Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:38 AM   #21

Also ran into one of those flowers again, and with a little more care in focus and stillness.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:00 AM   #22

robar wrote:
Quote:
kjell,
fast lenses?? have you got the 135mm f1.8.. if you do, i think i may have a younger sister that's still available!!!

roy
Sad enough, that's one I miss. There's been two or three on ebay the last year, but they all gave me severe wallet-ache, so I had to refrain from bidding.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:02 AM   #23

Quote:
I think the blur of musicians actually playing works in favor as well.
maybe like this?
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:08 AM   #24

flash is a tool
like any other pice of camera equipment
i use it when i need to or feel flash will add something
i doubt i could of got either of these two photos withiout flash

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:11 AM   #25

Hi Hayward,

Well there ya go! Good examples. The club shot illustrates a situation where available light captures the look and mood. Kjell's shot does show better execution with the sharpness of the face and head, the blur of the arms and hands. Here's one of mine (but with a subject that's more in my style)

The flower shot, IMO, shows where it would have been better to use flash. While the shot has merit -- it does show that you can shoot in near darkness, and get a recognizable image, but that's about all -- I'm not impressed by the sharpness, detail, and color that I usually look for in a flower shot.

Here's one that I think benefitted from flash

. . .But that's just the way I see things. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:24 AM   #26

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
flash is a tool
like any other pice of camera equipment
i use it when i need to or feel flash will add something
i doubt i could of got either of these two photos withiout flash
And once again what I have said many times now.... flash is very nice when you are in a stageable/confined./controlable space. (like the bug not going anywhere in a few square inches)

Works very poorly for on the fly stuff (especially outdoors) unless just lucky.... and even if OK... often flat looking with a just black background.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:30 AM   #27

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hayward,

Well there ya go! Good examples. The club shot illustrates a situation where available light captures the look and mood. Kjell's shot does show better execution with the sharpness of the face and head, the blur of the arms and hands.
Well no goes FAR beyond that.... it was also obviously studio/theater lighting so color temp (what typical tingsten is balanced for) was right (so essentially white) and and bright enough light for relatively any exposure he chose. If not for the blur I would almost think that was bounce flashed.

Also as to.....

"The flower shot, IMO, shows where it would have been better to use flash. While the shot has merit -- it does show that you can shoot in near darkness, and get a recognizable image, but that's about all -- I'm not impressed by the sharpness, detail, and color that I usually look for in a flower shot."

Well sorry if REALITY is not good for/serves you well........ yes I could have PP boosted and turned it BRIGHT WHITE and noisey, but sorry how dim it was and ACTUALLY LOOKED..... wasn't under a spot, this time, but serves memory of the situation PERFECTLY... for what actually WAS.

At F2 and that range just what are you expecting for DOF anyways???? The center is sharp especially given shutter.

And once again for the cat a very tightly LIMITED range CONTROLED situation.... and again YES flash is great for that stuff, but again not really for on the fly stiuff esoecailly outdoors, or a indoor space you are going to distroy atmoshere of the shot and REALLY ANNOY people around you. Maybe not for a shot or two....

But I took at least 50 shots that night alone in that bar (and many rapid fire enough that the BEST flash on earth would not be recharged in time for).... and how annoying would that be all flash... even if just to the musicians.

Personally my BIGGEST use for flash in the big world is fill.... for things like this, where other wise pier Tiki Bar would just be a big black sillohette.

And geeze before anyone says anything about flash coverage a vertical frame (any flashes (IF NOT OFF CAM) worst horiz coverage at distance) plus a 0.4x front of lens WA conv so flash zoomed for half FL besides.... not really all that bad (generally not an issue for horiz frames with the WA... note center foreground brick well lit...tilted down a bit more likely overly white).

And for those keeping notes here a Promaster (won't work right... will damage your camera) P-7000M

Damage remains to be seen... but nearly daily use for a few months (having measured the voltages no reason to think so just normal digital switching 5V, and no question of working right they also claim as no way, plus P-TTL functionality, and zoom head tracking to lens zoom... on/of cognicence for flash on/off vs avail light or flash shutter speed, etc.)

Oddly enough seeming to be looking to upselling to flash that yet does not exist last I looked at their site. There is a (much less capable) 5700 series DX but not a 7000 (7500) DX

Maybe the 700oM is not good on the *isT's, but seems no problem on the K's at least the 10D

Attached Images