Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:29 AM   #11

I'm more interested in seeing a follow-up to the K100D targeted at the entry level/budget shooter. A lot of these were probably in the K10D, but I don't want to see the lower end camera get stripped down like the Nikon D40.

I'd say stick with 6mp unless they come up with a better, more sensitive sensor, then maybe 8mp.

Seriously improve the processing power. Better AWB, better noise reduction, better sharpening, etc...

Larger buffer and a faster write speed, at least 12 RAW shots in continuous burst on a fast card.

Brighter viewfinder.

Improve the AS.

More convenient controls for quickly changing ISO.

Program shift.

Finally, I'd like there to be a mode I can activate that would keep the camera in DOF preview when using a manual lens. This way, I can use aperture priority mode on old K-mount lenses, along with exposure compensation.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:15 AM   #12
TDN

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
faster write speed
that's a problem that lies with the cards. memory is always the weakest link in a hardware system.

But the buffer can be larger...I agree with that

I noticed there are 2 approaches. 1 from the technical side, people that want all the bells and whistles and the newest stuff in the camera.
And 1 from the ergonomic side, people that want the camera to handle well, and be compatible with all the older stuff.

I think I'm biased a little more to the latter side. I really want a vertical grip, and TTL would be very nice so there's an alternative to those expensive flashes.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:33 AM   #13

Ben, your remarks aren't bad just hope they don't go evolve in the direction the current point and shoots are going and just destroy a good product.

Some extras :

Extra pixels in the sensor about 20MP but that what would probably drop the max iso to 800 (not needed)

A life preview - :-) - so you can see people balancing the camera at an arms length and blaming the bad sr for their shots. (not needed)

At this point I'm rather content with the k10d, the only thing they could do would be to make the raw file 24bit , might be interesting to get even more out of raw, and maybe they can do this in a firmware upgrade (just maybe)

I'm also a bit curious about the new lenses, they might boost the performance of the camera to a next level (don't know if I'm willing to spend the money however).

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:09 AM   #14

Well you have all your "PRO" desires, actaully I'd be happy if next gen 10D or whatever had a TRUE KA2 mount instead of a crippled one, and the old Power Zooms would work to FULL functionality. (Having just gotten a 70-200 PZ and disaqppointed... but at least it is SMC... the Takumar 70-210 was not)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:17 AM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I haven't tried a K10D so far, just held one once, but I do second the thought of a camera without integral flash. Just a phoney thing to break.
And so what if it does??? Doubt it adds grealy to cost when you are taking a $1000 MSRP camera.....

And it is a convenience when all you want to carry is the camera and nothing else. (Though certainly not ideal)

Honestly that is one of the things that steered me away from considering the Canon 5D besides cost and Canon attitude and towards the Pentax K10D.

And I have an external for my K10D I primarily use now but there are many times times when just not enough time to haul it out if not already mounted.... VS just pop up the internal and shoot when sort range and VS no shot.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:28 AM   #16

TDN wrote:
Quote:
that's a problem that lies with the cards. memory is always the weakest link in a hardware system.
That isn't exactly true. I use a Sandisk Ultra II and get the same performance out of the K100D (and my FZ30 for that matter) that would be expected from the fastest available cards. On the K100D I can do continuous shooting until I hit 5 JPGs (the max the K100D is rated at) and on my FZ30 I can use the same card and completely fill it without interrupting continuous shooting even though the JPGs are 8mp instead of 6mp.

A fast card can be written to at 20MB/s. The K100D can shoot JPGs continuously at 2.8 shots per second. A high quality JPG is typically under 3MB. Averaged up, that's 9MB/s. If the camera supported at least 9MB/s write speed, it should be able to shoot JPGs continuously until the card is full even if the buffer could only hold 2 JPGs. The buffer is actually large enough to hold 3 10MB raw files, so I don't really see that as the major limitation.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:26 AM   #17

Well its relative.... the 10D CAN shoot continuous JPG until you run out of memeory and I think 9 RAWS, and still only drop to a couple of sec or less per after.

Never been a problem and I don't use supper cards.

But I would not expect that to ever be an improvement made to the 100D as long as there is a 10D. One of the significant (along with CPU, its not just buffer size and cards) things that makes it the less expensive option it is, besides the sensor.

Doubt you will ever see a pentaprism in the 100D either.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:59 PM   #18

i play with a d80.. i wish my k100d focus that fast =).. may bethese new ss lenses will help so...
johnyeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:05 PM   #19

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Doubt you will ever see a pentaprism in the 100D either.
I haven't play with K10d yet.. Is pentaprism that much better? My k100d seem to be pretty bright for me ...
johnyeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:57 PM   #20

I was very happy with the DL2 until I got the K10D.

Now I can manual focus with too much trouble without putting in the Split-ring focus screen.

So for me it does make a big difference. But then I also wear glasses.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote