Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:28 PM   #21

get the kit listed above. it'll work. usually takes me at least 2 times to get it clear. 3 times sometimes.

i just ordered a SensorKlear from lenspen. i'll post results when i get and use it. i think it's a lot like the digi-pad and i wasn't happy to read the above. time will tell.

roy
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:06 AM   #22

Thanks Roy, I'll give it a go.

Here's my response to Digi-Pads - I'll let you know what they say:

I've just purchased a 5 pack of Digi-Pads with cleaning fluid in order to remove spots on the sensor on my Pentax *istDS which were just visible when ‘blown up'.

I made sure that the interior was blown with a Rocket Blower before using the Digi-Pad but encountered the following problems:

The size of the Digi-Pad is narrower than the width of the sensor which means that you cannot clean it fromLEFT toRIGHT i.e. first sweep holding the Digi-Pad towards the top & second sweep with it held towards the bottom.
  1. After cleaning, I checked the results and was ‘panic stricken' to discover multiple dust spots that were NOT there before. Blowing with a Rocket Bower removed most but left visible dust spots on the sensor. [/*]
  2. After the second attempt, the spots were removed from this position and appeared elsewhere. Blowing with the Rocket Blower would not dislodge them. [/*]
  3. A third attempt was made which removed the spot from the side of the sensor with a small & large spot appearing now in the centre. Blowing with a rocket blower removed the larger spot but left the smaller one. [/*]
  4. A fourth attempt was made ( I used the Rocket Blower on the Digi-Pad to dislodge anything that might otherwise be dislodged in use) which removed the spot in the centre but still left one at the edge.[/*]
At this stage, with one Digi-Pad left, I decided to leave well enough alone and, for the time being, have accepted the spot that is visible a normal resolution WHICH WASN'T there before.

Examining the Digi-Pads, I was quite surprised that strands of material are easily removed if the swap if lightly touched – is this the reason that they have resulted in MORE dust specs than before I started.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with Digi-Pads and am left with a sensor is dirtier than before I started

I am a technical individual & would like to think that something like this is well within the scope of my ability.

Perhaps I've received a ‘dodgy' batch.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:07 AM   #23

A saddening experience, Catbells.I just bougt a set of digipads and cleaned my sensor, havent checked the result yet. But one thing I immediately noticed in your description, was that your pads weren't wide enough to cover the sensor wiping from top to bottom and back. In the instruction sheet that came with my set it clearly says "wipe from left to right, turn the pad and wipe from left to right again". Doing it this way my pads were absolutely wide enough, and I guess I didn't drag any dirt forth and back. I'll go check now!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:10 PM   #24

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
But one thing I immediately noticed in your description, was that your pads weren't wide enough to cover the sensor wiping from top to bottom and back.
Oops - meant to have said left to right (side to side).

One other thing I noticed that the Digi-Pad instructions say to wipe in the same direction twice (having turned over the pad).

Darren's advice, in which I concur, suggests left to right, then using the other side, swipe from right to left.

By swiping twice in the same direction, it's not easyto actually reach the end of sensor. By swiping from either side, you do at least start from the edge of the sensor.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 7:21 PM   #25

bump
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 8:38 PM   #26

Thought I'd throw this in here. I picked this tip up from the Photocast Network Focus Ring Episode 4 Podcast. It's called Discofilm. No I haven't tried it yet.

Here is a link to the website that shows the process.

http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/se...rcleaning.html

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 9:36 PM   #27

I use the Copperhill method and materials (Eclipse fluid, Pec Pads), and they've been very effective for me. I've found that I sometimes have to clean several times to get a spot off, but at about 4 or 5 cents per Pec Pad, that's o.k.

If you haven't already, check out Nicholas' tutorial pages on the Copperhill site at http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

Hope it all works out eventually for you...

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 12:19 AM   #28

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I've huffed & I've puffed but they will not budge.

Cheers
I hope you don't mean that litterally, as breath has enough moisture in it to if not dislodge it .... stick it more firmly. (and also has particulate matter in it as well)

Blower brush, or canned air is the way to got for blowing it out. And the later you need to be carely to keep the can vertical so only gas and not very cold liquid comes out. (Some even tipping it rather slightly... more than 30 degrees or so... can cause that.)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 1:13 AM   #29

As an addittion, the digi-pads do caome in 3 sizes. You must ensure you get the right size for the sensor. It should cover the sensor from the top edge to the bottom edge. That way one sweep will touch the whole sensor.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 1:17 AM   #30

I would strongly recommend against using canned air to clean your sensor.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote