Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 692
Default

From PentaxUser UK:

From what I've read of the new Sony there are some that already are available (or will be very soon):

The fiscal year in Japan ends March 31st, that's also why shareholders are informed about new opportunities, markets and products.

Sony Japan just announced some exciting news about their DSLR efforts on their homepage (see Sony Global - Digital SLR Cameras for more details). Here's a small summary:

The flagship will be called definitively Alpha A1 (pronounced "Alpha One") and is available for September 2007. It will incorporate a newly developed APS-H (1.3 crop) sensor with 16 MP and other nice features that are completely new to the DSLR market:

- Shooting 10 pictures within 1/2 second while mirror up for choosing the right image from a series, no more "missed moments.
- Two CF slots for fast parallel writing.

- Regular 3, 5 and 10 FPS shooting modes, two BIONZ2 ASICs that process JPG and RAW in parallel, allowing 10 FPS RAW+JPG shootings until card(s) are full.

- Live preview with a small head-up display in the pentaprism for low-light shootings.
- In-body SSM for smooth and quiet autofocus even with older lenses

- WLAN and Bluetooth integrated (in the vertical grip), for GPS/mobile phone integration, remote control/storage, simple picture exchange etc.

- The image sensor has special parts that allows flash pictures without any pre-flash. Bye-bye lazy eye!

- RGB-metering with 1024 segments, with area-specific colour sensitivity to minimize channel clipping.

- 42 AF fields with intelligent segmentation, that allows shooting macro shots with 10 pictures at varying distance within 1/2 second (see above) and masking for high-DOF shots.

- Customizeable buttons and functions, Java-based user interface with open API for developers to allow creating personal tools.
- Of course SSS

- A lot of software that allows post-process most lens errors (vignetting, CA, distortions).

The price will be about 4999 US$ or 3999 EUR. There is an agreement that Nikon will incorporate this sensor in their D3x camera that will come for the same date.

The "high amateur" model will be called A10, having a newly developed 10 MP APS-C sensor with less noise. The selling date will be Christmas 2007. Some of the features of the A1 will also be incorporated, such as:

- Shooting 10 pictures within 1/2 second while mirror up for choosing the right image from a series, no more "missed moments.

- Regular 3 and 5 FPS shooting modes, one BIONZ2 ASIC allowing 5 FPS RAW+JPG shootings until card is full (fast cards) or the buffer is filled (1 GBytes double-port DDR-RAM, 75 frames)
- WLAN and Bluetooth integrated (in the vertical grip).

- RGB-metering with 256 segments, with area-specific colour sensitivity to minimize channel clipping.
- 29 AF fields with intelligent segmentation, as above.

- Customizeable buttons and functions, Java-based user interface with open API for developers to allow creating personal tools.
- Of course SSS, as always.
- The same software.


The price will be 2499 US$ or 1999 EUR. There is an agreement that Nikon will incorporate this sensor in the D300 camera coming at the same date.
The lenses are unveiled that were shown at the shows:

- Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* 2.8/24-70 standard zoom lens, full frame, 2000$
- Zeiss Vario-Distagon T* 2.8/16-40 wide angle zoom lens, full frame, 2500$
- Zeiss Planar T* 1.2/50 standard lens (G-class 50mm), 750$
- Sony 4/70-210 tele zoom lens (the beercan is back), 1000$
- Sony 2.8/400G SSM fast super tele lens, 10000$
- Sony 4/300G SSM tele lens, 1500$
- Sony 3.5-6.3/18-250 lens, 900$
- Sony 4.5-6.3/70-300 APO lens, 800$


These lenses will come in the next 12 months. Additionally, one new high-end flash light and the macro flash ring are released.

Additionally, the prices on the existing lenses will be reduced by 20%, since Sony wants to get some of Canon's market share, not the Nikon share (that is a partner concerning sensors). And because the prices are too high to take Canon's market share.

These are no rumours, but hard facts that can be read on today's announcement on the Sony corporate web page.

We discussed this about a month ago in regards to Pentax going 1.3 crop factor. Any Comments?
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 3:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bilybianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,435
Default

benjikan wrote:
Quote:
We discussed this about a month ago in regards to Pentax going 1.3 crop factor. Any Comments?
My comment is that it seems like I'm being smart investing in older FF lenses rather than new DA ones. But are Pentax smart letting their recent lens-buyers down releasing a camera that can't let them use newly bought pretty expensive lenses? Or will they be useable on a 1.3 crop camera without vignetting severely? Or will they raise hell and abandon the backwards compatibility (that would be suicide for Pentax)

What might be the advantage with the new sensors besides being faster? Less noise? Higher ISO maximum? What might be the price a few months after introduction (the prices you mention for the Sonys won't attract even advanced amateurs, if they can't say "dad" to Donald Trump.

Just a few Reflexions on the Revolution in Japan...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Posts: 1,381
Default

Well, everyone can trundle off for the new body, and if Pentax switches, that just means a number of really fine K10D bodies will become available. I can then upgrade to the 10 from my 100 as my skill increases and perform some additional learning by doing.

Features will always outmode my capabilities. Right now I am still on the learning curve.

However the features do sound great......
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,888
Default

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
benjikan wrote:
Quote:
We discussed this about a month ago in regards to Pentax going 1.3 crop factor. Any Comments?
My comment is that it seems like I'm being smart investing in older FF lenses rather than new DA ones. But are Pentax smart letting their recent lens-buyers down releasing a camera that can't let them use newly bought pretty expensive lenses? Or will they be useable on a 1.3 crop camera without vignetting severely? Or will they raise heck and abandon the backwards compatibility (that would be suicide for Pentax)

What might be the advantage with the new sensors besides being faster? Less noise? Higher ISO maximum? What might be the price a few months after introduction (the prices you mention for the Sonys won't attract even advanced amateurs, if they can't say "dad" to Donald Trump.

Just a few Reflexions on the Revolution in Japan...

Kjell
Kjell

I am with you on FF lens compared with DA lens.

I doubt if Pentax buys Sony's approach . I believe they are working on 645D which is a killer product. Even though it may not make tons of money, but the psychological effect (to prosumer/semi-prof/prof ) of it is more profound.

Sony is pretty good/nasty in making proprietary stuff. With 1.3 crop factor of a sensor with 16 MP! Sound very Sony and unPentax to me.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:24 AM   #5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjikan View Post
From PentaxUser UK:

From what I've read of the new Sony there are some that already are available (or will be very soon):

The fiscal year in Japan ends March 31st, that's also why shareholders are informed about new opportunities, markets and products.

Sony Japan just announced some exciting news about their DSLR efforts on their homepage (see Sony Global - Digital SLR Cameras for more details). Here's a small summary:

The flagship will be called definitively Alpha A1 (pronounced "Alpha One") and is available for September 2007. It will incorporate a newly developed APS-H (1.3 crop) sensor with 16 MP and other nice features that are completely new to the DSLR market:

- Shooting 10 pictures within 1/2 second while mirror up for choosing the right image from a series, no more "missed moments.
- Two CF slots for fast parallel writing.

- Regular 3, 5 and 10 FPS shooting modes, two BIONZ2 ASICs that process JPG and RAW in parallel, allowing 10 FPS RAW+JPG shootings until card(s) are full.

- Live preview with a small head-up display in the pentaprism for low-light shootings.
- In-body SSM for smooth and quiet autofocus even with older lenses

- WLAN and Bluetooth integrated (in the vertical grip), for GPS/mobile phone integration, remote control/storage, simple picture exchange etc.

- The image sensor has special parts that allows flash pictures without any pre-flash. Bye-bye lazy eye!

- RGB-metering with 1024 segments, with area-specific colour sensitivity to minimize channel clipping.

- 42 AF fields with intelligent segmentation, that allows shooting macro shots with 10 pictures at varying distance within 1/2 second (see above) and masking for high-DOF shots.

- Customizeable buttons and functions, Java-based user interface with open API for developers to allow creating personal tools.
- Of course SSS

- A lot of software that allows post-process most lens errors (vignetting, CA, distortions).

The price will be about 4999 US$ or 3999 EUR. There is an agreement that Nikon will incorporate this sensor in their D3x camera that will come for the same date.

The "high amateur" model will be called A10, having a newly developed 10 MP APS-C sensor with less noise. The selling date will be Christmas 2007. Some of the features of the A1 will also be incorporated, such as:

- Shooting 10 pictures within 1/2 second while mirror up for choosing the right image from a series, no more "missed moments.

- Regular 3 and 5 FPS shooting modes, one BIONZ2 ASIC allowing 5 FPS RAW+JPG shootings until card is full (fast cards) or the buffer is filled (1 GBytes double-port DDR-RAM, 75 frames)
- WLAN and Bluetooth integrated (in the vertical grip).

- RGB-metering with 256 segments, with area-specific colour sensitivity to minimize channel clipping.
- 29 AF fields with intelligent segmentation, as above.

- Customizeable buttons and functions, Java-based user interface with open API for developers to allow creating personal tools.
- Of course SSS, as always.
- The same software.


The price will be 2499 US$ or 1999 EUR. There is an agreement that Nikon will incorporate this sensor in the D300 camera coming at the same date.
The lenses are unveiled that were shown at the shows:

- Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* 2.8/24-70 standard zoom lens, full frame, 2000$
- Zeiss Vario-Distagon T* 2.8/16-40 wide angle zoom lens, full frame, 2500$
- Zeiss Planar T* 1.2/50 standard lens (G-class 50mm), 750$
- Sony 4/70-210 tele zoom lens (the beercan is back), 1000$
- Sony 2.8/400G SSM fast super tele lens, 10000$
- Sony 4/300G SSM tele lens, 1500$
- Sony 3.5-6.3/18-250 lens, 900$
- Sony 4.5-6.3/70-300 APO lens, 800$


These lenses will come in the next 12 months. Additionally, one new high-end flash light and the macro flash ring are released.

Additionally, the prices on the existing lenses will be reduced by 20%, since Sony wants to get some of Canon's market share, not the Nikon share (that is a partner concerning sensors). And because the prices are too high to take Canon's market share.

These are no rumours, but hard facts that can be read on today's announcement on the Sony corporate web page.

We discussed this about a month ago in regards to Pentax going 1.3 crop factor. Any Comments?
[IMG]http://www.******************/storage/723.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks for the post mate, really informative stuff.
mexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:07 AM   #6
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

mexia

You are replying to a thread that's more than 2 years old. ;-)

If you want to see the actual products Sony has introduced since then, look here:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ategoryId=3768
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:35 AM   #7
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

mexia

Awww... Cute. I see that you were attaching a transparent image to all of your posts to hide that you're trying to get page hits from search engines (since it was not visible when viewing your posts until I filtered the link). Very creative.

But, we don't appreciate it when members join our forums for commercial purposes (i.e., to promote their web sites). So, links to your web site are now being filtered by our forums software, and you have been banned.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:14 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

Two years old or not, those prices are out of control and any camera company switching over to cameras in this price range for non pro gear will have a hard time selling them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:29 AM   #9
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Most of those prices are not valid (and were not valid 2 years ago either), and some of the products listed don't even exist. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:37 PM.