Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:47 AM   #1

Anyone???

Can I assume that my K100Ds P-TTL metering will compensate for the light lost with the Sto-Fen Diffuser.

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:28 AM   #2
TDN

I think so yes, I believe that's what the P-TTL preflash is for
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3

Have to wait for somebody with experience to post - but my understanding is that it might not compensate in all cases. It should get close - but no garentees
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:45 PM   #4

My experience is no, it doesn't compensate. I used the Sigma EF500DG with the DL2 and put on a Sto-Fen. I found in normal use I had to dial in -1.0 on the flash.

The only reason for this, IMHO, is that the Sto-Fen stops some of the light getting out on the pre-flash, so the power is stepped up.

Just my experience.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 4:12 PM   #5

ihave hadrather good results using my sto-fen and the af-540fgz with the k10d. have not had to change my exposure compensation. comparison shots with and without have definitely sold me on the sto-fen as a decent diffuser but i still want to try the lightsphere as i have heard really great things about it.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:54 PM   #6

I hav the EF500DG with the Stofen and I did note that it slightly overexposed with it atached. Not a big issue.

I have the AF540FGZ but the Stofen is in the post, when it arrives I will try it out and re-post if there are any issues.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I hav the EF500DG with the Stofen and I did note that it slightly overexposed with it atached. Not a big issue.

I have the AF540FGZ but the Stofen is in the post, when it arrives I will try it out and re-post if there are any issues.

Crash
I just received mine and have not had the opporunity to give it a good try.

It will be intersting to see how it does and to compare with the comments made here and with your observations.

Thanks to all who answered.

Ed
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:43 PM   #8

I am still waiitng for mine to arrive.......AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH :angry: It hasw been away too long. :sad:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:39 PM   #9

I have the K10D, a 540 and a Sto-fen. I have not experienced any exposure anomalies with that combo when using P-TTL exposure. There is some tweaking necessary if using the flash in manual mode, since there is some light loss (1-1.5 EV) from the diffuser and a bit more from the bounce head angle.
rodeknyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:39 PM   #10

Talking about Stofen....I got one for Christmas...works well for me with a manual flash. The only comment I have is that it is not possible to use this when your flash is mounted on the camera and you wish to take a portrait shot. This is not a problem if you have a flash bracket.

I find Joe Demb's "Flip-It" flash diffuser working very well in both horisontal and vertical positions with a camera mounted flash

-- Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote