Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1

I have this flash gun and, in my limited use of it, seem to be having difficulties. Today I found it blowing out many of the pics I was trying to take. This may have been related to the black background, I don't know, but I ended up doing better with the ambient light and fast primes. I have also noticed that even in P-TTL mode I can only get 1/180 shutter speed.

As I remember, there was a serial number cut off, before which this flashgun needed to be rechipped to work on the K series cameras. Does anyone happen to remember the details on that?

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2

I am just cut and pasting the statement that was made by another member in the last discussion re the rechipping and the related serial number......

"A post on DPR said that EF500 DG 500 Super s/nos above 8063038 are OK with the K100D."

You can also call Sigma and ask them if you want to get the info from the horses mouth

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:54 PM   #3

What ISO were you shooting at??? Many flashes are designed to work at/assume ISO 100 for their metering/compensations. Which also lends the benefit of great range at higher ISO's (Like 100 ft or more)

After all is there really a point to a ISO 400 or higher flash shot at 5 ft?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:14 AM   #4

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I have this flash gun and, in my limited use of it, seem to be having difficulties. Today I found it blowing out many of the pics I was trying to take. This may have been related to the black background, I don't know, but I ended up doing better with the ambient light and fast primes. I have also noticed that even in P-TTL mode I can only get 1/180 shutter speed.

As I remember, there was a serial number cut off, before which this flashgun needed to be rechipped to work on the K series cameras. Does anyone happen to remember the details on that?

Thanks,

Tim
Not sure about the serial number, but I sent mine away last week for re-chipping for the K10D.

With the shutter speed, you also have to put the flash into FS mode then manually set the shutter speed on camera.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:50 AM   #5

I have the EF500 DG ST and I set mine to p-ttl mode, set camera to M with shutter to 1/180 and aperture between f/5.6 and f/8 depending on range and get perfect exposures all thetime.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:43 AM   #6

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:
I am just cut and pasting the statement that was made by another member in the last discussion re the rechipping and the related serial number......

"A post on DPR said that EF500 DG 500 Super s/nos above 8063038 are OK with the K100D."

You can also call Sigma and ask them if you want to get the info from the horses mouth

Feroz
looks like mine will be going back
#8054xxx
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:55 AM   #7

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I have the EF500 DG ST and I set mine to p-ttl mode, set camera to M with shutter to 1/180 and aperture between f/5.6 and f/8 depending on range and get perfect exposures all thetime.

Crash
I don't think that is using P-TTL as you can do that with a manual flash.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:18 PM   #8

Thanks Feroz and everyone else. I have not used the flash a whole lot and, despite reading mtclimber's flash thread several times, still have a great deal to learn about using flash. I got the manual out tonight and will play with it more. My serial number is just beyond the cited number but I am not sure what the definative test would be.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:26 AM   #9

The way I understand P-TTL is that it takes a preflash to determine how much flash is required.

If I happen to choose manual exposure mode to determine what setting I want for DOF etc, then the flash HAS to use P-TTL to determine the correct amount of light for correct exposure.

Otherwise if I select Av mode and select f/5.6 to give me the DOF I want then the shutter drops down to 1/50sec and so forth. I want 1/180 or 1/100sec so I don;t get motion blur from my subjects. The only way to get f/5.6 and 1/180sec with my flash on the camera is to go to M mode, I don't think that stops the flash operating in P-TTL mode.

All I know is that was how I was taught when I did my course and it worked on both my K10D and DL and the Nikon D200 with an SB800 flash.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote