Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:42 PM   #1

Has anyone experienced any flash problems with their K10D, where the flash will not fire? Seems as though it may have started after the last firmware update but not sure! I've tried installing the last update again with no luck. Even tried putting the previous firmware on but of course it won't install because it's an older version! Anyway would appreciate any input that anyone might have. Thanks, Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:50 PM   #2

Jim, I don't know if this will help or not. I have never done any of the up-dates and my flash is working just fine.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:56 PM   #3

No problems with the flash not firing, but it doesn't have the control of the DL2.

Close-up it is too powerful, further away or with smaller f-stop it is not powerful enough. It relies totally on the ISO setting.

Although the manual says that if you set it to slow-sync, the flash will balance daylight, I have found so far that it doesn't fire.

Confusing, but I have only had it for a week.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 5:04 PM   #4

Thanks Roger and Darren! I just noticed this problem of mine not flashing this weekend. Prior to that it worked just fine! I have added all the firmware updates and am not sure if I tried the flash after the 1.11 update until now? Anyway thanks for trying! Jim
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:39 PM   #5

There were some early K10s that had a problem with the capacitor (?) on the flash that would fail - several people on another board reported having to return their cameras for warranty repair. It seemed like the camera wouldn't work at all in flash mode because the flash wouldn't power up - does your camera work but the flash not fire?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:58 PM   #6

Hi Harriet, Yes the camera seems to work fine except the flash won't fire!? I've tried everything I can think of and it just won't fire! Thanks for the info regarding the capacitor, I'll see if I can find more info on that. Jim
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:00 PM   #7

I know it may sound obviuosly silly...

But be sure the Flash is seated proberly and locked down (and not bumped) The Pentax secondary shoe contacts are very small... so if the shoe can twist just a little bit or slide backwards at all... it can cause malfuntion from loss of connections.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:22 AM   #8

Hayward, The flash in question is the built-in flash not an external, but thanks for replying. Jim
Old Apr 3, 2007, 7:55 AM   #9

Have you gotten any farther with your flash problem? I hate to mention the obvious (flash settings in the flash menu) but I've sometimes done a "duh!" where I've forgotten something so obvious. Your problem isn't the capacitor one because then the camera won't activate the shutter. It did get me to test my flash - I hardly ever use it - and I ended up with another unexpected cool picture. I had forgotten my white balance setting and it was set for something unusual (and very yellow) so I got a really neat blue picture of the brass dead bolt on my whiteback door!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:33 PM   #10

Hi Harriet, Was able to get the company where I bought the camera to give me a full refund and then I purchased a new one which will be here tomorrow! I had checked everything, flash menu etc, and confirmed that it was just a failure of the built-in flash. Read a few articles on the internet regarding similar problems, some as you stated related to a bad capacitor. Hopefully the problem won't re-occur with the new camera! Thanks for checking! Jim