Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:47 PM   #1

this is one of my first tries following book by Scott Kelby "The Photoshop CS2 Book for digital photographers". Very useful with step by step explanations how to do some useful things. here's the original (just resized and slightly cropped)

and heres after some postprocessing

I sharpened the eyes, softened skin, removed hot spots and and few red marks and whitened eyes (I think I overdone that one a bit). I think it looks all right, all my previous attempts had very plasticjy looking skin but this one seems OK.

tell me what you think, any comments are welcomed.

shot at f5.6 1/180s with ext flash (I think, don't remember whih lens I used)

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:21 PM   #2

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
this is one of my first tries following book by Scott Kelby "The Photoshop CS2 Book for digital photographers". Very useful with step by step explanations how to do some useful things. here's the original (just resized and slightly cropped)

and heres after some postprocessing

I sharpened the eyes, softened skin, removed hot spots and and few red marks and whitened eyes (I think I overdone that one a bit). I think it looks all right, all my previous attempts had very plasticjy looking skin but this one seems OK.

tell me what you think, any comments are welcomed.

shot at f5.6 1/180s with ext flash (I think, don't remember whih lens I used)

greg
Greg, very good effort on what is not always easy to do. I agree that the eyes are too white, and the skin a tad too much softness, but for the most part, well done.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:31 PM   #3

Gary, I hope you don't mind, but I have attached a version I did with Portrait Professional 4 software. It is an English outfit, I think. It loads the photo in, then has you map key points like eye corners, lip corners, nose outline, and general head shape. You then hit submit, it takes about 15 seconds, and back it comes touched up. It costs about $30, if I remember right. I can't say I actually did much PP work other than lining it up. I guess it is a lazy man's way, but the output is probably better than what I could do myself.
Attached Images

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:27 AM   #4

thanks for comments.

nzhunt: I know this program you talk about, I had trial version but I didn't rally like it, couldn't get good results out of it.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:50 AM   #5

Well for one of your first tries I think you did a pretty bang up job! I love Scott Kelby's book and have it myself. The eyes are a little too white, maybe take that back a notch or two. The skin looks good on her portrait, but I think you are starting to lose some of the facial curves, especially around her cheeks which takes away from her modest smile.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:50 AM   #6

I think you did pretty good. I did our Christmas portraits this Christmas and I learned how much work the PP could be. There is a definate art to this that I do not have.

Between the two automatic tools posted, I think Portrait Professional may have done a slightly better job. However, for the price of free, I will also be checking out. Thanks for posting it Keeoeit, I had never heard of the company before.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote