Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:37 AM   #11

Both my DS and K100D were assembled in the Phillipines. Thus, does not say where the actual parts were made. The kit lens I have is made in Viet Nam.

Due to labor costs being more effective in a business sense factories are in Thailand, Viet Nam and assembly in the Phillipines other than Japan. Labor costs is more than whatthe companies want to pay. The "C" lenses that are high end on the other hand are still made in Japan, thus higher cost for an already expensive lens. Pentax is no slouch in cost for their "high end" glass either and is possibly some of the best glass ever made. Hard to find unfortunately.

Quality control obviously is a question that comes to mind but it appears there isn't much of an issue with that no matter where it was made or assembled. Most of the fault is due to either firmware, sensor (happens from time to time) or overall final product being what it is.

As for a walk around lens that all depends on what you like to shoot.

I use the Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

There is the Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical IF Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

There is the Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-105mm f/2.8-4 DG Aspherical Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

There is the Pentax Zoom Wide Angle SMCP-FA 28-105mm f/4-5.6 Autofocus Lens

For some people the wide end may not be wide enough due to the crop factor 1.5 but the 12-24mm by Pentax which has a post by hogrider shows how great this lens is. It all depends on what your interest and shooting style is. If it is low light situations then the Sigma would be the first to look at.

There have been reports on lenses that may have a needto be sent back due to calibration issues but that is more the exception rather than the rule. Again stuff happens no matter what you buy.

Your best bet is to find a place that carries what you have in questions and get hands on with it if you can. I am sure you would have if it were convenient and it were available but try again and see if that is a possibility.

I have never bought anything sight unseen. I always sought it out and got my grubby paws on it before ever buying.

I am not in the older lens market but if I were that would be the exception.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:26 PM   #12

Thank you so much for so many answers you are indeedI am now sure and believe a legend nay a towering Icon on these Pentax forums,8):idea:How nice it is for a newbie to get answers insted of nasty comments:-x from those who shouldknow better but seem to knowlittle about Pentax mattersthose people are sure to come unstuck:G if you follow my meaning I am so thankfull for your time and trouble thats a big help rodo.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:44 PM   #13

Thank you for your reply but IMHO would not be considered in that light in this or any forum. I know what it was like to be new and not knowing a solitary thing about photography. My luck I guess is where I started when I got my LC40s Panasonic and then the FZ1v2. That forum is where I learned so much before going the dSLR route. In fact, a good many Panamaniacs are also Pentaxians as well. For overall, general photography I believe Pentax is hands down the best place to start for a newbie. I did it due to price, backward compatibility and image quality (that is a matter of personal preference). This forum when I started out like robar was like a ghost town. The istDS the the next offering after the istD which was considerably more expensive at the time. I took the plunge and went from there. Again, I learned even more from this forum and still do.

Pentax with the K100D and K10D has set themself squarely in competition with the semi-pro (serious amatuer) to pro level market. SR is not a gimmick and has brought some people back into photography due to not having the steady hands they once had and also makes for more shots possible in low light situations.

The feature laden flagship K10D has everything going for it but one thing for my shooting preferences and that is FPS. With most larger MP cameras it is inherent that noise will be more apparent in the 1600 and above iso range. When shooting in these situations it at least allows you the benefit of getting an image you otherwise would go home empty handed with anything else.

There are trade offs in what you decide to go with. It really comes down to the matter of ease of use, how it feels in your hands and obviously will the images you are trying to capture beobtainable. Most times the camera is capable and it is the person who has not yet learned how to make the most of it.

Also, keep in mind the digital darkroom (post processing- PP for short)will make all the difference in the world in finalizinga finished product. It does not replace proper exposure, good subject and composition but it is to enhance and give that image that "pop" or "pizazz" that makes a person go "wow" and that the image lasts and lingers in their mind. The option of shooting jpeg and raw gives you a choice in latitude of having the in camera processing make the image or you take complete control of enhancing an unprocessed image.

A camera is only a tool and some are a bit better than others in preferences for the u*****hieving their needs.

The lens on the other hand is an investment. Pentax has alot of great glass out there and unfortunately the good deals are harder to come by due to Pentax coming out with their latest offerings of the K100D and K10D.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:17 PM   #14

Well thanks again:-) but you seem so well up on Pentax,. you can really help me here do you know I have the panasonic Fz2 and I still find it has out of camera jpegs that are perhaps the very best in a non DSLR cameraI have seen do you remember how good the 2 mp pics looked amazing ,even sharper than my also still have / use Fz 20 why is that?andbetter imo than my FX 01, Fuji F11 F20 F30 canonA80 a 95 !or so many other point and shoots /bridge camerasI have bought and sold inc Sony R1 .. could you sayhow much better the k 100 even with kit lens is a better IQ than my Fz2 or not you also had before , I have also got to learn /understand this raw thing rgrds rodo uk.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:28 PM   #15

Rodo,

I will answer your questions and discuss this further through PM.

Mahalo,

Tom
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:27 PM   #16

So nice to see a friendly conclusion to what can be a difficult problem.

As you are finding out Rodo, the only way to tell if a camera suits is to try it out.

I would suggest though, that you read Steve's reviews as he is largely unbiased in his observations, and I have found his reviews to be accurate for the 3 digital cameras I have bought:

1 - Kodak Z740
2 - Pentax *ist DL2
3 - Pentax K10D

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:04 PM   #17

Yes thank you iwill /have but an owner has more time to find out more stuff over a longer time i suspect brilliant as Steves reviews are rgrds rodo uk.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:59 PM   #18

Just my opinion, based on the two cameras I happen to own - the K10 does have more noise at 1600 than the K100 at 1600, though the K10's noise issue doesn't seem to be as bad as it seemed at first (perhaps been addressed in one of the firmware updates?). Otherwise, there isn't all that much difference in image quality if you aren't cropping your pictures.

This is a thread with some comparison shots I took the day after getting the K10. I didn't mention which camera took which picture at first - take a look at them and decide for yourself (I can't tell the difference between the full frame resized pictures, other than a difference between white balance, where the K10 has the edge). The pictures are pretty boring (tire tracks in the dirt) but I was trying to decide which of my two M 50mm lenses to keep, and was looking at sharpness. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80. If you want to look at some comparisons with higher ISOs, take a look at this thread I put together http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80and judge for yourself. Remember that this isn't scientific, it's just my personal experience with my own cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:59 AM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Just my opinion, based on the two cameras I happen to own - the K10 does have more noise at 1600 than the K100 at 1600, though the K10's noise issue doesn't seem to be as bad as it seemed at first (perhaps been addressed in one of the firmware updates?). Otherwise, there isn't all that much difference in image quality if you aren't cropping your pictures.

This is a thread with some comparison shots I took the day after getting the K10. I didn't mention which camera took which picture at first - take a look at them and decide for yourself (I can't tell the difference between the full frame resized pictures, other than a difference between white balance, where the K10 has the edge). The pictures are pretty boring (tire tracks in the dirt) but I was trying to decide which of my two M 50mm lenses to keep, and was looking at sharpness. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80. If you want to look at some comparisons with higher ISOs, take a look at this thread I put together http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80and judge for yourself. Remember that this isn't scientific, it's just my personal experience with my own cameras.
THANKSFOR ADVICE ON THESE PENTAX FORUMS I HAVE MOVED OVER TO THE NICE PEOPLE AT THE NIKON FORUM AND BOUGHT A NIKON D40 TO SEE IF DSLR PHOTOGRAPHY IS GOING TODO IT FOR ME OR NOT? LIKED THE D40 FEEL FIT AND FINISHJUST A LITTLE BETTER THAN THE K100D.