Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:09 AM   #1

Sorry I mean K100D NOT THE OLD SLR I HAD ONCE Can I have some of your lovely (FRIENDLYVERY EXPERT )advice please:P:ak47:.Is it true that the K100D is much less noisy than the KD10 please I believeI have read this some place, And is it able to take as nice pics as the KD 10 do you think?, I have just returned two cameras as being not suitable (KD10 And GX 10) forme and my brother who is getting into cameras right now .well they had issues I did not think would let me come to want to keepthemfor the long term just my take though , I ,would prefer to stay with Pentax if possible for my DSLR experience . The Kd 1000 comes with a kit lens and I understand it is not reallygood enough for the camera and should be changed asap ifat all possible is that so ?, If true can I ask what for, I would prefer I think a walk around lens or even a sigma - tamron 18 - 200 or 250 if good enough or any ideas welcome. One other thing can someone look or advise where theK 100D is made I know vietnam is where the lenses are made but not the camera itself , thank you so very much for your time :love:.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:21 AM   #2

Its K10D and K100D...... The K1000 is a pretty ancient 35mm SLR.

Both cameras are available body only or kit and both the same 18-55mm lens. Great no... (what do you expect under $100) bad NO also.... for what it is... a decent little lens.

Have you ever bothered to read the thourough reviews of BOTH cameras here?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:48 AM   #3

Thank you for your friendly advice I really I wanted hands on users views from owners of both types or owners who changed from one to the other maybe , In so much is the 6 mp camera good enough and better at high iso less noisy than the KD 10 / GX10I returned , Also some confirmation the kit lens was not good enough for the long term and what to change it to or not?, where is the K100D made USA ASIA HONG KONG ECT ? thats what i meant to ask if unclear .. Sorry if my questions where not clear, Any advice from users please and thank you for yourtime .:love::love::love:
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:50 AM   #4

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Its K10D and K100D...... The K1000 is a pretty ancient 35mm SLR.

Both cameras are available body only or kit and both the same 18-55mm lens. Great no... (what do you expect under $100) bad NO also.... for what it is... a decent little lens.

Have you ever bothered to read the thourough reviews of BOTH cameras here?
HAYWARD HI , SEE YOU EDITED YOUR BAD BITS OUT WELL DONE!:twisted:Yes I did read up but wanted advice from those who own the cameras and have maybe used or own both thankyou! also if there made in usa / asia or wherever ?RODO
Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:04 AM   #5

Well I tell you coming from an original 6MP C Rebel.... there was little point in going for the 100D though I was tempted until they anounced and then delivered on time the 10D in a few months. NO REGRETS in the making the switch to K10D. And seling off the C lenses, I'd feel guilty selling the WELL(beyond MTBF shutter rating) used body for more than peanuts.... now just a emergency/danger spare body and two basic lenses.

There is really only one critical (here or other review sites) comments on the K10D and that is very rather minor JPG processing technicalities. That very minor, and no issues with RAW at all... plus with 10D you have the option to shoot both at once.... JPG good enough dump the RAW.... not then you have the RAW, redo the JPG to taste.

Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:46 AM   #6

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well I tell you coming from an original 6MP C Rebel.... there was little point in going for the 100D though I was tempted until they anounced and then delivered on time the 10D in a few months. NO REGRETS in the making the switch to K10D. And seling off the C lenses, I'd feel guilty selling the WELL(beyond MTBF shutter rating) used body for more than peanuts.... now just a emergency/danger spare body and two basic lenses.

There is really only one critical (here or other review sites) comments on the K10D and that is very rather minor JPG processing technicalities. That very minor, and no issues with RAW at all... plus with 10D you have the option to shoot both at once.... JPG good enough dump the RAW.... not then you have the RAW, redo the JPG to taste.

Thankyou . NoI dont want to go K10D for issues you know about wont mention that also I thought it a bit large for my small hands ,So there are a few uk dealers selling 100d with kit lens for low in the uk this week two phone calls offered big discountwhy ? One sales woman sugested new pentax is only a few months away but I cant find any thing,I dont know about the 100D so much so I thought to ask questions , ie where is it made ANYONE?, is it less noise than 10D? if so thats a bonus not saying 10D is bad,I surewould like owners of both to give me there take, Would like to know lense for walk around , Only other thing is D40 nikon is also getting great IQ reports everwhere, These forums are here to ask I am not slaging off any cameras never was. love to get opinions advice from you all who are better than I to know( if you own equipment ,) I did not like the K10 for its dust catcher opps shhhsh .probably I am completly wrong,ButI didreturn both K10 and GX 10 btw they where made in the PHILIPPINESSOUTH EAST ASIA but I hope to buy a 100D ,and use that to learn about DSLR and if I want to go DSLR long term Rodo.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:13 AM   #7

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Thankyou . NoI dont want to go K10D for issues you know about wont mention that also I thought it a bit large for my small hands
Not that I have big hands but I thought just the opposite, from many years in film SLRs pre 97 (first digital).....

FINALLY this really feels like and acts like a real camera not a toy (even the biggest of them orig Rebel did). A tad heavey maybe, but actually a heavy camera oddly enough is easier to steady than a lightweight one.... that little law of inertia :-)

Some might want to say the JPG algorhythm is better on the 100D slightly... if you want to call that noise.

Then again I can crop a 10D image by nearly HALF, and still be at an uncropped 100D image (10MP vs 6MP) so again what is important to you....

Often you don't have or mounted the long lens you need... that extra crop room is nice.

Seems like you just want to talk yourself out of buying anything.... or just still trying to justify your absurd sticky phobea.

Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:38 AM   #8

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
rodo wrote:
Quote:
Thankyou . NoI dont want to go K10D for issues you know about wont mention that also I thought it a bit large for my small hands
Not that I have big hands but I thought just the opposite, from many years in film SLRs pre 97 (first digital).....

FINALLY this really feels like and acts like a real camera not a toy (even the biggest of them orig Rebel did). A tad heavey maybe, but actually a heavy camera oddly enough is easier to steady than a lightweight one.... that little law of inertia :-)

Some might want to say the JPG algorhythm is better on the 100D slightly... if you want to call that noise.

Then again I can crop a 10D image by nearly HALF, and still be at an uncropped 100D image (10MP vs 6MP) so again what is important to you....

Often you don't have or mounted the long lens you need... that extra crop room is nice.

Seems like you just want to talk yourself out of buying anything.... or just still trying to justify your absurd sticky phobea.

No I would like some answers to questions not by you it seems you got a big chipdogy pic,please dont bother with your negative to me replys just because I have returned the type you have kept my sticky phobea is still my opinion and it seems the dust prevention of the camera you own is as good as uselessive read , came last out of 5 cameras so go away you havent got to reply play with the dogy maybe , any one can answer sensibly I thank you
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:30 AM   #9

I have the K100D and not the K10D. I can't compare the results between the two cameras for you. I have been on the fence in purchasing the K10D since I do have a small collection of Pentax glass that I won't give up. For my other shooting interests I went with another camera maker.

The 18-55mm kit lens is an excellent lens in my use with the K100D and I don't see myself putting it on the shelf so to speak or ever wanting to sell it.

Since the K10D/GX10isnotwhat you have been looking for due to some issue with its sensor cleaning processit would not matter really about the noise issue comparison. mtngal did mention that she has both cameras and found that the K10D has a bit more noise and that it goes up to 1600 iso versus 3200 iso for the K100D.

6 MP is enough for prints 13x19 and some have reported looking good up to 20x30. Some software interpolation techniques can get you even bigger prints. Mind you that is not my experience as I only print nothing larger than 8.5x11 and am more than pleased with the results. Print some of the examples on this site of the different iso shots and see if it meets your needs is what I recommend. Seeing it on the monitor is one thing but to get the final print in your hands is the final judge in my opinion. Make 100% crops print and compare.

Personally I am still on the fence about the K10D due to its features (basically a better tool to work with due to its laden rich features) since I am happy with what I have currently and see no need for another camera body.TheK10Dmay come into play at the end of its production cycle and when the jury is outwhen the new DA lenses become available.

Technology continues to move forward so if you sit and wait too long what you are deciding on may soon be gone and replaced with something else.

I wouldn't get too hung up on thinking that a dSLR body will be an investment since they are more or less becoming more disposable.

Hopefully you decide and get some shots to share either here or with family and friends rather than continue posting for some feedback to ally your reservations.

Perhaps Pentax/Samsung is not the answer for you.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:43 AM   #10

Thank you for your reply with some answers to my questions ,At leastI have an opinion on the kit lens but as yet no other opinions of what else might be better if just a walk around optic is needed, also Iwould like to know where the camera is made just out of interst I do suppose if owners look on the bottom it might mention it . perhaps it is not printed though,Thanks again for a civil response to a few simple questions. rodo.