Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1

I have always had a passion for history and I love putting "old and obsolete" things back into use. That is probably one of the things that attracted me to Pentax, the idea of using old lenses on a digital camera. Prior to my recent interest in photography, researching and collecting old firearms was my primary hobby, mostly pieces from about 1880-the end of WW II. This past weekend I decided to drag a few out to the front yard and try taking still life photos.

I quickly learned that this, like everything else in photography, is more challenging than it looks. I also learned that I need a larger selection of backdrops. All of these were taken with the K100d and a F 50mm f/1.7 lens using natural light. This was also my first extended experimentation with RAW. The images were converted using the Lightroom demo and cropped and resized with PSP.

As always, constructive criticism, hints, and tips are appreciated and hopefully I have not offended anyone with the choice of subject matter.

Thanks,
Tim

Marlin 1889 (.32-20) rifle and Hopkins and Allen (.32 S&W) break open revolver, both circa 1890.

Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2

Closer look at the Hopkins and Allen.
Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:35 PM   #3

1895 Steyr Mannlicher and Frommer Stop (both from the Austro-Hungarian Empire), both manufactured in 1917.

Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4

From England, 1912 manufacture Lee-Enfield #1 Mk III, 1940 proofed Webley revolver and 1907 dated bayonet.
Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:39 PM   #5

The Webley again.

Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:40 PM   #6

Last one. I know I have a lot of practice ahead of me, but I have been toying with the idea of producing a small run of calendars along these lines. It is probably a pipe dream, but I know there would be a market for one with well done pictures and the idea of making a few dollars to pay for more camera equipment has a certain appeal. So any thoughts on how I could improve these would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Tim

Russian 1895 Nagant revolver, manufactured in 1908.

Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:53 PM   #7

I like your idear and composition are real good but like you said the back drops are hurting it. The guns which are the subject would show up much better with better back drops. Go to a fabric store and just buy a couple of yards of black and white felt.

Jim
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:11 AM   #8

Tim, I have to agree with Jim the backgrounds are a bit to distracting with the guns.
They work better with the revolvers.
The enfield in sepia and the webley below are my favourites.

The enfield sepia just gives an idea of age, nice shots - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:52 AM   #9

the sepias don't do a thing for me. to me there is no definition between the subject and the background.
the Steyr Mannlicher and the webley are the best. the BG of the Steyr Mannlicher really works for me .
the Nagant needs some thing, i just don't know what.

roy
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:50 AM   #10

I hunted when I was in High School with a 1882 Winchester in 25-20, which I believe is a necked down 32-20. The sepia tone images tend to look like the old time photos of the time when the rifle and pistol were made, so I think that is kind of nice.

I like the others too, even with the backgrounds you used, which I actually like.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote