Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:39 PM   #1

That's me folks. Not only did I buy the Samsung GX-10 but I don't get exotic birds in my Oxfordshire garden! The best I got at the weekend was this:

Someone told me that it was a starling. What do I know, I was born and bred in London and the only birds we ever saw were pigeons and sparrows.

The photo was taken with the GX-10 plus an 8 year old Sigma 28-200mm. The shot was hand held at 1/350th and f8, the focal length was 200mm, ISO was 100.

Must admit that 6 weeks into my ownership I am not as happy as I would like. Nothing to do with the camera, all to do with my inability to take good photos! I exaggerate a bit but having used a compact digital camera for the last 6 years (and complained about how light they are) I am now having to come to terms with the weight and size of the GX-10. I always had a steady hand with my Pentax SLR and just assumed that it would be like riding a bike - only it's more like falling off a bike. So my mantra now is practise, practise and more practise. Then, once I can hold the damn thing steady, I can start to play with the buttons/dials.

If it sounds a bit negative, it shouldn't - I love my Samsung!!!
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:12 PM   #2

you don't know camera shake until you hold an older-generation Pentax DSLR and try to find somewhere to put your right pinky finger!
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:34 AM   #3

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
If it sounds a bit negative, it shouldn't - I love my Samsung!!!
And by the way if you haven't seen despite Samsung saying no need for firmware, (camera is perfect) update have finally released them.... likely the same as the long out Pentax ones, but in the file format a Samsung would be looking for.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:34 AM   #4

Thanks Hayward, I have already upgraded. Not that I need any of the additional features ... yet!

Altho' I said that we don't get any exotic birds that might not be exactly true. Living at the foot of the Chiltern hills we are lucky enough to have red kites in the area. I believe these are still fairly rare across the UK whereas here, we have loads. I had hoped to snap one at the weekend but the best I got was when 2 flew into view just long enough for me to point and click. The result isn't brilliant but at the same time quite pleasing:

They came from the left and almost immediately returned from whence they came. Which was a pity as that is where the sun was and also the houses. It really was a case of now or never. Same lens as before this time 1/1000 at f8

The other bird we had at the weekend was this one

I was quite happy with this as the helicopter was flying overhead, which meant panning as I took the shot (1/500th at f5.6), albeit not very quickly. The fact that it isn't a huge blurry mess is a bonus.

Keith

Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:30 AM   #5
TC3

I think you need to get out of that back garden and go out and about. Plenty to take pictures of in Oxford as well as the surrounding counties.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:53 AM   #6

welcome to the board.

a little PP never hurt.
Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:05 AM   #7

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
I think you need to get out of that back garden and go out and about.
I do escape occasionally. About a month ago I was in Pembrokeshire and took this of Whitesands Bay

Then a couple of weeks ago I was at Cardiff Bay

My main problem at the moment is that I am just not happy with my technique. Plus my composition skills need to be developed. They have definitely gone backwards since getting the dSLR.

Must improve soon as I have trips to Menorca and NW Scotland coming up so lots of photo ops. Might even be brave and start shooting RAW

Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:11 AM   #8

first shot is great. second i really like. the third one is too busy for me. without the platform and i think it would work. IMHO

roy
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:48 PM   #9

Really like the second one.

The Samsung is not really a poor relation (although I did describe it as such on another forum). It does what most DSLRs do these days, and enables the user to capture some great shots.

The only problem/challenge is the learning curve for a semi-pro DSLR as opposed to an amateur DSLR.

Personally I find it fun to try and master the camera, no matter how many times the delete key is hit.

I would recomend setting the camera up as Roger does - ie P mode, JPG and watch for blown highlights. If necessary use spot metering as opposed to matrix. That way you can concentrate on the composition rather than worry about the 3,000+ different settings.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:15 PM   #10

Like your pictures, the flying red kites, the first beach and the statue. I know what you mean about composition - that's one of the hardest thing for me. I'm another one that uses P mode unless I'm doing something specific - I've done dumb things only too often (like putting an A lens on and leaving the mode set on manual - missed a number of potentially good shots of a lovely Stellars Jay because of that!). I do shoot mostly raw - I really like the ability to easily change things and I find Photoshop and Lightroom fun to play with.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote