Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:56 PM   #11
TDN

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
And being a fast lens lover (I've got some of the fastest Pentax lenses, and I love them and use them wide open) I can't see that this would be important for macro shots. Normally you have to stop down to f11 or f16 to get an acceptable DOF. G
I'm gonna have to disagree with this Kjell.

You can use a fast macro lens as a fantastic portrait lens. Just shot the pics for my little brother's communion with the Kiron 105mm f2.8

The same lens also proved to be a great concert lens, giving me more keepers than my 50mm f1.7

If you're looking for a macro lens, I'd seriously consider looking into Vivitar/Kiron/Lester Dine if I were you...

Kjell is definitly right about the focal length. I even find 105mm a little too short for comfort when shooting the bugs that can sting...at least at 1:1
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:01 PM   #12
TDN

here's a recent sample of the Kiron

and a concert shot with the same lens

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:47 PM   #13

I have a Raynox DCR-150 Macro Close-up Conversion Lens that I think I am going to play with. I have been since last night and I am having depth of field issues even with a f16 so I don't know now if I want to spend the big $$$ on the 100mm Macro and end up with similar DOF problems. I need to play first. I bought this for my FZ30 and never really took a shine to it. It seems to be a little better with the Pentax 50-200, I am going to try it on my 18-55 and see how it does.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have filed it away for possible future use.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:06 PM   #14

Any opinions on the Tamron-SP-AF-90MM-F2.8-DI-MACRO

http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/p...-F2.8-DI-MACRO

It is the lowest priced Macro Lens I can get here, it does seem popular and gets good reviews, but I wonder if that is just due to the price ?
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:34 PM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I'd say you'd have to search to find a bad dedicated macro lens. I've got the Pentax SMC-M 100 mm f4. It's manual everything, but I can't see why autofocus should be crucial for macro.
No but an AE "A" lens might be over pure manual everything.... plus the "A"'s offer a lot more mode vesatility (at least AV) than a full manual. And just that much less to do in a tight time frame of from JUST seen coming to exposed shot, and most used A's I have come across are only marginally more expensive than full manual... except maybe some of the long (300+) ones.

But still macros ouyt there between M and FA... aka "A's"
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:34 AM   #16

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I am trying to decide between a Sony PlayStation 3 and another lens and a flash for my K10D.
Why is that even a consideration? One is a reflection/recording of reality the other pure animated fiction...

So which is more important to you?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:47 AM   #17

Tamron-SP-AF-90MM-F2.8-MACRO example taken with DS, ISO 400!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:46 AM   #18

glad you posted tom. many say the tamron is the best. you'd have to get down to individual pixels to prove it tho.
the A setting on the lens is great but doesn't make a whole lot of difference when shooting macros as once you get a reading after pressing the AE-L or the green button the lighting pretty much stays the same. kjell, don't you agree here??

roy
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:20 AM   #19

robar wrote:
Quote:
kjell, don't you agree here??

roy
Yep. Of course it's nice to have a versatile all-purpose macro lens, but for the very macro shooting neither the A-setting, auto focus or large aperture is something I miss.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:27 AM   #20

This is something I have began looking in to now that spring is here... What's out there about the Pheonix macro lens? Any experience? Pros/Cons?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote