Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:05 PM   #1

Canon or Nikon. Which Camera is More "Pro?"

This was a Poll from another Forum. It was a Poll given by someone who in my opinion has been profoundly and inexorably brainwashed and as a result I felt compelled to leave the following message:

My Heading: Neither...All Of and Anything that Can...

This is a false premise...Most of the present day DSLR's can be used professionally. Whether it is Sony, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sigma, Leica or Samsung. Ten million pixels is more than enough o be published in all types of magazines as well as most poster formats. I have been published using the Canon 350D, just to prove to myself that it doesn't really matter. I once used a Canon G5 circa 2002-3 5megapixel camera with hot-shoe and RAW capability and was also published with it.

I am fed up with pixel peeping incompetents that spend most of their time scrutinizing the screen on the computer rather than enjoying the act of expression. If what you find joy in is the technical aspects of the anatomy of a camera, perhaps that may be the subject of your post. I can guarantee that if I gave you a 'Blad with a 39 mega pixel back it wouldn't improve on your capacity to express what you are expressing presently and until you understand the need to have "X-Zillion" Pixels, I suggest you spend more time perfecting your art. By doing so you may then ask yourself. Is the tool I am using limiting my capacity to express that which I need to express by being technically substandard? Is it therefore impeding my capacity to express myself? Give me a Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Leica, Olympus, Sigma or what ever and I will take images that will work because I know the support it will be utilized in.

It is the photographer and not the camera that captures the image. It is through those eyes that we can see a part of the "ID" and what is important to the artist. It is the capturing of that moment that makes the individual unique. The decision as to when one captures the moment is crucial to his/her expression and not with which camera it was taken with.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:18 PM   #2

Ben, :-) why didn't you tell him what your were thinking:-)

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:44 PM   #3

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
Ben, :-) why didn't you tell him what your were thinking:-)

TOTALLY WACKY roger
It wouldn't have mattered, believe me. I have reached a point in life where confrontaion is a useless waste of emotional energy. Maybe he got something out of it...Who knows.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4

Ben,

Many photographers are into an ego trip with the cost of their equipment and can't get beyond that, plus they have to justify the investment by bashing other brands.

You are correct, all of the present DSLR's will do the job just fine in the right hands.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:13 PM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Ben,

Many photographers are into an ego trip with the cost of their equipment and can't get beyond that, plus they have to justify the investment by bashing other brands.

You are correct, all of the present DSLR's will do the job just fine in the right hands.

Tom
Hello Tom;

I tend to agree with you when it comes to brandishing the name of a brand on their neck-strap for ego-status gratification. The other day I was walking down the street with my K10D and someone walked up to the camera, looked at it and smiled. I smiled back and he said, "Pentax", looks nice, how many pixels?"

I said enough to get paid for what I was doing. Then he took me seriously and said "Your Kidding!" I said, "Kidding, just go to that news stand and buy this magazine, The whole story was shot with the Pentax."

I think he thought I was BSing him. The fix is in so deep, that it would take a nuclear explosion to change the landscape.

Oh well, "C'est La Vie"

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:46 PM   #6
TDN

Idd, trying to convince these people is a lost cause. Just take comfort in the fact that thise people are a minority. Most people still have their brains intact

I regularly go to so called "shooting days" of a belgian camera forum. Every time, and I mean every time, I'm the only guy holding a Pentax. Ocassionally there's a Fuji or Sony in there. I don't have to say what the 2 most popular brands are...

Anyway, every time we all publish our best images on the web, using an 800x532 image. You think it matters which camera brand it was shot with or how many pixels it had?

Every time I also get jealous at the other photographers. Not at their camera bodies, but at "that guy's 85mm f1.8", or "this guy's 28-70mm f2.8", ...
Then I look in my wallet and see there's no €500 bills in there, so I stare at the lenses for a few secs and keep shooting the 30-year old "junk" I got for next to nothing on ebay

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:28 PM   #7

I just imposed some discipline on myself to try and improve my technical skills, I took the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 lens and the Takumar 70-200mm f3.5-5.6 lenses and put them in the drawer, my camera bag now holds the 18-55mm kit lens, a 50mm f1.7 M-series, two XR Rikenons, a 28mm and a 135mm both f2.8, my Cokin filters and holders and an old Vivitar 285 flash. My plan is that since my wife Annette will be carrying the DL with an FA 28-80 and an FA 100-300, she can capture all of the "fast action", while I go back to my K1000 roots with the DS and manual lenses.

I don't know of many photographers locally who have better lenses, just more convenient ones.
Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:49 PM   #8

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I just imposed some discipline on myself to try and improve my technical skills,* I took the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 lens and the Takumar 70-200mm f3.5-5.6 lenses and put them in the drawer,* my camera bag now holds the 18-55mm kit lens, a 50mm f1.7 M-series,* two XR Rikenons, a 28mm and a 135mm both f2.8,* my Cokin filters and holders and an old Vivitar 285 flash.* My plan is that since my wife Annette will be carrying the DL with an FA 28-80 and an FA 100-300, she can capture all of the "fast action", while I go back to my K1000 roots with the DS and manual lenses.

I don't know of many photographers locally who have better lenses,* just more convenient ones.
Ira
I have the same idea and lately I have been fooling around with film to see the DR and FF factor and what I left off 25 yrs ago. The only thing I will not be doing will be chemical unlike the old days.
Now I have disciplined myself to be familiar with all the FoV of my lenses at 16-28-50-100-135-300mm.
Just now Fred did some pp work on my posting and that is great - I do not even have a proper piece of software doing that.
I hardly do cropping at all and majority of the time I post the whole file to my pbase site. I agree with Ben that one day I would need and learn that . But later then.
My approach to the Nikon/Canon crowd (in the Toronto Photo club TPMG,CA) is laying low and posting more pict which tell all which is what really counts.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:33 AM   #9

I must say I always look at the cameras others are using and their shooting styles to see if I can pick up any tips.

This weekend I encountered the 2 ends of the spectrum. While shooting the falconry, I glanced over to see a chap using a Cannon with the APO version of my Sigma 70-300mm. We looked, we nodded and then both shot our styles - he was shooting one frame at a time and checking the LCD after every shot, missing most of the action, I was shooting little bursts with barely a glance at the screen, as I had already done exposure checks. Nice friendly encounter.

Then a Nikon guy turned up. I'd seen him wandering earlier, lugging a huge bag (about 2 1/2 feet by 18" by 18"). He came more or less next to me - vertical grip, the works, looked down his nose at me (only a Slingshot 200 and Pentax) shot a quick burst and when I didn't comment, wandered off again and stood right next to someone with a compact.

Who got the better pics? Who was right?

We all have our own styles and brands, but the Nikon guy was the only one who felt he had something to prove. The rest of us got on with our pictures.

Rambling here - sorry!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:54 AM   #10
PDL

When I attended a photo workshop in 05 through National Geographic - we spent a total of about 1 hour total during the week of 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM "doing photography" talking about equipment. One (1) hour - and it was generic, no equipment brands were really set up as the preferred brands.

The main instructor (Bob Sacha) was using a brand spanking new C*non 5D, Jerry Courvoisier (digiatl lab director) shot a N*kon (a sponsor of Santa Fe Workshops) and Carlan Tapp shot a Lec*a M4. (Note: all of these guys are teaching - If you get the chance to attend ----- do it - you will not be sorry.)

Bob said it best - "it's all about the image". Those of us in the workshop did not go there to learn how to take good pictures - we went there to learn how to take better pictures. The verbage is subtle - the implicationis profound.

I find people who are so concerned with the equipment -- usually take canned, boring and indistinct images.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote