Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2007, 4:43 AM   #1

I went to small bird enclosure yesterday. it's basically a biga cage you go into where all these birds can lyy. they are used to people so you can get really close to them. my only problem was that I had only 105mm macro lens with no AF and no external flash. I took around 45 photos and ended up with 15 usable due to either camera shake or birds moving too fast ar bad manual focusing (it's not easy when your subjects moves all the time) so here are some of them. any comments as usual are welcomed

greg

these are very small birds and I was shooting them from around 1m

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:16 AM   #2

anyone?
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 3:21 AM   #3

It's nice to come so close to the smaller birds, seldom possible in nature. I had zebra finches when I was a kid, but their constant "beep-beep"-ing drove me nuts in the mornings, didn't allow me any sleep. And as a kid I really enjoyed lazy mornings (still do on holidays :-)).

May I suggest a tighter crop on #1, to make use of the whole frame? It's a mistake I do too often myself, pointingthe camera at the interesting part (usually the face) and forget to compose the picture before I press the button.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:48 AM   #4

Beautiful shots!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:16 PM   #5

Very nice birds! I've found with manual lenses that it's harder to remember to recompose when you have the right focus and I'm often cropping out "dead" space on one side of my subject. I love digital because its so easy to do that. And I can relate to your experience - I felt the same way shooting the indoor horse show.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote