Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:41 AM   #1

Look. I took this shot handheld at 1600 iso specifically to highlight the fact that I have not experienced any VPN (Vertical Pattern Noise) I wanted extreme highlights next to extreme shadows to illustrate this point. Converted from RAW to JPEG Medium resolution for upload purposes using Native ACR color settings in Photoshop "ProPhoto RGB" as my color space. I see absolutely no banding what so ever and was quite impressed with how clean the image was at 1600 iso "Correctly Exposed".
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:56 AM   #2

It seemily actually depends greatly on specific lighting conditions.... not just a given no matter what thing. ( That's a pretty bright evenly lit shot)

And while I haven't tested it per se.... just experientially not seeing it, the second K10D firmware upgrade seems to do much better in this department, even where I might suspect it to happen.

I AM JUST ASSUMING k10d, AS THERE IS WHERE MOST MENTONED..... but pehaps you meant K100d or earlier.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:25 AM   #3

The images were shot with the Pentax K10D and the 16-45 Lens. Included is another shot at 1600 iso Pentax 16-45 Lens.

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:52 AM   #4

You have to be married that bathroom if far too neat.... but can't see if the seat is down
(definately not sticking up though in #2. if that is a tank top)

And personally I have not seen the banding many talk of (also little 1600.... with 800 and SR that is usually enough... 1600 is a last resort)

So are you original firmware or the double upgraded? Again something upgrade two seems to have done in several ways... exposure eveness.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:16 PM   #5

Banding usually only appears when a camera is pushed beyond it's limits. The second shot was taken at ISO 1600 at 1/100, f/5.0, which indicates the lighting was pretty good. It's when someone takes a photo at ISO 1600 at 1/15 wide open because that's how much light is available that you'd actually start to see banding.

So, for most people that's probably not what would be considered a serious problem. I'd probably notice it when I take photos in the cemetery at midnight since I find myself shooting 1/2 second exposure at ISO 800 and then brightening them in post, but I use the K100d which has a higher threshold for that kind of shooting.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:20 PM   #6

One other thing, banding is most visible in areas of low contrast, usually the shadow areas that aren't quite black, like the dark tiles in the upper right of the second photo where there may be very slight banding, but it's not enough to be noticeable.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote