Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:20 AM   #1

I'm looking to replace my *Ist DL for two reasons:

Lack of shake reduction: I'm young and have a steady hand but even that can't work miracles at 1/6 of a second

Bad in-camera JPEG: While JPEG in-camera can look very good, it can also look very bad, depending on lighting conditions

Two cameras fit the bill, with marketing bits and standout features:
[line]
K100d

6MP
Shake Reduction
Better/Improved JPEG over *ist models (if Ricehigh's page is any indication)
Low-noise, and up to ISO 3200 capability
~450 $, body-only

K10d
10MP
Shake Reduction
Dust Reduction
Better dynamic range
Excellent in-camera processing of RAW and all kinds of RGB histograms and white balance charts, etc
Pentaprism
Physically larger and therefore more comfortable to hold
Supports SS in-lens focus motors
~850 $, body only
[line]
What I "know"

6 vs 10 MP
+10MP image is more than twice as big than 6MP image, allowing for all kinds of cropping
+Much more detail than 6MP image
-10MP images much noisier than 6MP images at the same ISO

K10d vs K100d Shake reduction
+The K10d has beefier SR unit which can give an additional 1-1.5 stops of safety factor.

Dust reduction
+k10d does sensor shake and has antistatic coating
+Antistatic makes blowing off dust easier
-Apparently the shake does nothing to remove dust

Better Dynamic Range
-Apparently, this is not actually true. DR is similar/identical between both cameras. k100d being less noisy, some would say DR is actually better.

Pentaprism k10d vs k100d pentamirror
+pentaprism gives a much brighter, larger viewfinder image

K10d supports next-gen, supersonic motor lenses

+Future proof
-Rumor has it that pentax is ++ing the sensor size in the next generation, so these lenses would be useless anyway as they're built for a 1.5x crop factor

I think it would be cool to sticky this thread and if anyone owning either of these two cameras could comment on the above and share their experiences, this can become THE k10d vs k100d thread

The above is a collection of "facts" i've found in my online travels. If anyone can chime in, that would be swell

mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:28 AM   #2

Size comparison

The extra half-inch of height really helps, as you don't need to curl your pinky finger underneath the camera, as on the *ist or k100d bodies
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3

K10D has better ergonomics for sure. When coupled with the battery grip it becomes ideal when handling long heavy lenses or big flash like FGZ 540. On the other hand, K100D is lighter and takes AA batteries.

Most of the specs are in K10D favor but:

- 10MP is not that much bigger. Look at the specs and note how many actual extra pixels on the two axes. Not that many.

- The dust reduction - according to some tests and folklore - is pretty much ineffective.

I would choose K10D for an upgrade. I have K100D and I will probably upgrade to K10D or whatever they come up with next but after the SDM lenses are out and tested/reviewed.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:59 AM   #4

In the meantime, and for 450 bucks, would you say the k100, with better JPEG and SR is a worthwhile upgrade over the *ist DL?

Autofocus for me isn't a concern, as i always use centerpoint, but the K100d has 11 points versis the Dl's 3.

Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:38 PM   #5

It seems a bit odd to me to be comparing the K100 and the K10 as they are completely different classes of camera in both price and performance and I think would appeal to two different kinds of photographer (or for 2 different uses).

In general, the K10 is a better all around performer and comes with some additional features like dust reduction and weather sealing. In good light, it would probably outperform the K100 in just about every way.

In low light, the K100 does have the advantage though due to it's better high ISO perormance. The SR might be better on the K10, but if you're shooting anything that's moving the higher ISO is more useful.

From what I've read, I don't think the K100 has better JPG processing than the *ist, I think it just processes the images less. Many have said that the K100's jpgs appear sharper and retain more detail, but the camera does a lot less noise reduction. That means the camera is better if you like to do post-processing (as in Photoshop work) and enlargements, and shots at lower ISO that wouldn't have noise problems will look better, but shots taken above ISO 800 may need a bit of processing to get them to a decent quality level. Shooting RAW would always get you the best possible quality, but then there probably wouldn't be any significant difference between the K100 and the *ist besides SR.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:08 PM   #6

It's not a matter of which is better. K10d is better without a doubt.

The question is which is better for the money?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:40 PM   #7

If you need weather sealing, better viewfinder and better SR, then the K10D is worth the money spent on it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:42 PM   #8

K100D is better for the money since it is so cheap now but if you think that you will want more anytime soon than K10D will be a better bet. It all depends on what you want to use it for. I would go for K10D but that is just me.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:48 PM   #9

I was debating on what to get also, K10 or the K100. Then I figured the price difference is really huge. I just got my K100 and the price is ~470 with the lense kit after rebate.
I figured if I really like this new hobby I can buy two more lenses with the money that I saved.

maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:26 PM   #10

maj0rglitch wrote:
Quote:
I was debating on what to get also, K10 or the K100. Then I figured the price difference is really huge. I just got my K100 and the price is ~470 with the lense kit after rebate.
I figured if I really like this new hobby I can buy two more lenses with the money that I saved.
Congrats. More lenses is always good:-) The only downside is that the more lenses you have the less each gets used, especially with primes.

K100D is a really nice piece of equipment and very affordable. Pentax did a really good job for this market segment. Hope to see you posting some soon.