Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:14 PM   #1

for your home depot listing about the aluminum cases. altho i own a few aisles in a few home depots this case was new to me. <$30 later i have this. i'll probably replace the gray dividers with black because they are a breeze to make and the craft store did not have gray foam that i wanted. i'll do the lid next for accessories.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:00 AM   #2

Lookin' good. I hunted for similar cases in the camera stores and online and was put off at the cost. Some not as good as the one you bought are going for nearly 200 dollars....Amazing what you can find at Home Depot every now and then..

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:34 AM   #3

I had seen a similar case at my local Lowes store. Had the foam that you could 'pluck out' the pieces for a custom fit. Hesitated on buying. Went back the next weekend, and they were all gone.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:49 AM   #4

problem with it is that it does not come with enough inserts. i took some 1/8'' plywood, 1/8'' foam, and some double faced tape to make more. when you see the way they slip in you'll see how easy it is to make more.

roy
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:51 AM   #5

I have the same case, Sams Club $20 and went to a foam shop (Yes there are shops that sell only foam in larger cities) in Milwaukee and got some sheets with squares already cut out.

FWIW a friend that does seats for classic cars for a living told me the other day that he uses an electric carving knife to cut foam in case you want to use a solid piece instead of the square cut out type.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:41 AM   #6

I used the dividers from the first one to use on the second one...this only till I decide the final setup. I may do as you sugested and get the thin plywood and foam covering. The black foam I used with the long lenses needs to be a lille thinner..It is extra dense archival foam used to store delicate items and is just too thick. The plus of it is they throw enough away at work that I have a good supply on hand!You can cut it with a band saw....also got several of those at work.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:06 AM   #7

i've got one out in the shop. the closed cell foam was what i was looking for. 1/2'' thick tho. i completely covered the inserts with d/f tape and then took a speed square and utility knife to cut out the slots and ends. this way it's easy to configure for different contents.the craft stores sell both.
i'll probably put another 1/2'' of foam in the bottom and top once i decide on the top.

roy