Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:16 PM   #1

OK, today I put my K10D away and got out the DS with the same lenses I use on the K10D. In my unscientific test, the DS has far less noise at ISO 400 than the K10D, it focuses more reliably and the WB is almost always right on-Hmmmm!

Now when the K10D is on, the detail is much more, the SR is a God send in some situations and it responds much faster between shots in RAW. The key word here is WHEN the K10D is on! I shot some Cranes dancing the other day and about half of them were soft (RAW files), not out of focus, but soft and the ones I shot today, only one was soft, the rest right on with the DS.

Here are three of the shots from today with the DS and one of the soft ones from the K10D that is unacceptable at least for me. It is not that I don't get good shots with the K10D, but the DS seems to be more reliable.

Any thoughts?

DS ISO 400

DS ISO 400

K10D ISO 400

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:22 PM   #2

Less noise is not surprising since it has a smaller sensor (MP wise). As for White Balance that is interesting. I don't think the auto WB on the K10D is all that swift, though I have had worse and I have had better.

I guess what it comes down to is each camera no matter brand or model has its good and its bad.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:32 PM   #3

The issue I have with the WB, is the DS was better, much better, so I expected the K10D to be just as good.

I knew up front that the noise would be worse at higher ISO, so that isn't really an issue.

Tom
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:35 PM   #4

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
OK, today I put my K10D away and got out the DS with the same lenses I use on the K10D. In my unscientific test, the DS has far less noise at ISO 400 than the K10D, it focuses more reliably and the WB is almost always right on-Hmmmm!

Now when the K10D is on, the detail is much more, the SR is a God send in some situations and it responds much faster between shots in RAW. The key word here is WHEN the K10D is on! I shot some Cranes dancing the other day and about half of them were soft (RAW files), not out of focus, but soft and the ones I shot today, only one was soft, the rest right on with the DS.

Here are three of the shots from today with the DS and one of the soft ones from the K10D that is unacceptable at least for me. It is not that I don't get good shots with the K10D, but the DS seems to be more reliable.

Any thoughts?

Tom
K10D is definitely a more complicated gear than DS or all the 6 mp dslr of Pentax. Do you think that given time for you to learn all its setting you will improve? Basically it has steeper learning curve.
If you have devoted a lot of time in learning it and you still lack confidence in it, it does tell us that it may not be userfriendy given the gears you have gone through? Or it still has a few bugs to be ironed out out ?

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:43 PM   #5

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
Less noise is not surprising since it has a smaller sensor (MP wise). As for White Balance that is interesting. I don't think the auto WB on the K10D is all that swift, though I have had worse and I have had better.

I guess what it comes down to is each camera no matter brand or model has its good and its bad.

Robert
Same size of sensor. It just has more noise because of more pixel mp count. You have more crop manouvre room at the expense of noise suppression
I have a fairly recent model of K100D and has even less reason to upgrade (?) now

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:53 PM   #6

I don't mind it being complicated, but especially with the WB, I can shoot away at moving birds with the DS and the WB is 99% right on, but with the K10D, I actually have to change my way of metering to get it right moving from normal lighting, to bright ocean side flying bird shots.

I have taken both cameras to the same places and the K10D will blow highlights all over the place if I don't watch what I am doing. The DS in exactly the same situation does not do that and will meter correctly going from dark to light with no setting changes on the camera!

The DS also will focus more accurately than the K10D, which in about half the shots is just slightly soft, not out of focus, just softer than they should be.

I do not have the confidence with the K10D that I have with the DS, as I have missed many wildlife shots that can not be duplicated, that would have turned out perfectly with the DS.

Tom
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:07 PM   #7

The k100d is looking more and more attractive
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:19 PM   #8

Hi Tom. I believe the out of camera shots from the K10D are softer by design. This makes the shots"friendlier" to PP sharpening. Tryadjusting the sharpening to +2 for jpeg shots. As for AWB, here's a read that might interest you. Sorry if it's been posted before:

http://imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K10D/K10DA.HTM

Btw, don't have the 10D myself but my Ds is still working perfectly after 3 yerars.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:46 PM   #9

I am sure you have already checked this Tom, but do you have the metering method set the same in the menu on both cameras? Are you experiencing this issue across a range of lenses or just one lens? I am certainly interested in your observations as I have been planning to add a K10 to my K100.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:46 PM   #10

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I am sure you have already checked this Tom, but do you have the metering method set the same in the menu on both cameras? Are you experiencing this issue across a range of lenses or just one lens? I am certainly interested in your observations as I have been planning to add a K10 to my K100.

Tim
Same here: sitting on the fence. It makes my underutilized K100D look good. No SDM lenses yet no K10D, I guess. I will just have to switch lenses in meantime. My plan is to have a K10D+ for zooms and primes on K100D. Not sure who will haul all the stuff thou:-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote