Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:46 PM   #1

I just did something I never thought I'd do. I bought an LCD monitor. I always said they are not very good but I got one. mainly because I wanted bigger screen but I have small desk. so I got 19in widescreen LCD panel. it seems it's all right. nice vibrant colors, really sharp in native resolution 1440x900, lot more space on screen. but there's one thing I can't get right. no matter what I do I can't get neutral grey colour. I tried adjusting gamma using a free tool called QuickGamma. I adjusted each of RGB channels separatly but no luck, I still have blue colour cast on neutral grey. if I have it ok in daylight it's not good in the evening with tungsten light.

anyone experienced something similar? is it normal for LCD monitors to behave like that under different lighting conditions?
should I just get used to it? it's not such a big problem when working with colour photos but I don't know how it's gonna behave when I try to do some B&W things.

I wish I could have 21in CRT monitor like I used to have but it's just too big for my desk, not to mention they're quite hard to come by now.

any opinions on my problem? is it a problem or is it normal for LCD??

thanks

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:47 PM   #2

Greg

I Dont really know if this will help. But after i Bought my LCD, i tried for days to calibrate the Unit. I Finally gave up and bought a Panatone Huey. I Believe i payed $69 USD. The huey Fixed My LCD right Up. The Sensor Stays connected at all Times and every 10-20 Minutes It Measures the Room light and Adjusts the Colors Accordingly. Then every 2nd week it prompts me to recalibrate the moniter.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3

I looked at quite a few LCD monitors and finally settled on a Apple Cinima Display and I really love the colors and sharpness.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4

i use both a crt and lcd (a big desk)

and the same image on both screens is dramatically different

the lcd is sharper (over sharp sometimes)
a lot more contrasty
and heaps more colourfull

but doesnt get black

i do prefer looking at images on a crt

unless there is a way to adust an lcd

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:14 PM   #5

Grey. I still use a 20" CRT but was trying to calibrate with software (Adobe Gamma). Man it was mission impossible. Some colour would be off even if I was turning blind. Bought a Eye-One 2 Display eventually and everything look just right, and no more surprise from my local lab printing. Sypder2 should be good too and cheaper.
wlachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:34 AM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I looked at quite a few LCD monitors and finally settled on a Apple Cinima Display and I really love the colors and sharpness.

Tom
oh god yes
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:35 AM   #7

thanks for the tip Phil. I bought the same thing and my problem was solved in 5 minutes, no more blue cast on B&W photos or grey websites, it's much cheaper than eye-one or spyder but does great job

greg
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:36 PM   #8

It burns my ass that they've stopped making high-end CRTs

I have a NEC Multisync FE-950 and after 8 years, it is still tack sharp with beautiful, righ, deep colors and true blacks.

I've wanted to upgrade to a bigger screen with higfher res, as 1360x1024 is no longer cutting it.

Bought a used Mitsubishi Diamondtron 2070SB, once the pinnacle of CRT design.... being used it was so badly abused that sharpness is mediocre and colors are completely screwed up, as is luminance. To the point that it's fine for normal windows stuff but I wouldn't do anything to photos on it. But it does 1920x1440 at 90Hz refresh rates, and it cost 200 bucks.... great for Autocad

So looking at LCDs.... not too impressed

Cheap LCDs are shitty 6-bit... can only display up to 260K colors.

Expensive LCDs are 8-bit, capable of 16.7M colors.... but slow refresh rates making them bad for games and movies

LCDs that are high res == 1920x1200 and up cost AT LEAST 800 bucks

LCDs that do "okay" res... 1680x1050 are WORTHLESS for any kind of gaming, as most of the older/better games I play regularly are restricted to 4:3, so you get awful interpolation and crap when boosting up res. Oh, and for the latest games, it takes SERIOUS graphics muscle to run at native resolutions. Because of interpolation, running at lower res is not an option....... which means you always need the latest, greatest graphics card (at least 300 bucks every couple of years)

I WANT GODDAMN HIGH END CRTS AND I WANT EM NOW
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:47 PM   #9

I'm afraid that in near future there will be no CRT avalable for average customer. I had a 21in CRT which I bought used. it was 4 years old and was working fine for next 4. now it's rubbish, lost all contrast and sharpness. it wasn't a major brand though. my dad got 21in panasonic, it's at least 6 years old and it's still in perfect working order.

as for LCD: i bought a cheap one, 100 pounds (around 200$) for 19 in widescreen, native res 1440x900.
it doesn't stretch picture in games, just shows it in the middle with black borders. after getting this calibration thingie I'm happy with it. I don't do and CAD work. mostly photos and sometimes games.

well, I think we just have to get used to them. I wasn't happy that I had to buy one to get bigger screen but I think I'll get used to it.

greg
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:29 PM   #10

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Greg

I Dont really know if this will help. But after i Bought my LCD, i tried for days to calibrate the Unit. I Finally gave up and bought a Panatone Huey. I Believe i payed $69 USD. The huey Fixed My LCD right Up. The Sensor Stays connected at all Times and every 10-20 Minutes It Measures the Room light and Adjusts the Colors Accordingly. Then every 2nd week it prompts me to recalibrate the moniter.

Phil
I did the same thing, and am very happy the Huey.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote