Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 2, 2007, 5:11 AM   #31

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
**** Blower brush, or canned air is the way to got for blowing it out.* And the later you need to be carely to keep the can vertical so only gas and not very cold liquid comes out.* (Some even tipping it rather slightly... more than 30 degrees or so... can cause that.)
Yes.
I like to elaborate on this. The trick is NOT TO MOVE the can and confine only to 2 burst of air at one time. Then it will never liquify. When it liquifies, it is quite a mess . I move the camera instead. Foolproof

Daniel, Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 7:02 AM   #32

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Blower brush, or canned air is the way to got for blowing it out. And the later you need to be carely to keep the can vertical so only gas and not very cold liquid comes out. (Some even tipping it rather slightly... more than 30 degrees or so... can cause that.)
please don't follow this advice.
canned air is the worse thing you can use. it has fluids and oils in it. a blower brush is bad as the brush is not fine enough. you can find this info on ANY site that explains how to clean your sensor.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 8:44 AM   #33

robar wrote:
Quote:
canned air is the worse thing you can use. it has fluids and oils in it. a blower brush is bad as the brush is not fine enough. you can find this info on ANY site that explains how to clean your sensor.
Roy,

It has NO fluid/oil there. But if you allow it to liquify, it is there of course.

I saw all the negative about using canned air. Try it yourself anywhere just not on your camera sensor initally. Leave the can for 10 minutes on your desk and just do 2 very quick burst (1/10s) of air. It is not to freeze up (liquify) which is the mother of all sensor woes. The trick is not to allow it to liquify and you move the camera/sensor not the can itself. If you allow it to liquify, that is real mess.

This is actually a refinement of Hayward's method (he said not to tilt it).

The only negative of using this method is this: it may introduce static charge on the sensor if you do that excessively and repeatedly.

Daniel , Toronto
Old May 2, 2007, 12:59 PM   #34

The other thing with canned air of course is the force it delivers the air.

May be too high a pressure for the delicate electronics.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 2:17 PM   #35

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
The other thing with canned air of course is the force it delivers the air.

May be too high a pressure for the delicate electronics.

Darren
We are talking about very short duration of burst say 1/10 s to dislodge whatever dust there

Daniel
Old May 9, 2007, 5:39 AM   #36

robar wrote:
Quote:
This is to provide whatever I can remember from high school physics as where the fluid is.
There is compressed air within the can. And should you shake the can thereby increasing the pressure of the can, a corresponding decrease of temp will occur.(Pressure and temp are in a constant ratio). When you have a big drop of temp, the air changes its physical state from air to liquid which causes a mess to your sensor.

You can replicate the above by shaking the can repeatedly and spray. And you can feel the sudden drop of temp of the can.

As I mentioned earier, once you can stop this liquification process (move the sensor instead of the can) , canned air is the most powerful dust removing medium to your sensor.

Daniel

Ira:
You should correct me if I err. My high school physics sucks.
Old May 9, 2007, 6:00 AM   #37

Hi,

You can also use a lens pen with a triangle shaped head. you use it only once to clean your sensor. Works for me.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 7:36 AM   #38

silverstone,

haven't used the stuff yet (just the rocket blower) but i got eclipse fluid made by photographic solutions from vistec.ca so no duty etc. i had already gotten pecpads (same manufacturer) from a filter place in Connecticut but they couldn't ship the eclipse fluid to canada for some reason that i don't remember. ialso don't remember how much the shipping was but i think i wouldif it had been exorbitant. vistec has the pads as well and other cleaning stuff.

all the best, eric in ON
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 12:59 PM   #39
TC3

So far after changing lenses in all sorts of conditions on my K100D after a year of use i have not needed to use the wet wipe method. I simply use a rocket blower and then use a Visable dust Arctic butterfly....does the job perfectly. The brush aint cheap but neither is my camera sensor and i feel safer using this method....for now
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 2:19 PM   #40

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

You can also use a lens pen with a triangle shaped head. you use it only once to clean your sensor. Works for me.

Rudy
rudy,
i just got a sensorklear. i'm waiting on their response before posting what a POS this is.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote