Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:03 PM   #1

In my discussions with Pentax, I voiced some of my observations about the Pentax K10D and what I would like to see. These were rather simple and could be addressed in the next models. Unfortunately some of those suggestions cannot be addressed in Firmware updates. These changes must be implemented to convince other professionals that Pentax provides all of the expected solutions demanded by most pro's.

The first issue I discussed was the lack of an input for studio flash. That in my opinion was a flagrant oversight considering the simplicity of doing so.

The flash synchro could go as high as 1/250 th of a second, allowing those using fill flash outdoors to decrease their depth of field.

The AWB must be improved. There is no reason that the AWB cannot be closer to 5500k when rectifying mixed sources.

All of the lenses manufactured by Pentax should not have any BF or FF issues. There have been inconsistencies with the 21-Limited lens. This kind of insecurity associated with using this lens does not add to user confidence. The fear of the subject being out of focus while doing a pro shoot and being paid for it does not reflect well on the photographer, if the images are out of focus.

A shooting speed of 5 fps for intermediate models would help to convince those photographers shooting action, not to use the 3.3 fps excuse for not switching to Pentax. The high end version could shoot up to 7 fps.

Pentax may have to compete against Sony, Nikon and Canon in the larger sensor size arena. If the norm becomes FF or perhaps a 1.25 factor and it becomes the standard across the board, Pentax must be prepared to, either take the lead and do so at a price point that is reminiscent of the pro Canon or Nikon bodies that sold for around 2k dollars. I know that if Pentax were to go FF or 1.25, many pro's would consider them. As we all know, sensor size attracts certain profiles that feel insecure unless those criteria are satisfied.

A Pentax body without integral flash. Most pro's use off camera flash and rarely use the flash provided with the camera. Perhaps the intermediate bodies could integrate the flash in to camera.

Improve the "SR" as well as the sensor cleaning mechanism.

The capacity to choose to shoot from 50-3200 iso with an option to go to 6400 iso with improved noise performance.

That would do nicely for my own use...You can add your own.

Other than that, the K10D is almost perfect.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
http://www.benjaminkanarek.com
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:09 PM   #2

Right now the only thing on my Pentax wishlist is thatI hopethey will still be in the business under the Pentax name for the next 30 years, just like they have continued to be in the past.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:18 PM   #3

ben,
you can tell them there's an old mad hippy in dallas that's really POed about no TTL. other than that, i'm happy.

check this out. he's a homeboy to pentax.
http://www.lennartnilssonaward.se/2006/index.html

roy
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:40 PM   #4

Well I agree with Ben about the WB and FF/BF issues that could be taken care of and should have been already.

At least in the studio you do have the option, although not the greatest one of shooting it over, but with wildlife the one you take is the one you get of that presentation of a bird of animal.

I also would like the SR to be a bit better, closer to VR/IS and the dust removal system should as least work to some extent and not just make noise.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:59 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
ben,
you can tell them there's an old mad hippy in dallas that's really POed about no TTL. other than that, i'm happy.

check this out. he's a homeboy to pentax.
http://www.lennartnilssonaward.se/2006/index.html

roy
Thank you Roy for the info..His work is Extraordinary...Surrealistic.

Thanks Again
Ben
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:04 PM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Well I agree with Ben about the WB and FF/BF issues that could be taken care of and should have been already.

At least in the studio you do have the option, although not the greatest one of shooting it over, but with wildlife the one you take is the one you get of that presentation of a bird of animal.

I also would like the SR to be a bit better, closer to VR/IS and the dust removal system should as least work to some extent and not just make noise.

Tom
Are you kidding? Shooting it over? The word "Re-Shoot" today is akin to commiting "Hari Kari". That just cannot happen. The best thing might be to manually focus if you see the problem immediately on the screen or change focal lengths if you can.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:29 PM   #7

I haven't tried a K10D so far, just held one once, but I do second the thought of a camera without integral flash. Just a phoney thing to break. And get rid of the "programme modes" (Just a few left on the K10D, right? Are they all useful?)

The focussing question is of course crucial. Anything that claims to be "auto" should work just fine without operator intervention. A question of quality control or lens design?

Personally I wouldn't mind a full frame sensor, but I would sure be p*ssed off if I recently had bought a new DA*-lens. I admit that the noise issue is holding me back a bit from buying a K10D. I like concert and theatre shooting, and it's nice to be able to use 1600 with the DS. Iwouldn't mind to haveSR though.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:13 PM   #8
TDN

Full frame isn't a priority for me. I even like the FOV crop factor and the ability to use the "sweet spot" on every old lens.

What I would like is TTL support, combined with P-TTL. (They could do it in the DS, why not in newer models?)

Like ben said, a place to hook up a studio setup would attract much more pro or semi-pro users.

50-6400 ISO is a little extreme and "wishful thinking" if you ask me. I'd be very glad with 80-3200

SR is a plus, but as soon as it interferes with anything that's important for the quality or handling of the camera, I don't need it.

DEFINITLY keep the wheather sealing. I'm saving up fo the K10D for that alone.

Drop out of the megapixel-race. Pentax have never been copy-cats, why start now? SO the 400D has 10 MP, who gives a damn? I'd be much happier with a great 8 MP sensor than with a ok-ish 10 MP sensor.

Offer a vertical grip on all models, even consumer ones. I hate the fact I can't get a Pentax brand grip for my DL.

And for heaven's sake, NEVER drop the top LCD screen. I use that thing all the time and I hate to see it disappear on cameras like the 400D, D40 and E-400

So in short: give me a K11D with 8 MP, (SR), TTL and P-TTL support, 80-3200 ISO, wheather sealing and a vertical grip for 700 euros and I'm a very happy camper!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:06 PM   #9

I only care about advanced amateur/K10D range camera. All your suggestions are good, but what I would like to see is: 50-3200 ISO, better metering, faster AF, better white balance with dedicated button, dedicated flash compensation button, AF assist light built-in, Face detection in play mode, expanded dynamic range with lower noise, and more user settings. I am a noob and this is what I like from Pentax's competitors even though I think my K10D is nearly perfect.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:25 AM   #10
PDL

No built in flash? Great it's about time - absolutely worthless.

ISO 50 - yeah baby - how about ISO 25

How about a real old fashioned X sync - so I can use my really old manual flash (2 inch flash tube, six second recycle time, 1/2000 flash) will burn your eyes out.

FF - don't care that much, FPS - don't use it - 5 FPS would be nice though.

P-TTL and TTL flash capability - OK I'll agree to that.

Things you did not talk about.

A B&W version - no bayer layer - no demosaic algorithm's - no interpolations - real RAW.

By default de-couple focus from the d*mn shutter button - still have AF but give me back the control. -- by default.

Lose the d*mn beep - for anything.

Give me back my DOF markings on the lenses - or give me the little circular guides a-la DOF Master.

Give me interchangeable viewfinders (like my old Exa had) push a button and the pentaprism comes off in your hand so you can look straight down into the top of the camera.

Last - give me a bottle opener - cold beer is never too far away.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote