situtions that would force me to use the monopod or tripod.

Both excellent cameras. Keep in mind in the digital realm it is the glass that is the investment and not the camera body. Technology is rapidly changing and more features are becoming the standard and/or norm which gets people like me to buy the next gen camera up.

The DS is my favorite camera since it was my first DSLR and I use it with the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 XR Di LD lens as my all around.

Enjoy whatever you choose,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:28 AM   #4

get the DS and use the savings for a couple of TTL flashes.. that's my major beef with pentax, no more TTL metering

roy
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:34 AM   #5

paulhek wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,
I am shopping for a dslr. I was thinking to buy a new K100. But now found some good deal over here in NL. A 2nd hand *ist ds. The owner sounds very precise, had the camera professionaly cleaned and I will save about 200 euro compared to a new K100. What are your thoughts on this camera? The price will be around 375 euro (incl 18-55mm pentax lens). Is it a good alternative to a new K100?
thanks for any input!
Paul
Well the THING I would ask is what is and is the frame count and is it accurate not reset?

My used orig Rebel 300D rated like 10K shutter actuations between MTF.... I could never in good sell that to anyone... having almost 4x surpassed that even if only the 10K a MEAN statistic, not an absolute..... no guilt and now a who cares if I drop it in the ocean with a remaing cheap (sold others) lens/body.

Bought my used 300D Rebel from someone (On BBR and asked and reply was....you mean you can reset the frame count (I knew that from just DL'ing the manual)..... OK you never even really scanned the manual..... under 5K then and year old.... and again going over 40K now on the rare occasions I still use it..... but did again when my first Pentax K10D was stolen in first month until replacement arrived.

And even if they lied (likely not by much just from age and most not day in day out use like me) and now the cameras actually has maybe 50K instead of 40K.... I wouldn't sell it (lenses yes) Its worth more to me as an at reasonable risk/dangerous situation disposable vs like $150 all I could in good concious ask for it... and that's like TOPS now.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:33 PM   #6

I sold my DS when I bought a K10, keeping the K100. I've occasionally regretted that quick decision because the DS is lighter than the K100 and would have continued to make an excellent second body to the K10.

I used both the K100 and the DS for several months and found the picture quality very similar. I did find out that I got more "keepers" at 200mm with the K100 because I'm not so steady any more and SR makes a significant difference for me. Others that have better photo stances won't notice much difference.

Unless you need SR for low-light/long lenses and marginal steadiness, get the DS and use the money saved to buy better lenses. That will make a bigger difference if you don't need SR.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote