Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:35 PM   #1

I've been using my tamron70-300 rather a lot, and 2 days ago it made a strange clicking noise when using manual focus.

Feels like there is something loose in it, there is also feel a slight resistance before the click, tried automatic focus and everything seemed to work, it took me some time to find what was different.

Normally the lens only macro focuses in the 180-300 range, you have to flip a switch to change to this mode. Mow it does this in automatic mode from 70-300. The camera's auto focus just turns the focus ring into the macro range. If you switch then to manual mode the focus ring doesn't work. Or maybe I'm to careful (read afraid) to use enough force. (can't believe this is healthy for the camera)

So the lens works but I've got a funny feeling about it, next Tuesday I'll contact the seller.

Has anybody also experienced something like this, and... ... any feedback is welcome
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2

Ronny

If it's any help when I started with the K10D I tried an old 70/300 Cosina which had trouble getting jammed in macro. Like you I now have the 70/300 Tamron and no probs except occasionally getting out of the macro mode but if I focus on a distant subject then move the slider out of macro this fixes it.

With the Cosina the camera mad horrible gronching noises but hopefully no long tern effect.

K10D has now been round the clock once with over 10,000 pix taken so seems fairly sturdy. (Fingers crossed !!!).

Ian Mc.
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:09 AM   #3

JUSTS AS a FYI

Having had the SIGMA 70-300mm on both the Canon and Pentax platform....
Even on (orig Rebel 300D w/hacked firmware) AF speed and cosistancy was no where near the K10D (but a muktigenerational relartionship there (I'm not saying anything about the XT's just the 300D orig)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:42 AM   #4
PDL

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
I've been using my tamron70-300 rather a lot, and 2 days ago it made a strange clicking noise when using manual focus.

Feels like there is something loose in it, there is also feel a slight resistance before the click, tried automatic focus and everything seemed to work, it took me some time to find what was different.

Normally the lens only macro focuses in the 180-300 range, you have to flip a switch to change to this mode. Mow it does this in automatic mode from 70-300. The camera's auto focus just turns the focus ring into the macro range. If you switch then to manual mode the focus ring doesn't work. Or maybe I'm to careful (read afraid) to use enough force. (can't believe this is healthy for the camera)

So the lens works but I've got a funny feeling about it, next Tuesday I'll contact the seller.

Has anybody also experienced something like this, and... ... any feedback is welcome
When I purchased my Pentax SF1, I got a Tokina 28-70mm macro zoom. When I read the manual (how strange - someone who reads the manual) it stated that even with the camera AF turned off - I should never - ever manual focus the lens. It seems that during that stage of photographic development (late 80's) that when you manual turned the focus ring (no grip just smooth metal) it spun the focus motor in the camera. I know the Pentax DA lenses have a clutch that allows for manual focus without spinning the motor - You might have stripped a gear in the lens.

If I were you I would find the manual for the lens and see if there is a similar warning. I would also play close attention to what is making noise when the focus ring is moved - the lens or the camera and make the appropriate decision.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 3:45 AM   #5

First off, thanks everybody

Ian, I've used the lens now only to test if it worked, always using my equipment like I was handling eggs, I hope this is just a fabrication fault, and that it gets repaired.

Hayward I was just asking myself if the focus engine could be strong enough to push the focus over the range limited by the switch on the lens.

PDL, I didn't turn the focusing when the camera was on auto focus mode, not even when it was turned off. I'm just baffled on how this could have happened.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote