Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:43 PM   #1

the last one was way too heavy for the flash. i went to a store that sells remote control planes, etc. for $3 i got 2 sheets of .75mm styrene. enought to make 4. apply heat to the place you want the bend. this is so light i don't even know it's on the flash.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:42 PM   #2

You had me there for a sec, but now I see how it works.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:46 PM   #3

Hi Roy,

I like your materials idea here. I used styrene to make a temporary mount for my RDS. It's easy to work with, light, cheap, much more durable than paper products, and you can clean it easily when it gets dirty.

One thought though -- how about cutting at the bend and adding a hinge? this would allow you to vary the bounce angle, and you could fold it away if you have occasion to use the flash straight on. I have a Demb diffuser/bouncer and have found the hinged bounce plate pretty versatile. This would also make it more compact to carry as you could fold it in half (or almost). You could also attach a velcro strap (hooks on one side and fluff on the other) and it would be almost instantly attachable to any flash. Okay. . . that's two things. . .

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:08 PM   #4

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy,

I like your materials idea here. I used styrene to make a temporary mount for my RDS. It's easy to work with, light, cheap, much more durable than paper products, and you can clean it easily when it gets dirty.

One thought though -- how about cutting at the bend and adding a hinge? this would allow you to vary the bounce angle, and you could fold it away if you have occasion to use the flash straight on. I have a Demb diffuser/bouncer and have found the hinged bounce plate pretty versatile. This would also make it more compact to carry as you could fold it in half (or almost). You could also attach a velcro strap (hooks on one side and fluff on the other) and it would be almost instantly attachable to any flash. Okay. . . that's two things. . .

Scott

scott,
this sounds good but how do you hinge something thats only .75mm thick??
both of my flashes have swivel and tilt so i can direct the light to where ever. the velcro is in use. ck the pic. this could also be made easily without velcro by bending w/heat the lower part of the plastic to conform with the shape of the flash head.
anyone want one?? 8usd , shipped in lower USA.. my accessory account is always in need of funding....
Quote:
roy
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:46 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
scott,

You'd need to find some small plastic hinges that have some friction to them so the reflector portion would hold position, and I'd think that glue might work -- the hobby stores carry special glues for styrene -- but you'll probably have to have ID to buy it:-)

both of my flashes have swivel and tilt so i can direct the light to where ever.

The adjustable angles can give you a fine tune to the amount of light reflected, and it's direction tho. . .

the velcro is in use. ck the pic. this could also be made easily without velcro by bending w/heat the lower part of the plastic to conform with the shape of the flash head.
anyone want one?? 8usd , shipped in lower USA.. my accessory account is always in need of funding....

It would have sounded like a great deal if you hadn't revealed your costs:-)
Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:31 AM   #6

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
scott,

You'd need to find some small plastic hinges that have some friction to them so the reflector portion would hold position, and I'd think that glue might work -- the hobby stores carry special glues for styrene -- but you'll probably have to have ID to buy it:-)

both of my flashes have swivel and tilt so i can direct the light to where ever.

The adjustable angles can give you a fine tune to the amount of light reflected, and it's direction tho. . .

the velcro is in use. ck the pic. this could also be made easily without velcro by bending w/heat the lower part of the plastic to conform with the shape of the flash head.

It would have sounded like a great deal if you hadn't revealed your costs:-)
Scott
capitalism!!
sheesh, they get 20+ bucks for other diffusers and most of them i doubt cost much more to manufacture.

the hinge is a good idea.. i'll ck around. it would make mailing easier also.
IIRC you can use acetone for glue on styrene. gel superglue would also work.

roy