Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1

Hello Pentax People --

I am *this* close to taking the plunge and getting a Pentax k100d with kit lens, but, being a rank amateur photographer and new to DSLRs, amgetting a small case of cold feet (or cold wallet). I haveseveral concerns andwould appreciate your thoughts.

1)I Feel a Bit Indulgent Getting a DSLR -- Am I ready for a DSLR? I have a 9 month old daughter and have taken 200 jillion photos of her with myCanon point and shoot. (a small sampling of which can be seen here: www.flicker.com/photos/pstutheit ). I'mgetting a handle onusing the manual controls,but by no means have I maxed-out the capabilities of the Canon. Sometimes I get 'em right and the shot is great, others (at least as often as not) I screw it up somehow. My reasoning is that, if I'm committed tobetter mastering the craft of photography, why not get a camera thatI can grow into? Anybody else step upto a DSLR under similar circumstances? Feel good/bad about the decision?

2) The White Balance and Low-light Focusing Issues -- I've read that the K100D has trouble white-balancing indoors on auto, but that it's fine if you manually white-balance or use the indoor pre-set. With a squirmy baby (soon to be toddler), I fear I will be frustrated by the lack of effective auto-white balance indoors. On the other hand, I've read that the indoor white-balance problems many DSLRs. Finally, I'm a bit concerned about the low-light focusing issues I've read about. I take lots of pictures of the baby indoors under normal indoor lighting. Does theslowautofucs I've read about frustrateany otherPentax parents?

3) Value -- I know the K100Dis, by all reports, an exceptional value, especially when you consider all the old and relatively cheap lenses you can get for it. I'velately seen theCanon XTi w/lens for $729, and am a bit intrigued by the two-lens Olympus kit. I don't want either of those, do I?

Thanks for reading and/or responding. I'm excited to take my photography to the nextlevel and think the Pentax is the way to go(which is why Iposted this here). Help me get over these few nagging doubts and get me shooting!

Scoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:15 PM   #2

Here are a few thoughs:

- Yes, for whatever reason white balance can be off indoors, but this is an easy fix in software, and you can always shoot raw. which records NO white balance (you apply it later). You can also manually measure white balance.

- Shake reduction I have used ONCE on a friend's k10d. I have a *ist DL that doesn't have it and in my opinion it's worth its weight in gold

-Viewfinder on the pentax SLRs are generally the best. The Canon VFs are by far the worst.

-Pentax lenses are shooting up in price, regrettably. It is a misconception that every lens with Pentax on it is good. Plenty of good lenses, but also plenty of stinkers. But you get what you pay for....

DA 18-55 (kit lens) and DA 50-200 are incredible values. The Pentax 50mm, in any form (screwmount M42, manual K, a, F, FA) in either 1.4 or 1.7 is LEGENDARY. Destroys all the competition. I got my m42 for 65 bucks and pilled the trigger on a new autofocus version for 220, no regrets. If you go for the "limited" lenses... 700 bucks and up, you are getting world-class optics.

That being said, the Olympus probably has the excellent dust reduction, which works well. Pentax SLRs (k100d and older) have nothing. If you can get the Olympus 2-lens kit for cheap, by all means go for it. It is also very good.

Canon's CMOS sensor has lower nouise at higher ISOs, but this is very hard to evaluate, and if you buy a fast lens (50mm/1.4), coupled with shake reduction, this is a non-issue, because you'll always use lower ISO.

BTW, Pentax Shake Reductuion (as well as Minolta/Sony's) works on ANY LENS YOU MOUNT. Meaning my 45 year old M42 50mm/1.4 lens would have shake reduction if I mounted it on the k100 or k10d.

Canon's or Nikon's has SR in the lens. wjile it works a bit better, the cost of entry is 800$ and up, and you only get it for that one lens. You are SOL with everything else.

K100d is a steal, especially if you're just getting into it.

Check my thread, k10d vs k100d for some more info.

I don't regret buying a DSLR for a second. All I regret is not having the time to use it more.

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:28 PM   #3

Check out some pics.

While I stink at photography, they demonstrate the excellent image quality of my DL.

This is a 1:1 crop of a larger image. Minimal post-processing. White balance is VERY GOOD in sunlight. 18-55 kit lens

Here is a picture in broad daylight. I didn't know what aperture did at the time. This was one of my first pictures. NO post procerssing.... 18-55 kit lens

Here's my ride. The image is a bit soft, but prints real nice. It was shot in JPEG, the *ist cameras all had soft jpeg. K100d is significantly better. I'm surprised it came out at all. It was taken after a 15 mile bike ride, and my whole body was trembling from fatigue....

Finally, check this website for an in-depth review of the k100d.

There are a couple of negatives mentionned, but they are all but irrelevant in normal shooting.

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html

This guy is a professional engineer and a photographer of over 30 years. His opinion is a lot more educated than the likes of Phil Whatshisface at dpreview
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4

One more. Indoors, marginal lighting, auto white balance, manually focused with the 40+ year old 50mm f/1.4 lens at 1.4!

The lighting in the room had a yellowish cast because of the tint of the fluorescents, and the color of the walls).

While I could have easily corrected this in postprocess, i LIKE my images with a warm yellow tint. This one is a bit excessive though.

Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:24 PM   #5

no way you can go wrong with the k100. anything you read negative about it is usually a failing with the other entry camera brands. quit vacillating and go get, you know you are or you would not have posted this thread. get the 50-200 while you are there and you'll have a minimum of a year to grow into it. sometime in the next few months you are going to want a fast 50.. there are scores of them out there that will do the job--inexpensively.

GOyourBAGBI

oh, welcome to the board.

roy

hehe
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:23 PM   #6

I was debating on this one too, buy or not to buy but for ~$480 after rebate its better than getting a new point and shoot.

If you buy the 50-200 lens with the body you would get $150 back on rebate. Better than buying them separately they only give you $50 for the body and $50 for the lens.
maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:48 PM   #7

both of you - GO!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:03 PM   #8

I bought mine already last week. Been playing with it everyday. It is such a joy.

I remember my old SLR I cant really play with it that much. I cant see the shots I made right away, harder for me to learn from mistakes.
maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:51 PM   #9

Scoey - If you buy the K100D (esp is you get the 50-200mm as well), it has program modes to help you. This means you can enjoy all the benefits of a DSLR while still using it like a point and shoot.

I have just invested in the K10D, and insisted my g/f have my DL2. She wasn't too impressed until I set it in AUTOPIC and let her fire away. Then she looked at the shots and decided her bridge camera (another one of my old ones) could go.

Only 2 weeks on and she is already switching the camera modes to use landscape and macro mode, as well as changing lenses.

So take the plunge and invest, and remember that this forum will always assisst you should you get into difficulties.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:40 PM   #10

Thanks for the encouragement so far. I'm almost there.

Nobody has anything specific re: the speed of low-light autofocus?

I'm not aware of the $150 rebate deal. If you get the body, kit lens, and the 50-200 lens, you get $150 off? What's the total cost, after rebates, work out to?
Scoey is offline   Reply With Quote