Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:03 PM   #1

Hello all,

A week or so ago I went to San Francisco with a friend of mine to the De Young Museum to see the Bouquets to Art exhibit. This is exhibit has artists pick a piece of art and then create a flower arrangement to match it. Because the exhibit only runs for a few days it was very busy and hard to get shots of both the art and the flowers, but I did the best I could.

Also, because they are concerned about damage the exhibit spaces are very dim and they don't allow flash so I had to shoot at ISO 800 and 1600. I used only the kit 18-55 and the 10-17 fisheye for this. No tripods or monopods are allowed so they are all hand held. I shot nearly 900 shots that day; the gallery has 130 of the best shots.
All of the shots were DNG raw (that is all I shoot now) and processed in Adobe Lightroom 1.0. The gallery can be seen at:

http://robertbarnettphotography.smug...7123#141157662

On the last page of the gallery are two pictures with rainbow colored roses. Each rose is rainbow colored, these are real roses and not silk or fakes. They are stunning. The place was too busy to talk to the artist to find out where they got the roses. I was told that they weren't painted or dyed. I have attached a close up of them to this message. They are just too stunning not to share.

I try to shoot things like this as virtual tour. Mostly for my mom who due to very poor health can't go to things like this anymore, so I try to photograph everything I can so she can get the feel of the place. I also try to add photos to my gallery that does the same thing. So at the gallery above you will see more than just the art and flowers, but the building, landscaping, layout and such.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:54 PM   #2

Those are some amazing roses! Looking over your gallery, I would say that you did very well for some challenging circumstances.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:34 PM   #3

Very nice shots. The roses are very special.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:07 PM   #4

Very nice photo. You mom had to love it. You did and do a good thing trying to make things better for your mom.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:29 PM   #5

Thanks. I am working on a slide show DVD for her with music and everything. She may not have been able to go but I want her to feel like she went anyways.

Robert
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:30 PM   #6

Tim, I was surprised at the number of images that turned out well. I only had about 5 or 6 that had bad blur. I expected more bad ones than good ones. After spending the day there I wished then that I had taken the 50mm f1.4 since it was so dark. I didn't expect the very low light. Thank god for RAW!

Robert
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:31 PM   #7

Darren,

Thanks. Yah, out of everything I saw there I love the roses the most. They were very unique. They had some of the flower arragement with flowers and stuff from Africa where are rather rare here in the US, but those roses were still my favorites. The pictures really don't do them justice.

Robert